Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Australian And New Zealand Coins, How Far Back Can We Go - First Edition

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 860 / Views: 16,644Next Topic
Page: of 58
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8300 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  03:48 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice florins, Princetane, and well done for posting the 1930 halfpenny, Steve! I have no Australian coins dated 1930...
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2425 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  04:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes good work Steve, I knew you would come through. You did show a 1930 Penny, I mean that coin says 1930 and Penny on it, it even has Commonwealth of Australia and King George V who was king in 1930 on it too!

Did not say anything about if it contained extra words like Half as well!

JBuck, thanks for your kind words, NZ coins are my life along with Halfcrowns and Florins.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
03/02/2021 04:29 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2909 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  05:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks NumisRob and PrinceTane.

I was half tempted to steal a picture of a 1930 penny, off the internet, and make
out it was mine, just to blow your minds. :)

The 1930 half penny has seen better days.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 15,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2425 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have no such qualms of showing such a coin

From CoinWorld.com (THIS IS NOT MY COIN!)

This one sold for over $1 million and look it at! Practically UNC.

Australia Post has a good basic introduction behind this legendary coin.
https://australiapostcollectables.c...n-1930-penny
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2909 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  03:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and what a beauty that coin is too.
Maybe I'll have one, one day, but it won't
look like that.

Moving right along before the puddle of drool gets too deep.

View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 15,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2425 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  03:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1929 was a funny year in Australia, with just bronze being issued again. It can't be blamed on the Depression as the first 10 months of 1929 were full on boom times and even the last 2 the Depression was just starting and it sank in through 1930 only really becoming nasty in 1931.

My guess is that by late 1928, they had decided there were too many coins in circulation and it was time to take a break. For many of the silver coins at least, the 1925 - 1928 saw some very heavy numbers of coins issued (The mid to late 1920s boom).

All I have for 1929 is a decent penny.

Fine but darkened and stained, I find many KGV Bronze coins of this era like that and put it down to heavy use and the humid climate which made it hard on coins (Hence why so much silver has heavy wear too).
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8300 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  04:15 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My 1929 Australian coins are predictable...

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2425 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  04:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coins Steve and Rob.

Mine is pretty miserable, oh well bring on the silver of the 20s and 10s.
Learn More...
United States
97760 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This one sold for over $1 million and look it at! Practically UNC.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2425 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While we are still in 1929 I want to show another coin that arrived too late for its year.

It's another rarity too.

Its a NZ 1956 Strapless penny, a true rarity, of the 3.6 million coins minted that year 3.55 million had the shoulder strap effigy and just 50,000 did not.

Been ages trying to get a real rarity like this (Just a bit more common than 1935 3d).

As they were pennies, few people noticed or cared at the time and thus most were even melted or sitting in piles of unsorted coins (Some lots sell like a whole ton of pennies and the like).

This coin was not cheap - $60 for aVF one, Mowbrays have an AU coin for $500 in their auction.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2425 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  02:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1928 a better year in Australia, we have all the silver back again being minted along with the bronze. All coins saw generous mintages except the low (664k) mintage of the shilling.

Again my collection is a lot less complete in the pre 1934 years.

All I have is one of those scarce shillings and a fairly munted 3d coin. Again the usual VG - Fine condition.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8300 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  04:02 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like the shilling, Princetane!
I just have the four lowest value coins for 1928:

Pillar of the Community
Australia
2909 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  04:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Its a NZ 1956 Strapless penny, a true rarity, of the 3.6 million coins minted that year 3.55 million had the shoulder strap effigy and just 50,000 did not.

Didn't realise how rare that coin was. I guess the hole in my collection will be there for some time. :(

1928 now and some nice coins already shown.

Let's see what I can find...

OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2425 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  05:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't worry Steve you have a couple of rare gaps about to be filled in the package I am sending you and high quality examples of these gap fillers too.

Love the coins and a whole set.

Numis Rob, what you may lack in quantity as you put it, you make up for in quality.

You guys have both stumped me again.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2909 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  06:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Don't worry Steve you have a couple of rare gaps about to be filled in the package I am sending you and high quality examples of these gap fillers too.

Oh, oh, I'm getting excited now. Can't wait to see what's coming. :)

Quote:
Love the coins and a whole set.

I think I'm starting to realise I have more coins than I thought. :)

OFEC count = 237
Page: of 58 Previous TopicReplies: 860 / Views: 16,644Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.93 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05