Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ike Alert - Started An Ike Album Today.

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 53 / Views: 1,968Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4796 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2020  02:53 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
. However, when I hand over an Ike, the response is always OMG or huh followed by is that really a dollar? They marvel at the size and weight and show it to the owner. Often times they ask if I have any more. That should tell the story of how cool of a coin the Ike is.

Cool to hear. Personally I love the Ike. Especially the obverse. Been a favorite of mine since I was a kid.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Learn More...
United States
99024 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2020  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I completed my Ike Dansco earlier this year.
Excellent!

I will overlook the rest of your comment.

Quote:
However, when I hand over an Ike, the response is always OMG or huh followed by is that really a dollar? They marvel at the size and weight and show it to the owner. Often times they ask if I have any more. That should tell the story of how cool of a coin the Ike is.
Well done!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20199 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2020  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting start for an interesting coin Album. Not sure but I suspect others too collect those.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
99024 Posts
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 88isgreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's been a while since I've updated this post. I'm just one coin shy (1972) from completion. The hunt for the final piece is on!
A few pictures.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4796 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nicely done 88isgreat! One left to finish, how exciting...nothing quite as great as the feeling of slipping that last coin into its place to complete a collection.

For what it's worth I did decide on starting an Eisenhower Album. I'm 13 coins in and on the prowl for others. I have to confess that I find myself a little confused about telling the difference between a raw Silver Clad and Silver Clad Proof. Any pointers on distinguishing between the two?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 88isgreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks chafemasterj.

Based on my acquisitions, the silver proof coins have a cameo finish whereas the silver uncirculated coins have a finish similar to the cupronickel circulation coins.

Good luck on your album.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4796 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks 88isgreat. Good luck on your next adventure.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1227 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I may be a glutton for punishment or just looking for a challenge.

But I just bought a Dansco 8176 album to start Ike set with proofs.

I'll probably try to collect the different '76 types as well.

So now I have 2 projects to work on the 7070 and the 8176
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 88isgreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Dearborn the Ike album is fun to put together. Very affordable too.

I haven't gotten the desire to do a 7070 yet. Maybe someday.

Good luck with your collection.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1766 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ikes are a great modern set to put together in nice chBU and PR condition. They are far more difficult and expensive than most people realize because those Unc Ikes you see advertised for $2 are almost always very junky. Some of the chBU's wholesale for $4 so you aren't going to find them for dirt cheap unless the seller doesn't know. If you can find untarnished mint sets you can get them very cheap but the only date that usually isn't tarnished is the 1973 and it's more expensive because both Ikes are mint set only.

My favorite grade on these is what I call "gemmy" which is a very nice and well made lustrous coin that just misses MS-65. These are common enough to be cherry picked and tough enough to be challenging. Dealers often have one or two in stock. The toughie here is the '76 type I since these had very poor quality control. They were tough in '76 and they are much tougher now. The blue and brown Ikes are often spotted now days as well. Cu/ ni clad proofs are still available in very nice condition and are usually only a few dollars. The proofs sets are even cheaper. If you buy the proof sets wear eye protection when you open them.

The Ike is an attractive coin to my eye and I especially like the reverse. Most of the coins have degraded since the 1970's and, except for the proofs, nice pristine examples are not common.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1766 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh... ...and that looks like a handsome well-matched set. The '72 isn't the hardest one to find.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1227 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you buy the proof sets wear eye protection when you open them.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10942 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you buy the proof sets wear eye protection when you open them.

Perhaps because they're so brilliant and shiny that they could damage your eyes if you're not careful?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1227 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  07:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
could be. Maybe turn down the lights real low at first...
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 53 / Views: 1,968Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05