Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Australian And New Zealand Coins, How Far Back Can We Go - First Edition

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 863 / Views: 16,862Next Topic
Page: of 58
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2915 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tane,

Hope all is well in "The Shaky Isles".
Just heard you had a big earthquake.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 15,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2430 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I slept through all of them!

Auckland is fortunately outside the evacuation zones. I am as far away from a beach as possible behind ridges of 80m high hills and my own home is 4km from the nearest beach and about 40m above sea level.

Auckland has the Waitakere mountains (A ridge of mountains 400m high) protecting us from the West Coast and the North is protected by several islands and peninsulas guarding the northern and eastern flanks from Tsunamis. Apart from beach suburbs, Auckland is one the of the safest place for them. We are even protected from major quakes!

Has got me alarmed as we are having disaster after disaster lately, mosque shootings, thunderstorms, covid 19 lockdowns and now this. What is next, a space asteroid hitting or military invasion.

I have found bad things happen in years ending in a 1. Also my partners daughter has been diagnosed with stage 4 Ovarian cancer.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2430 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  03:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After a day of earthquakes, lockdowns and tsunamis - lets get to some coins - 1927 to be precise. Compared to the past few years out of me this is a better year.

1927 was famous for the Canberra Florin, Australia's first commemorative coin and most of the 2 million were salted away, hence why most are VF or better. Mine is a toned AU example and probably my best pre 1940s Florin and Australian coin in general from this era.

In addition to a nice Florin (Issued in occasion of the opening of Parliament House in Canberra on May 9 1927) there is a better than average shilling (Close to VF but obviously cleaned).

Parliament House became old Parliament House in 1988 with the opening of the new one (On the 1988 $5 coin).

The rest of my 1927 is less nice

I have an average 6d and 3d and a decent if stained 1927 penny. Again I don't have a halfpenny.

In fact the halfpenny is my least common of all my Australian coins.

I have worked out many coins are either stained or cleaned because of Auckland's super humid climate.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Edited by Princetane
03/05/2021 03:55 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2430 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  03:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just realised something. I bought another 1927 Threepence coin to replace the one I have (I think anyone would want to upgrade that mess ASAP, the 6d is next)

The coin has been paid for, but "misplaced" by the dealer, so if he can find it, I will have it next week - otherwise I will have $23 refunded next week

The coin is very toned, but in aEF condition and one of my nicest Threepences. I am turning the corner on worn 1920s Aussie silver!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2430 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  04:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Canberra Florin was also accompanied by the stamp designed by Blamire Young (Blamire is one weird name)

Source stampboards.com (Modified in size by me)

It was Australia's first commemorative stamp, Australian states had been issuing stamps since 1850 and the whole Commonwealth since 1913 (1903 for Postage Dues) - but all had been definitives like the Roos and KGV along with a Kookaburra stamp for 3d.

It was also sold in booklets of 16 for 2/- and at the time 1d was the local postage rate in Australia.

For you stamp hounds, my page of 1927 - 1931 Australian stamps.

Source: My personal collection and image
Canberra at top left.
Edited by Princetane
03/05/2021 04:12 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8309 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  06:08 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coins, Princetane!

I slept through an earthquake once in NZ (a minor one)

Here are my Australian coins for 1927 (apologies for the 3d and 6d!)

Pillar of the Community
Australia
2915 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  06:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tane,

Sorry to hear about your partner's daughter.
I hope it all goes well for her.

Yes, humidity is not a friend of coins,
but your stamps look awesome.

NumisRob, no need to apologise. We all
have coins in various conditions.

Ok, time to post....

and a MS63 Parliament house.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 15,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Learn More...
United States
97863 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Also my partners daughter has been diagnosed with stage 4 Ovarian cancer.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2430 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, she only found out a few days ago and starts chemo next week. Lockdowns and possible tsunamis seem very minor in comparison.

Nice coins everyone, especially your Canberra Florin Steve!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8309 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  09:38 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thanks, she only found out a few days ago and starts chemo next week.

Hope all goes well for her - that's shocking!
Yes, Steve, that's a lovely Canberra florin!
Learn More...
United States
97863 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thanks, she only found out a few days ago and starts chemo next week.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2430 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am hoping too, thanks all for your kind words regarding her and these earthquakes.

It's great to know people share more than coins on this forum!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2430 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  03:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We reach 1926, just 17 more years of coins to go, before we hit the gold only years

(Gold coins are more than acceptable, as I think we are in the gold era now).

1926 was a year of high mintages of every coin in Australia, the economy was booming and there were more cars, jazz records and cloche hats in society than ever.

My selection again is limited to the mid value silver coins. And the condition of all 3 coins is average, if anything the shilling is probably my most mediocre of the late 20s. The threepence is the best of them and its a bare fine on a good day!

Reverses showing some pretty flat details!

It gets much better tomorrow though!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8309 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  03:37 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Princetane - your 1926 Australian shilling is much nicer than mine! I don't have a threepence either.

Here are my 1926 Australian coins:

Pillar of the Community
Australia
2915 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  04:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coins guys.

Looks like we are all lacking a florin this year. :(

Steve
OFEC count = 237
Page: of 58 Previous TopicReplies: 863 / Views: 16,862Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05