Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Are Your 2021 Collecting Goals?

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 74 / Views: 2,587Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1723 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2020  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add samsnate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@captain well played!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10911 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2020  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always enjoy reading these, as well as looking back at my personal goals and seeing how well I did (or did not do). I normally say 5oz of silver a month but last year's spike in spot iced that for me.

2021:
1. Finish Ike PCGS slabbed set
2. Continue with my world paper money collection by adding at least 100 notes
3. If silver stays under 30 and the premiums decrease to closer to a dollar, resume monthly silver stacking
4. Add 5 older ASEs to the holes in my collection

Other than a few US Mint offerings, I think that's about as aggressive as I want to be this year.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3451 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2020  12:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The more of these 14xx dates any of us can pick up, the smoother the HFBCWG thread will progress.

Actually tried searching for those myself - in the "Islamic" category, that is (can't really afford the European types). Lots of 13xx stuff there, but 14xx is far scarcer.
I did buy a coin recently that's supposed to have a date in the 1450s; will try to post it whenever I actually decide to get it out of its 2x2 (always a hard decision, because once it's loose it will basically stay loose unless I sell it, but the 2x2 plastic makes photos hard).
Pillar of the Community
United States
9931 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2020  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If its not too personal, why are you selling your collection? That's just sad news to me.

hfjacinto - I have no one to pass them onto that would value them as I do. this appears to be a good time to sell and I'm getting all my affairs in order and can use the funds to enhance my IRA in preparation of retirement.

many of my coins I have had for over 50 years and at the time I acquired them I was not astute enough to know what a details coin was. I was collecting to fill the holes. I was very disappointed to find that some of my better pieces recently sent for grading came back as details in preparation of liquidation and are not valued what I originally thought. this made my decision a little easier but I'm having a problem getting motivated to post them on ebay and afraid of what they will bring if I auction them rather than buy now. I've been beating myself up for several months now regarding this.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3269 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2020  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@panzaldi,

Your post makes me sad, but its a situation we will all one day face. Good luck and I wish you the best! Please let us know what you eventually do, there are probably a "few" posters on here that would be interested in buying part of your collection.
Learn More...
United States
97950 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2020  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So, what did I do? I logged onto the U.S. Mint website and set up an Enrollment for the ATB Quarters Proof Set, which states that my first set in the Enrollment will be the 2020 set. Let's see if that works.
Good luck!

Quote:
1. Finish Ike PCGS slabbed set
Pillar of the Community
United States
900 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2020  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My short term goals are to finish the dime and half dime series (still need nice circulation cameo 1860's coins) and make a start with early copper.
Learn More...
United States
97950 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2020  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My goals just got a boost... courtesy of surprise deposit from the US Treasury!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1522 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2021  10:19 am  Show Profile   Check colonialjohn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add colonialjohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To keep remembering after reading these posts what David Bowers once told me that the average collector spends only 20 minutes/week with their coins. To remember this when I respond to their thoughts. It can be difficult at times with my BIG ego. In terms of collecting to keep building one of the great Spanish/American collections somewhat similar to Pradeau <BG>.

John Lorenzo
Numismatist
United States
Valued Member
Russian Federation
202 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  07:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buy 3 silver cents and get even closer to completing my Barber dime collection
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3451 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The way my 2020 collecting turned out (i.e. there wasn't much of it) means that my 2021 goals would basically be the same as my 2020 ones, with only minor differences...

...at least I filled up about a dozen assorted OFEY holes today, so a bit less work left for that goal.

1) Get some more missing dates for my OFEY
1a) In particular, fill in the remaining post-1750 holes (2021, 1844, 1823, 1817, 1795, 1783, 1781, 1780 [aside from the MTT], 1778, 1769, 1766, 1756, 1755, 1752)
1b) If possible, get an unbroken line even further back
1c) Regardless of any actual progress, take photos of all of those coins for posting on CCF (haha good luck)

2) Related to the above: get some dated Islamic coins from the 15th century AD
2a) Non-Islamic dated (and/or single-year-type) coins from the 15th century AD would be welcome, but unlikely to fit within my budget
2b) Dated coins from before the 15th century are useful as well, though I already have a bunch of those

3) Get to 400 issuers on Numista (currently 377)... if that's still a thing by the time I get there
3a) If possible, also get to 250 countries (currently 239)

4) Fill some of the remaining holes in my Dansco 7070 album
4a) In particular, get at least one classic commemorative, and at least one Seated Liberty silver

5) Get at least one more coin for my Romanian type set attempt
5a) If I can find some Mongolian coins I didn't have yet, that would be cool as well

6) Formalize my USSR non-commemorative type set progress, figure out what (if anything) I'm still missing, and get it (...discounting the gold, which is out of my budget, and probably never circulated anyway)

7) Formalize my Russian Empire AE type set, and fill at least some of the holes

8) If my interest in those coins doesn't stop, formalize my 18th/19th century Swedish AE type set attempt, and fill at least some of the holes

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if I missed a few more (particularly involving banknotes).
Learn More...
United States
97950 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The way my 2020 collecting turned out (i.e. there wasn't much of it) means that my 2021 goals would basically be the same as my 2020 ones, with only minor differences...
For many, this is not unexpected.

Quote:
...at least I filled up about a dozen assorted OFEY holes today, so a bit less work left for that goal.
Excellent!
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3451 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1a) In particular, fill in the remaining post-1750 holes (2021, 1844, 1823, 1817, 1795, 1783, 1781, 1780 [aside from the MTT], 1778, 1769, 1766, 1756, 1755, 1752)
1817 filled back on Saturday, it turns out; I missed that coin when entering Saturday's purchases because it was in a separate bag.

I suspect that many of the others had also long been filled but the coins just didn't happen to have been entered into Numista. I also suspect that a bunch of the "filled" dates turn out to have been utterly misplaced if/when the photographing project comes in.
Learn More...
United States
97950 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1817 filled back on Saturday, it turns out; I missed that coin when entering Saturday's purchases because it was in a separate bag.
Well done!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4555 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2021  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First quarter update (in red) on these cut-and-pasted goals:

1. Add any early dated coins (for me 1474-1506) I can find that fit my existing themes. I am missing 1483, 1486-88, 1491,1497,1506 most of which will be difficult, or may never get filled (except 1506 where there is a clear target). I nabbed a 1506 even though it's not the one I wanted, and an undated but attributable 1471...by accident.
2. Fill the missing 17th century dates in my Kingdom of Poland OFEY (1656, 1657, 1659, 1679) two of these preferably with larger silver (1/4 thaler)from Torun and Gdansk mints. Have acquired the 1656, 1659 and 1679, and been skunked twice already on 1657. However, I've been able add some missing dates in the 18th c., mostly 1765-95.
3. Fill a handful of other gaps in the 1600s (1639, 1641, 1642, 1692, 1695) with coins that fit my other themes.
(Edit: I just took care of 1642) ...and 1692.
Edited by tdziemia
04/01/2021 10:02 am
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 74 / Views: 2,587Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05