Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Australian And New Zealand Coins, How Far Back Can We Go - First Edition

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 663 / Views: 10,667Next Topic
Page: of 45
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2205 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  12:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY!

In celebration, the coins of Australia are taking today off in the thread!!

No Australian coins dated 1965 were issued. So you won't see any of those uuntil tomorrow. The worn 20 cent coins are gone forever and we now enter my era of Florin and Halfcrown fetish.

Here is New Zealand for 1965, a complete set and all Uncirculated.

My goal is to show every date of every coin we issued in this era, the condition will not always be this good. In fact these are all Pink set (Uncirculated set coins) although the 3d and 1/- came out of circulation.

Yesterday I showed you the blue (Polished) and green (Selected) coins of 1965 minted in 1966. Here the Penny and Halfcrown never circulated and these are set pieces. The others did though.

Some of you may get annoyed as these show ponies are not really circulated. If you wanted I could show you dozens of circulated ones, they are not pretty.

The 3d, d were withdrawn but many of the 6d. 1/- and 2/- circulated in some cases with modern 5c, 10c and 20c coins until 2006 and you can find worn - but why would I show those when you can see these.

As we go back, apart from Halfcrowns and Florins which I have put a lot of effort and cash into, you will see some more "typical" examples.

Unlike other years, 1965 dated coins are all cheap and available and the Halfcrown and Penny which only had mintages of 200k are desirable, but still around $5 each at most.

The 2/- had a huge mintage of 9 million coins and others all generous mintages too.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
01/26/2021 02:35 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2205 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  02:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All my "b" (Reverse) shots will have just a few coins turned over in these years to show the Gillick obverse. As we get back however all will be turned over, especially when we get to George V (1936 and back).

Close up of a 1965 Halfcrown. It is Uncirculated, but has a very weak central strike, pink grade coins like this were struck once, green and blue twice and you can see the difference on this polished one!

Although we switched to decimal currency in 1967, the Halfcrown was withdrawn much earlier in 1965 on May 4th mainly as they did not want confusion with the 50 cents coming in. Jumbo numbers of florins were minted to make up for it.

The last actual Halfcrown for circulation was dated 1963, no coins were minted in 1964 and these 1965 coins are set only pieces.

Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Edited by Princetane
01/26/2021 02:32 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8101 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  03:43 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Happy Australia Day!

Here is my 'pink' 1965 New Zealand uncirculated set!

Quote:
Sets saw much lower mintages than for New Zealand!

Princetane, I suspect that part of the reason so many 1967 NZ decimal sets were minted is because large numbers were sold in the UK. There are of course lots of British people with a family connection to NZ, and the sets were made at the British Royal Mint and probably marketed over here. But I think the crucial difference is that coin collecting as a hobby really exploded in the UK in 1967. In January 1966 a coin collector was considered something of a nerd. By December 1967 virtually everyone was checking their change looking for 1950 and 1951 pennies and other scarce coins. There were three monthly coin magazines and one weekly coin magazine, and just about every bookshop or railway station bookstall sold little pocket guides giving the values of coins. All this was stimulated by the release of pictures of the new decimal coins, the news that halfpennies and halfcrowns would be withdrawn in 1969 and that 1967 would be the last date the old coins would be struck for circulation. And many new collectors started taking an interest in Commonwealth coins at the same time, especially those of New Zealand which was changing to decimals that very year.

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2205 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  05:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool thanks for all that NumisRob.

I never knew about this sudden 1966/67 coin fad! I believe it though as the same thing happened in 1935/36 with stamps, the year of King George's Silver Jubilee saw stamp issues for Britain and almost every place in the empire and it brought heaps of collectors into the fold and more "Omnibus" and other stamp issues floated out after 1935.

With KGVI becoming King this led to a flood of Coronation issues and then new Pictorial sets for every colony and a royal visit in 1939 also ramped things up. More importantly it made British colonial stamps popular in America and other countries started beefing up stamp issues in the late 1930s. Add to that the Depression and war made stamp collecting a great and ration free hobby. Sadly it also led to speculators ripping people off (One US Company sold sets of the KE8 stamps of Great Britain worth 80p for like $5 a set).

