Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Special Bowers Book For My Library Really Cool History On This One.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 268Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
7527 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  7:21 pm Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this copy on eBay, it only had a single early bid on it for cheap. So I took a chance and bid a very reasonable amount only slightly over the other bid at the last minute and ended up winning it for well under $20.00!

The Waterford Water Cure - Q.David Bowers Hardbound special edition, signed and numbered #88 of 650

This copy was sent to Dr. Gregory Brunk as a gift from Dave Bowers. Dr. Brunk is the foremost expert and author on counterstamped coins. He sadly just passed away recently. So getting one of the few David Bowers books I don't already have in my library is nice, but to be a special edition and previously owned by the world's foremost expert on the subject? Very cool. I haven't read it yet it just arrived a couple of hours ago. It's now on to read shelf that has quite a few books in front of it.

John Ford, Jr.called it his favorite book as well, so I'm looking forward to getting into it. A couple of photos of the new edition to my library...

"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
12/04/2020 7:22 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53796 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bowers is indeed a giant in our hobby. Always has time to talk to anyone at shows. Much admired.
Learn More...
United States
18340 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow great pick-up there @west!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
7527 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  01:40 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Always has time to talk to anyone at shows.

Yes he does. My favorite story on Dave is told by my friends: Mark Borckardt with John Kraljevich. They were giving a talk at an EAC convention. it's linked below and starts at 6:00. The whole video is great, but that little snippet is all Dave and describes him to a T. Both of them worked for years with Dave, John still does consulting with Stack's Mark moved on to Heritage.

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/560149

That alone says all you need to know about Dave Bowers. A great man that I was surprised as a beginning collector to win a week spent with him, my best friend at the time, and several other top young numismatists from around the country, studying and learning all about coins at the ANA Summer Seminar. That week cemented my love for coins for life, plus it was just a few weeks before the last Garrett Auction was to begin and during the time John Adams was selling his 1794 large cent set. We had an awful lot of neat stuff in and out through Dave to see and to hold. Brasher Doubloons, 1804 dollars, 1913 nickel, many rare colonials and early coins, plus a field trip to Cripple Creek with him one day, to learn about gold mining and gold extraction that ultimately was turned into coinage.

Dave Bowers will always have a special spot in my heart, as a kind and generous man.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

Edited by westcoin
12/05/2020 01:44 am
Learn More...
United States
94627 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5075 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that Q David is a real asset of our hobby. I've had a chance to talk with him at several shows and even have a picture with him (somewhere!) taken in Baltimore.

@westcoin: Congrats on the pickup. How "numismatic" is the The Waterford Water Cure? I have bypassed the book in the past because I thought it concerned a completely different topic. Like you, I also have quite a few QDB volumes in my library - I enjoy his style.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7527 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How "numismatic" is the The Waterford Water Cure? I have bypassed the book in the past because I thought it concerned a completely different topic.

It looks pretty well written, the reason it was retriggered was when I read that John Ford, Jr. said it was the best book Dave Bowers wrote and maybe one of the best books written on coins period. That had me rethinking the book as well. So when this one came up on eBay in one of my random bored browsing sessions, I decided if it went cheap this would be the best type to have, at that time I still didn't know anything about the contents of the book. IT seem well written though I have only flipped through it with a glance, as I said many books are ahead of it in order to read right now. The subject is Waterford Maine (the town) and the history behind Hydro-Therapy from what I gather. Several companies were pushing this as a cure for many ailments and as a life style. Many of the companies and individuals involved advertised using counterstamps on primarily large cents. John Ford, Jr. wrote the forward in the book, much of the history is on the people involved in the water therapy cures, the Waterford Institute, and the township and people of Waterford, Maine. It does appear that coins are not the forefront of the research, but rather the various counterstamps caused a dive into the rabbit hole of water therapy during research and found a subsection of not often mentioned the history of Maine. Dave can't let a good story get away without trying his best to understand it as well as possible. From my skimming not a lot of numismatic things jumped out, but the writing prose and subjects was still pretty fascinating, I'm sure it will be an enjoyable read. Dave actually explains how he decided why to write this book and how the research began in the early chapters. It's like an insight to he way he begins a project on anything I suppose. Dave has written books on other subjects besides numismatics, like coin operated instruments, nickelodeons, as well as U.S. Presidents and Wolfsboro, New Hampshire history. I'd say this book falls more outside the realms of coin collecting, yet has ties to the hobby of counterstamp collectors, and is certainly appearing to be the most in depth research on how and why various things are advertised on coins through counterstamp markings.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5075 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2020  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@westcoin: Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts! I appreciate it.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 268Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05