Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Australian And New Zealand Coins, How Far Back Can We Go - First Edition

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 865 / Views: 18,542Next Topic
Page: of 58
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2490 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  01:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1935 in New Zealand was one of the most crucial years for coins, 2 great rarities were issued. One was the super rare Waitangi Crown - not commemorating any anniversary (It was planned in 1933 as an inaugural piece for the coinage, but delayed until 1935).

The Waitangi Crown (not mine!), image off the net

Only 1128 were issued, 764 standard and 364 proof. The coins were sold at 7/6 each in the middle of the Depression (Some relief workers got a dole of 5/- a week!) and thus it never sold well. The Proof sets cost a lot more and now these coins are the rarest around, figure $8k for a VF example (About as bad as you will get) and $15k for an UNC Proof $20k for the rest of the set as the 3d does not come cheap either.

Owning a Waitangi Crown is an ambition of mine, believe you me.

More affordable is the 1935 3d, this coin I do own.

Originally no 3d was set to be issued in 1935 as there was already 6 million of them in circulation, but collectors who had Waitangi Crowns, wanted a proof set so lobbied The Royal Mint to mint 364 of them for their proof sets! The Mint said no and they would have to buy a minimum order of 500 or 40k pieces, they agreed and 40k normal pieces and 364 proof 3ds arrived in country in March 1936. Yes this coin is a business strike.

The 40k coins went into and out of circulation fast and became rare, although the fact many found are Good to Fine means many did stay in the tills longer. Average condition coins cost around $150, my one is a high Fine/low VF coin costing around $3 - 400. EF is about $1k and a UNC one is around $3k. It is a wide date variety (Most common).

For most collectors, a Waitangi Crown is not a reality and thus a 3d coin of 1935 is, these however are still missing from many collections and remain the main key coin of any but the most top grade collections. For most people a coin that costs a few hundred dollars is more obtainable than one that costs $10k or more!

The rest of 1935 is less rare and I will show you a bit later as my timing being dinner arrives half way through this post.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
02/25/2021 03:22 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2490 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  03:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The rest of the coins for 1935 also saw slightly lower mintages than 1933 and 1934.

Mintages of Halfcrown and Florin were quarter of 1933/34 numbers 750k and 600k vs 2 million plus. These two are bare VF. Better coins cost much more and average coins of this era are Good to VG, so these VF/aVF pieces are pretty decent!

The gVF shilling is the best coin conditionwise I have for 1935 and it cost me $25, the 6d is the usual mediocre worn out thing and of course the aVF/gFine 3d we have discussed, its a beautiful rarity!

And head shot of course.

We have just 2 more years and we say bye bye to New Zealand. As you will see 1933 and 1934 are both common years as well.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2490 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  03:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My Australia for 1935 is another story - very sparse.

An average 3d, nice penny and a pretty good (near VF) shilling. As I warned you, my progress into pre KGVI Australia is limited. The shilling I suspect is cleaned and 3d has cracks at the bottom of reverse.

Shilling and Sixpence for 1935 are quite scarce, but the rest is easily available so no real excuses for this poor showing.

Head shot

I do expect my early Australia to improve over time though!
Edited by Princetane
02/25/2021 03:16 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8467 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  04:07 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Princetane - I am very impressed by the 1935 threepence. I remember talking about pre-decimal NZ coins with some of my older relatives, and they said they knew this was a scarce coin and had looked out for one in change, but never found one!

My NZ coins for 1935 are pretty average:

My grandfather in 1935 had quite a senior job with the Post Office in Dunedin. I am sure he could have afforded to put aside a 1935 crown, but he was much more interested in stamps than coins, and built up a fine collection. This got split up amongst the family and most of it went to my Uncle and cousins who stayed in NZ, although some covers and stamps went to my Dad and were passed down to me. Here's one of a number of first day covers of the new pictorial stamps that my grandfather posted to his home address in 1935. If only he'd bought a 1935 crown instead of all those stamps...

Princetane - I do like New Zealand stamps, though! I have most of the issues from the 1940 Centennial issue to 2011, when I decided that NZ post were just releasing too many new issues and it was too expensive to buy them all, plus I'd probably have needed to have built an extension to my house to store them!
Edited by NumisRob
02/25/2021 04:13 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8467 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  04:09 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only have these Australian coins for 1935:

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2490 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  04:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NumisRob, average or not - I am truly blown away that you collect them and I love the interest you show in them. No disrespecting your Granddad, but I think he should have bought that crown, because those stamps and covers are quite easy to find, along with an attractive booklet issued by the Post Office for that issue.

It was May 1935 and the stamp bug hit NZ finally, that month 3 issues came out - The Pictorials on May 1, Airmail on May 4th and the Silver Jubilee on May 7th and official first day covers were issued for all of them. Previously stamps were released to little fanfare, but after 1935 the Post Office finally began to support philately.

You collecting NZ coins reminds me of how I was showing my British coins last year on the HFBCWG thread and you always commented positively on whatever British coin I showed, no matter how worn it was.

Yes I think UK, NZ and Australia would be my 3 main countries followed closely by Fiji and the Pacific!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2933 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  06:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some beautiful coins there guys and the FDC is nice too NumisRob. I collected those to as a kid, back in the days when I lived in Surrey in the old dart.

