Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Australian And New Zealand Coins, How Far Back Can We Go - First Edition

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 865 / Views: 19,071Next Topic
Page: of 58
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8517 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  08:46 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nowhere near as nice as Princetane's, but I do have a full set of NZ coins for 1937!

Learn More...
United States
99412 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking good!

Quote:
PrinceTane, thanks for the "Special Feature", very informative.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2495 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My pleasure

Nice set NumisRob, you can take comfort your 6d is MUCH nicer than mine.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Learn More...
United States
99412 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For those who are using Chrome or Chromium based browsers (Edge, Opera, etc) and cannot see the image below (borrowed from triggersmob's CCF gallery), please try this:

• Click on the padlock in the address bar.

• Click on site settings.

• Under Permissions, scroll down to 'Insecure content' and set to Allow.

• Reload the page and images should load.

This will only affect CCF. Mixed content will remain blocked on all other sites until you allow it.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
2943 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perfect, thanks Jbuck. :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Learn More...
United States
99412 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent!

I still use Firefox, but another user had the problem in Opera. Every time it is reported I try to replicate the problem and it finally happened to me! So, I went hunting for a solution I could test.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2495 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice JBuck, but you are early. 1936 does not start until midnight forum time!

Still we can look forward to a month of coins that look like this!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2495 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some images of 1937 Pattern coins I found on the net. I have referenced each photo, but have modified some pictures.

Penny Pattern (DrakeSterling.com) - this was actually sold in an auction, like all patterns it is uniface, so we do not know if this coin is actually George or Edward.

Kruger Grey likely designed these coins in 1936 for King Edward VIII and a 1937 dated issue, but abdication and delays saw them delayed until 1938. Grey was a busy man having to redesign the British coinage at the same time.

Uniface Florin (coinscatalog.net), this watermarked image was all I could find, but essentially its uniface again and struck in sterling silver.

Uniface shilling (Roxburysgold.com.au) - a much better image showing the coin in full detail.

This one may be more of a fantasy below showing the crown with a Crowned Edward effigy (They decided Edward may go crownless on Australian coins)

This is obviously a recent restrike in gold or a gold coloured metal. The advance Australia patterns I ahve not shown as I suspect these are modern fantasies.

Of course all of these original patterns are truly scarce - but its proof that designs were intended for a 1937 and not 1938 release!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8517 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  03:10 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting patterns, Princetane!

My 1936 New Zealand coins:

Edited by NumisRob
02/24/2021 03:18 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8517 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  03:15 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1936 Australia:

My 1936 shilling was the first Australian silver coin I ever got. I was about 17 and was browsing through a bowl of foreign coins in an antique shop, priced at 5 pence each! It was great to get a sterling silver coin for face value!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2943 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  03:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

NZ
One and only coin from me.

AUS,
Jbuck posted the sixpence already, so here is the rest.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2495 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  04:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great NumisRob - a great line up and you have all the Kiwi coins, great deal on that shilling. It's in pretty good condition too.

Steve you snuck in as I was writing my daily essay

Here is my New Zealand for 1936 the year of 3 Kings

Just 3 coins were issued this year. The 3d and 6d were quite common, but the Florin is one of the great rarities with just 150k coins issued. My coin is a bare VF one, but this coin is expensive even in VG condition like Rob's. You just don't see many of them. A truly UNC 1936 Florin would cost around $10k or the same as a Waitangi Crown!

My one cost me the princely sum of $125, the most I have paid for any NZ coin besides the 1935 3d which I will show tomorrow. My 3d and 6d are also nice gVF pieces too.

The effigy used is the Kruger Grey robed one, that first appeared on the 1932 coins of Southern Rhodesia and then in 1933 NZ and 1934 for Fiji and Mauritius (I think Seychelles too - but no sure if they had KGV coins yet).

Australian coins used Bertrand MacKennal's crowned effigy used on all colonial coins since 1911 for Canada, India, South Africa (Since 1923) and Cyprus.

No Halfcrown or Shilling were issued in 1936.
Edited by Princetane
02/24/2021 04:16 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2495 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  04:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My Australian coins for 1936 are also close to complete, only a Halfpenny eludes me (I have none back to 1932).

You guys will not see this level of completeness on any George V set of Australian again!

The stars here obviously are the Penny and Florin (Both in the VF - gVF range) and a VFish 3d. The shilling and 6d are very average (Near Fine).

None of the coins in 1936 are scarce and it is a dream date of KGV for many to collect. Shillings and Florins all had low mintages in the KGV 1930s except for 1936.

Reverses show the portrait by MacKennal quite well.

Close up of my 1936 Florin

This one is a full VF with some lustre (My 1934 is slightly better).

Don't worry, NZ ends in 1933 and by the 1920s I will be showing a lot less coins!
Learn More...
United States
99412 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nice JBuck, but you are early. 1936 does not start until midnight forum time!
Sorry about that! I did not want to go backwards or post an Ike from my gallery for the test.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2495 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My fault, you can post whatever you want when you want. It is great to have your encouragement and positivity all over the boards and even better here.

Things are about to get juicier here with 1935 coming up!
Page: of 58 Previous TopicReplies: 865 / Views: 19,071Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05