Stamps remained popular to the 1950s and with kids up to the 80s. Yet like with coins in 1965, a stamp collector in 1920 was seen as a old man or weird nerd. I think KGV being a collector gave the hobby gravitas too.

Your are right about the Kiwi sets too, they were minted in 1966 and not 1965 and in the UK like all of our Predecimal coins. But you are missing one thing in my NZ coin book.

The sets sold out here and people got annoyed, especially with the Blue Polished sets selling out before they arrived (English and rich pre orders took them up).
Even in Novemeber 1966, they limited sales to one pink and one green set per customer, opening at 8.30 or 9, the green sets had gone by 10.30am and the pinks lasted until 2 - 3 pm.

In 1967 they minted more to make sure this did not happen again. The 1965 sets have a slight value premium around $10 for a Pink set, $15 - $25 for green and $30+ for Blue. I have one of each although the plastic on the pink ones was nasty (You were lucky with yours, its looking nice, but I see toning on your penny) so the pink coins were "Liberated", my Blue and green sets remain intact.

Finally Rob, my intro to Kiwi Predecimal coins discusses them more as well.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2838 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  06:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your Australia Day greetings guys. :)

As PrinceTane said, no coins from Aus this year.
Here's a couple from NZ, but nowhere near as nice
as those already shown.

Florin

Shilling

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 15,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2205 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I might be able to do something about that Steve, I have quite a few shiny 1960s Kiwi coins sitting around!

6 weeks after your first lot, I bought a nice auction in with AU 1961, 62 and 63 Halfcrowns and AU 1951 and 52 Halfpennies, 1960 - 1965 all AU/UNC and have a lot of EF/AU coins of other denoms, some as early as the mid 50s.

Just say the word.

NumisRob - More about the 1966 coin bug, that woudl explain the sudden explosion of coin catalogues issued here in late 66/early 67 and most with price lists and lists of coins to look for and one had the terrible investment advice
"Don't waste your time with worn silver halfcrowns and florins, just hoard halfpennies, as they will become rare!"

That is right, COINS FOR PROFIT

That is right, halfpennies are hot, needless to say the 200 or so worn halfpennies I have in backup are not making my life any easier, even the shiny ones in my A collection have neglible wealth creation factors.

Also part of the reason we suffered that penny shortage then was people hoarding them and looking for errors and the 1945 burnished pennies and 1954/55 Halfpennies.

Yes, let us disrupt commerce so Mr Robb can pay you 4 bob for that 1954 Halfpenny

Halfcrowns were at least reasonably priced in the high grades

They announced the change to decimal currency in 1963 and gave the date in mid 1965, however the coin hoarding picked up pace in mid to late 1966, when stores reported shortages of coins and the banks even issued posters showing coins with the words "We are being missed, please look for us in your home" and it mentioned the average home had 73 coins in it!

These catalogues with prices in pence and cents date perfectly to 1966/67 obviously!

- Who said people in the 60s did not have a sense of humour
All 3 of these images are from Robert Peppings book - New Zealand's History Coined 1933 - 1965

No doubt anything old or shiny was first to disappear and even low value banknotes also ended up hoarded (Mostly 10/- and 1, a few 5, higher notes were still quite rare and the 50 was a months wages for most people!).

Even today some 45% of all our Predecimal coins remain at large! Most are probably rotted away or melted down privately (People sell scrap copper), but a huge amount sits in collections and accumulations.

Was it the same in the UK?

Edited by Princetane
01/27/2021 03:49 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2205 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  03:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay enough history and showboating from me now. We reach 1964 and the era before big glossy sets and ad campaigns for lost pennies.

1964 was a big year of coins, with all but the Halfcrown being issued, already it was decided these would be phased out in early 1965 as decimal currency had been announced and they were doing a 50c not a 25c coin.

Numbers of all coins were very generous and the penny saw an incredible 18 million coins issued, as none were issued in 1965. As many as it was, it was not enough as the subsequent penny shortage of 1966 proved. Numbers of the 6d, 1/- and 2/- were high but not as high as the penny and 3d.

Most of mine here are still UNC, but this will change in the next few years.

You all may have noticed I am only turning over a few of them for the "Obverse" shot as the same image of QE2 is dull I think.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2205 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  03:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finally we have Australia again. In 1964 it was their last year of the Sterling currency issuing.

