Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Australian And New Zealand Coins, How Far Back Can We Go - First Edition

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 869 / Views: 21,313Next Topic
Page: of 58
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8779 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  03:13 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm impressed by the silver. I only have bronze for 1924:

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2669 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  04:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even I will admit, that coin was ugly, but it was not too worn under whatever that brown coco pops look a like stuff was. You have a very nice shilling too!

NumisRob, as usual your bronze only coins are stunners!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3026 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rob, very nice bronze coins indeed.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1035 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

1924 florin

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2669 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  02:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1923 is my quietest year for a while.

1 coin, a penny - that's it! Wish it was the halfpenny for this year.

Unlike the halfpenny, the 1923 penny is very common!

Hoping you all have some goodies for us.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3026 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  04:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

3 coins for me, but no half penny.

View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8779 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  04:59 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to disappoint but I don't have a halfpenny for today! Just a 1923 penny and sixpence!

Pillar of the Community
Australia
3026 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2021  03:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Some of these are quite worn ,but at least it's a full set.

OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2669 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2021  04:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on the full set, some well "LOVED" coins

All I have is 2 coins - my earlies are patchy.

A very decent shilling, not quite as loved as the one Steve showed us.

A more worn penny (I have quite a few worn pennies from this era)

Heads shot.

I may be able to replicate your feat tomorrow Steve, with a full house of 1921 coins - completed by the Halfpenny you sent me
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1035 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2021  04:45 am  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
some poorer quality florins from stash

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8779 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2021  05:10 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi ryurazu - nice to see you participating!
Nice shilling, Princetane, and impressed by the full set, Steve! I thought my 1922 florin would really let the topic down, but it seems all the others are in a similar condition!

Here are my Australian coins for 1922:

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2669 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2021  05:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well all of those florins are better than my non existent one. The more coins shown the merrier and we have a 4th regular showing - welcome Ryurazu!

Plus we are back to 1922 now, these coins would have been circulating for a long time and they are soft silver, so pretty much worn is what you get unless you are willing to lay down some big money!

I think too, there was not much of a collecting bug for circulation coins until the mid to late 1930s. I say this as generally its quite easy to find VF - EF examples of George VI coins and yet impossible now to get anything above Fine in many cases. 1922 was a desparate time, the average worker made under 2 a week and putting aside a shiny Florin for a coin collection was something only a few rich people would do, doing a penny was easier.

I say that as if we go back to World War 2 era, there are a lot of very shiny coins (Well most of my Florins are, but they cost a tiny fraction of what EF florins would cost in this era!).
Edited by Princetane
03/10/2021 05:19 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3026 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2021  06:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I may be able to replicate your feat tomorrow Steve

PrinceTane,I hope you can, I will be missing the shilling.

Quote:
I thought my 1922 florin would really let the topic down, but it seems all the others are in a similar condition!

No Rob, yours are great compared to mine. I think I take out the lowball contest this round. :)

OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2669 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2021  11:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let me adjudicate just for laughs.

Triggersmob, d = VG to Fine, 1d- Fine+ 3d - Good, 6d - aGood, 1/- Fair, 2/- Poor (Could be entered in Lowball glory)

Princetane, 1d - Very Good, Shilling - almost fine

Ryurazu - 1923 2/- VG, 1922 2/- Good/aGood

NumisRob - d gVG, 1d - Fine+ (The pennies are best this year), 6d gVG and 2/- Good

I hereby declare Triggersmob the winner of the Lowball florin prize for 1922, his prize is the right to show more coins.

Princetane gets a special prize for not even having a florin - his punishment is to show more coins. He is also penalised for having the best silver coin with a near fine shilling and not much else.

PS this is all funny and not meant to offend anyone!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3026 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2021  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Triggersmob, d = VG to Fine, 1d- Fine+ 3d - Good, 6d - aGood, 1/- Fair, 2/- Poor (Could be entered in Lowball glory)

Most of my pre decimals were graded by me when I first started and going by what you listed here, I need to re-visit the gradings on them .

If you go back to page 19 of the lowball glory thread, you will see I was already declared the winner, with a different coin though. :)

OFEC count = 237
Edited by triggersmob
03/10/2021 4:57 pm
Page: of 58 Previous TopicReplies: 869 / Views: 21,313Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05