I also collected stamps and have at least twice the amount of stamps, than I do coins, but like NumisRob said, the post offices started churning out to much crap and I gave it a way a few years ago. Still have the stamps though, so may return to them one day. The mints are starting to do the same thing with coins now too.

Now moving on to 1935.

NZ
It's nada, zippo, zilch, nil again.

So moving on to Aus.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 15,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2490 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  06:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since you all love that set of stamps so much, here goes,

2 more of the 35 covers, sadly they printed them on cheap greasy paper that toned badly.

The complete set of stamps from d to 3/-.

Some health 1932 - 34 and 1935 Silver Jubilee

The set again and 1935 airmail!

The set was issued on may 1 1935 on Vertical mesh fine paper and with a single watermark. In 1936 some values were reissued with a horizontal mesh (The stamp will curl in the middle) and in late 36 into 39 they were reissued in a multi watermark format on nice esparto paper.

In 1938 the d, 1d and 1d fell out of use as KGVI definitives were issued and the rest of the set saw sporadic use through to 1947. Of all the stamps the 2d and 2/- and 3/- lasted the longest. Many of the other values up to and including 1 shilling were supplanted by 1940 Centennial stamps (Shown at 1940).

Also in 1941 and 1942 many of the stamps 2d and above were reissued in a rough wartime paper with perf 11 or 12.5 and these stamps are the most common for the shilling values.

The 1d was issued in booklets in 1935 and 1936 and is found with tabs for Parisian ties and Abdullah Egyptian or Turkish cigarettes, one of mu singles is a Parisian ties.

The 2d whare stamp was heavily used as a receipt tax stamp through to 1947.

The entire set was rendered obselete by the release of the rest of the KGVI definitives (2d and 4d to 3/-) in May 1947 although the stamps remained legal tender through to 1967.

One of my favourites and popular as its so affordable and there are many varieties, with papers and watermarks! The official overprint set is popular too.
Edited by Princetane
02/25/2021 1:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2933 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  07:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have 4 used stamps from NZ in 1935 and one mint 1 penny Kiwi.

View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 15,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8467 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  07:36 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice stamps, Princetane - and Triggersmob, I like the florin! I don't have that many Australian George V shillings or florins, and the ones I do have are mostly rather worn!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2933 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  07:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Triggersmob, I like the florin! I don't have that many Australian George V shillings or florins, and the ones I do have are mostly rather worn!

Thanks NumisRob. I am missing a few from here on back and most of what I do have would be VG - F, if my grading is correct, and as I'm no expert, that could be doubtful. :)

OFEC count = 237
Learn More...
United States
99015 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It is great to have your encouragement and positivity all over the boards and even better here.
Thank you.

Quote:
We have just 2 more years and we say bye bye to New Zealand
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2490 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And with my Florins, it is the same story, my 1934 is a real beauty along with my Canberra, but my only other ones to come are 1921 and 1918 (Fineish) and a really worn 1914 and 1933.

The main thing propping my Aussie collection is those shillings I bought late last year and the fact I have many of the late 10s and to 1927 3ds and 6ds. I have very few pennies and halfpence as you can see except for the common 20s years like 1919 - 1921 for pennies and halfpence and 1925 - 27 for the small silver.

I have noticed too, a real coin drought in that 1929 - 1931 period with fewer coins issued by Australia after a booming 1924 - 1928 era.

I also nearly won a 1934/35 Melbourne Florin 2 weeks ago but was pipped by some rich bidder and could not engineer the win being out that night.

Still I am really looking 4wd to what u guys have - especially as I believe Steve our friendly Aussie may have some surprises to show us
Edited by Princetane
02/25/2021 12:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2490 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  03:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Before we touch 1934, I want to show some coins that took 3 WEEKS to get from Wellington to Auckland (Some 600km on the same island). These would have been showed in their respective years but NZ Zimbabwe Post messed up again.

Yes Steve you know a parcel will take 5 weeks to reach you, when a packet takes 3 weeks to travel along the same island.

It is a group of 6 New Zealand sixpences dating from 1936 to 1944.

HI Grade 1944 sixpences in AU and EF

1943 6d in EF condition, sadly with "Black wear" on reverse (The company sent all 6 coins in one PVC flip!)

1939 - gVF/ aEF, bear in mind the 39 you saw was aVG!

1936 pair of EF and AU (Although the one I have is marginally less well preserved, great to see Georgie looking like that).

Next 1934.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2490 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  03:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1934 was the second year and saw huge issues of coins in NZ, mainly as they were desparately trying to supplant all the British and even (Shock Horror) Aussie Silver still in circulation.

Nearly 3 million each of the Florins and Halfcrowns, increasing to 6 million of the Threepences, some 18 million coins in all - a lot for a place with 1.4 million people at the time.

A creamy Halfcrown and Florin, both are mid to high VF grade and these are good and shiny pieces.

A stunning EF shilling and threepence (Cost $20 and $15) and again let down by a less stunning 6d (Although 6d's like the ones posted above are slowly but surely weeding the bad ones out!). This one is not so bad, being a high VG example.

Overall 1934 is a great affordable year for one to get some better than average pieces for your KGV collection. Average condition for the King George V era is Good - Very Good, so a Very Fine and even Extremely Fine coin is a real achievement and even UNC is only a few hundred bucks.

The Reverses show that 4/5 of those coins are stunners and one is not!
Edited by Princetane
02/26/2021 03:36 am
Page: of 58 Previous TopicReplies: 865 / Views: 18,542Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05