Only 3 coins were issued in 1964, the silver 3d, and bronze Penny and Halfpenny. Back in November when we were completing the Predecimal thread, I was lacking the Halfpenny, as you can see this has been rectified.

Reverse shot shows that the inscription on Australian coins was Latin rather than the English on Kiwi coins.

None of the 1964 coins are scarce and I am lucky to have generally high grade examples here. However tomorrow with 1963 you will already see some of my pieces are more worn. My Australian collection will never quite approach the level of Kiwi one, so thats where Steve, David, Pepa and NumisRob can all come in

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8101 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  03:53 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1964 Australian halfpenny:

Quote:
Was it the same in the UK?

Definitely. I seem to remember reading somewhere that 97% of the halfpennies in circulation in 1969 were never returned to the banks. However, The Royal Mint deliberately froze the date 1967 on the last pre-decimal coins to stop them being hoarded - the final mintage of the British 1967 penny was a staggering 654 million, and in February 1971 about one in three old pennies in circulation was dated 1967! So brand new 1967 pennies, which were struck until mid-1970, replaced older coins that were being hoarded by collectors.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2838 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  04:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I might be able to do something about that Steve, I have quite a few shiny 1960s Kiwi coins sitting around!

6 weeks after your first lot, I bought a nice auction in with AU 1961, 62 and 63 Halfcrowns and AU 1951 and 52 Halfpennies, 1960 - 1965 all AU/UNC and have a lot of EF/AU coins of other denoms, some as early as the mid 50s.

Not too fussed really PrinceTane. I collect circulation coins, so I don't expect them all to be pristine. If you can fill any holes that would be good, but I wouldn't worry about upgrading. I'll send you an up to date list of what I have soon.

So 1964.

Let's chuck in another Florin and shilling from NZ.

Now from Aus.

Perth penny with die crack.

Half penny

Threepence.

View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 15,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2205 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  04:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool, got plenty of those too!

I love that die crack penny - that is a nice piece.

NumisRob, I hear you 18 million vs 654 million not quite the same level. A few years ago, I remember a dealer was selling unopened bank bags that had 5 each worth of brand new 1964 Pennies and 1965 Halfpennies. Bear in mind 5 was 1,200 pennies and 2,400 halfpennies and the bags weighed around 11kg for the pennies and 14kg for the halfpennies (A half penny weighed 5.73 grams and penny 9.08grams).

I wonder if they exist still now? There would be little market for them after the gimmick they were UNC.

I think they did the same thing with date freezing here, as the Bertrand albums I have are dated 1965 and they have pre printed spaces for coins dated 1966.
Edited by Princetane
01/27/2021 04:49 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2205 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  02:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to 1963, this is the first kind of interesting year in New Zealand sterling coinage. Only 100k of the Florins were minted and it was the last year of Halfcrowns issued for circulation.

As you can see, average conditions are starting to slip. Perfect UNC coins are getting more scarce and only the d, 3d, 1/- and 2/6 are UNC, the rest are AU with the florin dipping towards EF.

The penny and 3d saw generous issues, but all the others had below average numbers minted. The 6d, 1/- and 2/6 all had mintages well under 1 million examples. Despite this, none are rare - but definitely less common and probably the most scarce year of the 1960s.

Close up of the Uncirculated Half crown, this replaced a dull EF/AU example.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2205 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  02:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1963 in Australia was the last year of a complete set of coins in the old Sterling currency and we have silver for the first time complete!

Here is the Florin (UNC) and a worn shilling and decent Penny. As I told you all, My Australia does not reach up to my Kiwi in this era.

The 6d and 3d's all EF/AU. These are from the predecimal thread back in October, until 1956 you will get the two sets of photos, what I have got now and what I already had back then, as you can see, that makes my 1963 complete except the Halfpenny. That thread you can see the heads shot of these coins if you like.

None of the 1963 coins are scarce, all had big numbers, guess they wanted to go out with a bang!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2838 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  03:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I have a reasonably nice Half Crown from NZ.

but a much better Shilling from Aus.

OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2205 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  04:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, that is a beautiful shilling Steve. Lets hope we can get some beautiful Australian pieces off you.

Was the Halfcrown the one I sent you, I remember a request for 62/63 in my swap to you.
Page: of 45 Replies: 663 / Views: 10,667Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05