Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Australian And New Zealand Coins, How Far Back Can We Go - First Edition

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 693 / Views: 11,314Next Topic
Page: of 47
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2845 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  07:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It is about 27mm in size and a slightly lighter metal than cupro nickel. Does anyone know about this?

Only in Australia would we call a round building, a square. LOL

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces73610.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_Square

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 15,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2232 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Steve, that helps greatly.

Strange thing is my coin is larger than 22mm, so they must have issued several sizes of it. Maybe it was a token you used to get up to the 48th floor observatory?
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2845 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  02:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

A one dollar from NZ.

From Aus.
A 2 cent.

View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 15,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2232 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  03:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1967 was the year Decimal currency was introduced in New Zealand on July 10th, a full 17 months after Australia. As a result some 256 million coins were pressed into circulation along with nearly 100 million banknotes!

The coins issued also included a large dollar coin as a commemorative.

Some 500k of these were released, 200k in cases like this, 250k more in uncirculated sets and 50k of them polished. They were not meant for circulation being sold at $3 each. Today you can not give them away as every man and his dog bought them and the sets.

Here is a set of 1967 Uncirculated coins, I have multiples of these and almost without exception are loose as the Pliofilm packaging of them was beyond dreadful and have corroded.
The eagle eyed of you may notice the 1 cent is from a polished set.

Reverse showing the Machin portrait of the Queen and the relative size of the coins next to each other. The 50 cent has a edge with 5 sections each of plain and reeded milling to separate it from the 20 cents.

This pretty bad photo from years ago shows a typical packet, this is the polished set and as you can see it is awful!

The sets were sent in the cardboard cases I showed yesterday, but some did come in vinyl wallets and I have seen one upright with the coins on a horrible pressed vinyl packet with an opened top for each coin, so if you tip it upside down, outcomes the coin.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2232 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  03:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More here as 67 was such a huge year in New Zealand.

Numbers issued for circulation (261 million not 256m)

1c - 120 million
2c - 75 million (About 50k are the scarce Bahamas mule

NOT MINE!

5c - 26 million (Including a few thousand no tail errors)
10c - 17 million - marked "One shilling" until 1969.
20c - 13 million
50c - 10 million (About 750k dot above the 1 variety)

Also some 300k extra of each coin for sets, 250k UNC and 50k Polished, in the 50k polished are the 500 Ballot sets (Coins same quality but in special red cases)

I have lots of worn change coins, but also lots of loose 1967 UNC and even Polished coins - every collection I buy in seems to have 1 or more sets of them!

A typical pile of "Liberated coins" I have sold dated 1967.

Pink label (UNC cheap) sets often are stained and the plastic has broken down, often I get "Green coins" which are copper staining and leaching from the corrosive PVC in the packaging. People in 1967 had no idea how to package coins for long term storage.

Finally lets look at the notes of the era that came out!

The Queen has the big hair and Tiara, this style disappeared in 1980. These are De La Rue printed.

No NZ for 1966, but I may have a surprise, as its the year something came out, not when it was dated

Edited by Princetane
01/24/2021 03:34 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2232 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  03:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Before you all assume I keep my set coins in bags and buckets, I have 3 sets of them behind high quality Mylar flips, preserved for posterity!

2,000 Posts - Yee haa!

My Australia for 1967 is nowhere near as exciting, apart from the 50 cent which suddenly became unaffordable as silver prices shot up that year, all the coins were issued and numbers were plentiful - not on the level of 1966 but not like NZ or Britain either which issued no coins for circulation at all in the 2nd years of their decimal currency (1968 and 1972).

Needless to say, any 1967 dated coins still in circulation in Australia are likely to be in that worn F - VF range after 53/54 years!

Here I have chosen to show another worn 20 cent piece and a better 1 cent and a very nice 5 cents (I struck paydirt with my Aussie 5 cent pieces!)

