Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Australian And New Zealand Coins, How Far Back Can We Go - First Edition

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 865 / Views: 18,923Next Topic
Page: of 58
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2492 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  03:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My Australia for 1934 again is just 3 coins, but 3 very beautiful ones!

A full gVF penny with elements of lustre, same for the CREAMY florin (My best KGV sans Canberra) and a decent shiny shilling (Low mintage too).

Close up of the Florin, it is marginally nicer than my 1936, the whole band and diamond of George is sharp too - lustre as well this is a full good VF.

The Shilling and Florin are worth a nice little bit and the penny despite its niceness not so much.

And heads shot showing quite a bit of detail on the King, many KGV coins of Australia are quite flat I find.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8509 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  03:53 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely coins, Princetane!

My NZ coins for 1934:

The threepence is in the best condition, but the shilling deserves a special mention as it is the only silver coin I ever personally got in change in New Zealand! It was January 1974 in Napier, and I'd probably bought a milkshake or a souvenir of some kind.
Edited by NumisRob
02/26/2021 04:23 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2937 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  03:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes Steve you know a parcel will take 5 weeks to reach you, when a packet takes 3 weeks to travel along the same island.

It will be interesting to see how long my second package takes to get to you too. Been about 12 days now.

Some more beautiful coins there PrinceTane.
Let's see what I can drag out now.

NZ
One and only.

Aus.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 15,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2492 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  03:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finally 1934 was the year our Reserve bank was formed and they started issuing banknotes from a centralised source. Previously several banks issued notes and thus there were 8 or 9 types of every value from 10/- up to 100!

A set of trading bank banknotes from the 1920s 10/- to 100
,taken at the Reserve bank museum in Wellington

1934 set of four notes at the Museum.

The first series was 10/-, 1, 5 and 50. The highest and lowest values were similar in colour and all notes the same size, hence confusion happened and several stories of people paying 50 as 10/- exist.

A very rare Lefeaux 50 note ($12k in real life) this again is at the Reserve Bank Museum in Wellington and open to public, it is NOT mine!

In 1940, they updated it with a newer series that had a browner and much smaller 10 bob and redder and larger 50 quid, a 10 quid was added to the line up. Apart from some signature and minor changes, this series lasted until 1967

Some of the old 1 notes were overprinted and sent to Fiji in WW2 designed to help a shortage and also made worthless if the Japs invaded Fiji.

Complete set of 1940 - 1967 notes (Series 2).
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8509 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  04:03 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are my only Australian coins for 1934:

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2492 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  04:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only? Those are stunners!

Rob I love how many of your coins have stories attached, its very heartwarming and makes them seem so much more precious.
That 3d of yours is easily VF and a nice piece and even all your other Kiwi stuff is more VG - Fine rather than Good - its all nice clean and honest stuff!

Different to me, it will be - Oh I bought it in my mid 40s when I got obsessed with coins again and again off Trade Me or some internet thang (How quaint and medieval!) . Yes this 16th century halfcrown came to me in that far off summer of 2023.

Steve, I guess I can keep an eye on my letterbox then - meanwhile I have a few coins already set aside for you (Some are very recent and straight from the Reserve Bank of New Zealand!)

Sorry If I am showing off with my Kiwi - its really my main forte after Halfcrowns and Florins. I have a vested interest in collecting the best examples I can and just love to show their beauty off.

The Australian coins are much more typical of most of my numismatic holdings
Edited by Princetane
02/26/2021 04:10 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2937 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  07:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No need to be sorry PrinceTane, this thread is all about showing your coins. Bring them on.
Looks like NumisRob and I posted at exactly the same time before. Nice coins there too Rob. :)

View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 15,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Learn More...
United States
99300 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... this thread is all about showing your coins. Bring them on.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
2937 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  12:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

My last 2 coins from New Zealand

and I only have 2 coins from Aus, for this year too.

OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8509 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  04:16 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First (Last) year of New Zealand coins:

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8509 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  04:19 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1933 Australian halfpenny and penny:

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2492 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  04:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I am late tonight, still reeeling from a dinner out and the news of YET another LOCKDOWN because of some cretins who had Covid 19 going out working, partying and eating burgers and visiting vape shops. Yet our namby pamby government won't arrest them or anything.

Anyway 1933 was the first year of New Zealand coinage and also the last here as we head backwards. It is a misnomer, the coins were only planned in mid 1933 after Depression Pound devaluations led to a rise in coin smuggling through 1931, 1932 and into 1933. Because you could get more for your money when going to Australia and Britain (And we had British currency at the time). People did crazy stuff like smuggle coins in gas cannisters, hatboxes, suitcases and even frozen ducks . Mostly it was British Halfcrowns as each pound taken to Australia got a 2/6 premium and 5/- to UK. In the Depression this was a nice money earner.

Some people smuggled as much as 1000 in Halfcrowns and then in early 1933, they were banned and Australian Florins were used. It sounds funny, but NZ relied on coin shipments from Britain and coins were ALWAYS in short supply here, having cretins smuggle them out of the country made matters worse, just like teenage hoodlums antics at KFC and a vape shop putting a 1.5 million person city into lockdown.

The government imposed limits of 10 and then 5 per head in coins, but these were badly enforced like Covid 19 testing rules in South Auckland.

The solution was our own coinage and designing took place between Aug and Oct 1933, with the new coins being minted in London. All designs were by Kruger Grey - hot off his success with designing a series for Southern Rhodesia the year before.

The best part of new coins meant that the smuggling of coins in frozen chickens and pieces of cardboard that looked like Connect 4 playing boards would end.

Coming soon to a frozen duck near you!

As the preference for smuggling big coins was all the rage, the halfcrowns arrived first in November 1933, followed by the 6d in Jan 34 and the rest up to May 1934. 1934 dated coins arrived only in August of 1934.

On June 30th 1934, all British and Australian silver coins were phased out and by June 30th 1935 were declared no longer legally tender.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2492 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  04:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finally my 1933 coins are not as great as 1934, which is strange as nothing in 1933 (Year 1) is rare. Think about it - first year issue as many coins as you can so our frozen duck industry does not suffer from silver poisoning.

Bare VF Halfcrown and Florin, I may upgrade these further.

The shilling is a cleaned gVG, another worn (Good) sixpence and a nice VF 3d.

Heads shot, a clean bunch if nothing else.

With great sadness, we say goodbye to New Zealand and its all Australia from here on cobbers (Just like saying goodbye to Freedom as we enter another lockdown).
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2492 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  05:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My Australia for 33 is limited, but 2 of these coins are quite rare (The condition is not that great though).

A nice penny (VFish), the rare 1933 shilling (VG/aVG) and a 1933 Florin (G - VG), a key date - but would be more key if its was a year older. I dropped some dollars on these, but they will do in the meantime. I was lucky and only paid about $50 for the Florin and the shilling came in the instant collection. I would estimate its value around $100 in that condition.

Bit of blur, but perfectly fine.

Starting tomorrow, things are getting real bitsy around here, I mean 1 or 2 coins most days!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2937 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  07:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coins PrinceTane and NumisRob. You both certainly out did me in 1933.

PrinceTane, sorry to hear Auckland has gone back in to lockdown. I hope
you have a pile of coins to noodle. :)

OFEC count = 237
Page: of 58 Previous TopicReplies: 865 / Views: 18,923Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.49 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05