Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Australian And New Zealand Coins, How Far Back Can We Go - First Edition

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 639 / Views: 10,127Next Topic
Page: of 43
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8086 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  05:02 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A 1963 Aussie shilling with 'circulation cameo'...
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2829 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  07:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Was the Halfcrown the one I sent you, I remember a request for 62/63 in my swap to you.

Hi PrinceTane, my memory is shocking so I had to go back and check. Yes, it was the one you sent me, thank you very much. :)

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 15,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Learn More...
United States
95801 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A 1963 Aussie shilling with 'circulation cameo'...
Excellent!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8086 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  03:11 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1962 Australian halfpenny:
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2191 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  03:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice, you beat me to the punch!

Here is 1962 in New Zealand, a generally big year for coins.

By now the UNC coins have dropped back to the halfpenny, halfcrown and maybe the 3d and 6d. The others are very EFish.
Numbers were generous for all the coins, even the halfcrown had 600k minted, the most since 1951.

Close up of that beautiful halfcrown - practically uncirculated! However 1962 Halfcrowns have worn dies and very weak strikes, hence the worn dies on the shield detail and lips on the left carving.

These photos do not do the coins justice, that coin is a bobby dazzler to use language familiar to NR. That is me I spend more money on coins than I do photography equipment!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
01/30/2021 02:15 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2191 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  03:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Australia 1962 was also coins unlimited and here is my group.

That shilling is so worn it's not true, did someone put it on an angle grinder! The penny is average and dots after "PENNY" mean Perth Mint.

Coins I had in November (Better quality)

A creamy Florin of my classic stable of coins

2 very decent sixpences.

For some reason threepences and halfpennies elude me for this year!

Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2829 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  03:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

From NZ I have a Half Crown (thank you PrinceTane)

Also a one Shilling

From Aus I have a Florin (better ones to come soon)

Shilling

One Penny

and a half Penny

View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 15,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2191 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  03:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those look great, especially your shillings.

Good to see all your Bronze is so nice too.

But people we are missing a 1962 Threepence (LOL)
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2829 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  06:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, just for you PrinceTane, but it's not the best example.

OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2829 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2021  12:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

A few coins from NZ today.

And just a Threepence from Aus.

OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2191 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2021  02:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some beautiful coins there, nice Aussie 3d and 6d and 1/-!

1961 was an interesting year in New Zealand, it was the first issue of Florins and Halfcrowns since 1953 and neither coin is too common. The Halfcrown with just 80,000 minted is the second lowest mintage for a circulation piece after the 1935 3d and the lowest of any Post George V era coin in New Zealand.

The 6d and 1/- also saw modest mintages, the rest was minted in fairly high quantities. By now truly UNC is getting scarce and my coins are mostly high VF to AU in this case.

I had a VF Halfcrown until recently, but have upgraded it to this very high AU one (Looks UNC -but traces of wear on Queen's cheek and neck). Unlike 1962 you will see the strike is sharper, but not fully sharp, the dies from 1950 were still being used (More about that when we reach 1950!) Still I am blown away to have example this high grade.

From 1960 back to 1954 you will just see coins up to the 1/-.
Edited by Princetane
01/30/2021 02:17 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2191 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2021  02:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Australia in 1961 was interesting too. Here is my highlights from the era of King Ming.

Here is an average Penny and Halfpenny and a better shilling (Well compared to some of those later shillings pulled out of that instant collection)

The fabulous florin, this is more choice UNC stuff.

And a 1961 Threepence in average VF condition.

All that is missing is the 6d. As we go further back my Australia gets more patchy outside shillings and florins!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8086 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2021  04:23 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My 1961 Australian shilling was the first of its type I got. It has the typical mushy strike on the obverse, but looks very nice in hand with some attractive golden lustre:

I acquired this coin in quite a strange way. A fellow student received it in change as a British 5p in 1978, and he was only too happy to let me change it for a normal British 5p! As the obverse is very similar to the Mary Gillick obcerse on British shillings, which were still circulating as 5p coins at the time, you can understand how it would have passed unnoticed in circulation by many people. I'm glad my colleague spotted it!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2191 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2021  05:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very special coin, with a tale like that. It must be very special to you. Whereas mine I can be 80 one day, "Oh these are the first decent coins I bought when I was in my mid 40s, you know when I had hair and teeth"

Still, that coin is very precious and it has shared a lot of life with you!
Only ones I had which come close are the 2005 20 and 50c I rescued from change in 2006.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2829 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2021  06:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PrinceTane, that Aussie florin is sweet.

OFEC count = 237
Page: of 43 Replies: 639 / Views: 10,127Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.16 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05