Events in New Zealand seemed to miss Australia - but they did send some 6 million old pennies to NZ between Sep 1966 and Mar 1967 to alleviate a penny shortage here and then they brought all our scrap cupronickel Halfcrowns and other predecimal coins as well!

Australia was also considering issuing a silver one dollar coin and there were proofs of it issued dated 1967. It showed a swan and is very rare around $1000 an example. This was into response of a silver 50 cent coin now having 70 cents of silver in it, even though silver prices dropped back in 1968 - they knew the future was in base metals.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8121 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  04:39 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Princetane - congratulations on 2,000 posts!

My 1967 NZ dollar:

Pillar of the Community
Australia
2845 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  04:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coins and notes PrinceTane.

Congrats on your 2000th post.
I've been here for nearly 15 years
and I only have 2700 posts. :)

OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
Australia
754 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  04:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nealeffendi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pricetane, that building is Australia Square Tower (but it's round, go figure). It is in Sydney (George St, opposite Wynyard station) and has (had?) a revolving restaurant at the top called The Summit. It was the tallest building when it opened (52 stories?) but others are now taller.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2845 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  03:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

First year of Aussie decimal coins.

Here's a couple of copper coins followed by the round 50c.

OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8121 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  04:41 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1966 Australia 50 cents:
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2232 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  04:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Australia in 1966 had a big year with decimal currency being phased in. The task of minting 1.05 billion coins (Figure has been rounded as most denominations had coins minted in Canberra, Perth, Melbourne and London varieties), had taken since mid 1964.

Decimal Day was February 14th and the coins were all released in circulation. The sets consisted of a Bronze 1c and 2c, a cupro nickel 5c, 10c and 20c and a 80% silver 50 cent piece.

All the designs were by Stuart Devlin and showed Australian wildlife. The 5c - 50c are all still used today and the Machin portrait of the Queen appeared on the back.

1c, 2c, 5c and 20c (The lower 3 coins are nice, probably from a mint set, the 20c is my usual worn one)

Silver 50 cent coin - 2 coins here so I can show front and back, the design is the same to 1969 and later coins.

The 10 cents, here I have the two types as shown, none are rare but it is interesting. Differences between the mints on the 1c, 2c and 5c are often visible by claws and feathers on some of the animals. I haven't done too much analysis here and many of my 1966 coins are very worn - so its hard.

Coin obverses and showing relative size.

Sets saw much lower mintages than for New Zealand! Just 105k in total of Uncirculated sets were minted in various permutations including red and blue wallets, display cards and special wallets as presentation pieces to dignataries and the very scarce "Operation Fastbuck" wallets which were handed out to the lorry drivers moving the billon coins and notes around Australia in time for release. I dont have any to show sorry. Locally made sets came out too, one of the most bizarre I have seen is the coins mounted inside a plastic boomerang!

Only 18k Proof sets were issued and many have toned coins. All of these sets are scarce to rare unlike New Zealand's 1965 and 1967 sets which are real common. There was also 43k of a card containing a 1c and 2c coin, McDonald (2009) mentions that these were sold at the Canberra, Melbourne and Perth mints to schoolchildren for 5c and many actually opened the cards and spent the coins, so survivors are rare!

There was no special one off Dollars or other coins either, the 50 cent silver was the big coin - yet with 36 million minted its hardly rare and you can pick them up in EF - MS condition for basically silver value + $2 at most.

Mintages of each coin are (Combined mints and rounded to nearest million).

1c - 412 million (Mostly Canberra and London, a few Melbourne)
2c - 428 million (As above) - Melbourne minted bronze only
5c - 75 million (Canberra and London)
10c - 41 million (As above)
20c - 58 million (Canberra and London, also rolls in London)
50c - 36 million (Canberra only and 18k proofs in sets)

The overall number was fairly low with just over 1 billion coins for 14 million people, while NZ had 256 million for 2.5 million. This was countered by very large mintages of all denominations but the 2c and 5c in 1967 and 1968 (52 million 10 cents in 1967 and 83 million 20c)

As we know, the 50 cents lasted the one year and even in 1969 with the new coin, just 14 million more were minted. the high number of 20c coins minted in the late 60s reflected this gap between 20c and $1 in the currency stakes.

No Australia for 1965 and we pick up the story in sterling times!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2232 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  05:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New Zealand for 1966? Surely not, but yes coins were issued in 1966 the year between the last Predecimal and first decimal coins.

The coins were dated 1965, but they were issued in September 1966 - In sets!

Last Predecimal sets were minted and issued in 1966 at The Royal Mint in London (Decimal coins were being made at Llantrisant). There were 3 grades, the Pink Uncirculated coins, the Green selected coins and the Blue polished coins which were prooflike and the best.

Here I show the 2 top grades and the close up of the Polished coins (More info tomorrow).

The packets were purple and shows the date at bottom R Owen Government Printer 1966 Wellington.

Learn More...
United States
96136 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Jbuck, that is a sweet looking coin. Glad you shared it.

Quote:
I do too, very clean and a nice corner tone coming in on the edges!
Thank you both!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2232 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From this point on, we are leaving the Decimal era and heading back into the Predecimal era, so some basic facts for anyone unfamiliar with these eras.

Australia.

Used the following coins, Halfpenny d, Penny 1d, Threepence 3d, Sixpence 6d, Shilling 1/-, Florin 2/-. Each shilling was made up of 12 pennies and 20 shillings equalled 1 pound = 1

Coins 3d and up were minted in 50% silver between 1946 and 1964
Coins 3d and up before 1946 were minted in 92.5% sterling silver between 1910 and 1945

A crown 5/- was issued for circulation in 1937 and 1938, the latter date is scarce and it did not catch on.

The Penny and Halfpenny were minted in Bronze right through (1911 - 1964)

New Zealand

Was very different, they only got their coins in 1933 and 1940.

They used the same denominations as Australia but also had a halfcrown 2/6,

Coins 3d and up were Cupro Nickel from 1947 onwards to 1965 and were not precious metal but high grade examples are still scarce for pre 1960s dates.

Coins 3d and up were 50% silver from 1933 to 1946, NZ's baser coinage meant very little was used in Australia and bizarrely the NZ Pound was worth slightly more than the Australian one!

NZ Bronze coins were the same as Australia metalwise although only issued from 1940 to 1964.

New Zealand issued crowns in 1935 (Very rare), 1949 and 1953, all of these were one off issues like the large dollars and were not intended for circulation, although the latter 2 did.

The 1949 and 1935 crowns were 50% silver and the 1953 was cupronickel. The 1949 was the only silver predecimal coin issued after 1946.

Issuing patterns

Until 1916 most Australian coins in this series came from the UK and even India. Starting in 1916 most Australian coins were minted in Canberra and Perth with occasional issues from Sydney and Melbourne. In the 1942 - 44 period some silver coins were minted in the USA (Denver and San Francisco) and in 1951 some coins came out of London.

Australian coins were issued most years and there were some big gaps (Like no Florins in 1948 to 1950) and no coins at all in 1937 as they modernised the designs.

Unlike Australia, NZ never minted any of its own coins, the silver coins were all designed in the UK and Bronze in NZ but adapted in the UK. All New Zealand coinage was minted at The Royal Mint in the UK and had to be shipped to New Zealand. No coins at all were issued dated in 1938 and 1966 (Except collectors sets in the later year).

Florins and Halfcrowns were also issued in quantity only between 1947 and 1951, a small issue in 1953 and none of either again until 1961. The other coins were issued most years.

As you will see as we head back, quite a few scarce and collectable dates will show up and more varieties making this era more interesting than the coins all shown thus far.

Strap yourself in for the ride
Page: of 47 Previous TopicReplies: 693 / Views: 11,314Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05