Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your World Coins That Commemorate Joint History With The US

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 63 / Views: 1,293Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4263 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  10:21 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1939 Philippines/United States of America Administration One Centavo...

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces6378.html

Some History:

http://www.coinfactswiki.com/wiki/P...20in%201944.

Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Edited by chafemasterj
01/05/2021 12:35 pm
Learn More...
United States
94533 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16163 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1907 Philippines.
50 centavos.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5058 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Steering the thread back to commemorative coins vs. regular issues...

Here's a circulating 2 zlote commemorative coin issued by Poland back in 2008. It celebrates Poland's contributions to the Jamestown colony during its earliest days (1608); it depicts a glassblower at work. Glassblowers were just one of the tradesman groups that came to America to help establish the Jamestown settlement.

The commemorative text on the coin's reverse translates to: 400th Anniversary of Polish Settlements in North America.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2383 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Truly a country of immigrants.

KK
Learn More...
United States
94533 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2021  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's a circulating 2 zlote commemorative coin issued by Poland back in 2008...
Nice example!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4263 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2021  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow commems, you have an extensive collection. Do you purposefully have a sub collection of coins that show a US connection with another country?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5058 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2021  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do you purposefully have a sub collection of coins that show a US connection with another country?

Yes! I collect them as a supplement to my core US commemorative collection. I like the fact that they mark US history - recalling history is why I began collecting US commemorative coins.

One guiding principle I use as I build the collection: the country issuing the coin must have a genuine connection to the US for the person/place/thing/event being commemorated. I also steer toward coins issued for a particular anniversary vs. just in some random year.

So, for example, I do not include a coin such as the 2019 F-18 Hornet 1 Shilling coin issued by Zimbabwe. There's nothing real there to commemorate!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5058 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2021  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In 1990 and 1991, Russia issued a set of six commemorative coins as part of a program commemorating the 250th anniversary of Russian America. The program consisted of two silver 3 ruble coins, four one-ounce palladium 25 ruble ruble coins and two half-ounce platinum 150 ruble coins.

Russian America maintained colonies from 1799 to 1867, these included settlements in present-day Alaska, California and Hawaii. Russian expeditions first sighted and landed in Alaska in 1741; I'm not sure what happened in 1740.

Here is a silver three ruble from 1991 - it commemorates Fort Ross in California.

You can read the history of Russian expansion in western America within the "History" section on the web site of the Fort Ross Conservancy here: Historic Fort Ross - Outpost of an Empire

Edited by commems
01/07/2021 6:33 pm
Learn More...
United States
94533 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4263 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2021  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's funny. I couldn't figure out what happened in 1740 either. Though I've read more about Russian America in the last half hour than I certainly thought I would.

Edit: I looked at this from a different angle. Wikipedia shows the 1990 Commemorative coin also commemorates the discovery of Russian America.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lis...Soviet_Union

Edited by chafemasterj
01/07/2021 8:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5058 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
D-Day - June 6, 1944 - was an important day in the history of many countries. It was on that day that the largest amphibious military invasion in history (led by the US, the UK, Canada and France) began a two-month-long battle between the Allies and Germany. It led to the Allies taking back control of Western Europe from Nazi Germany and liberating the once-occupied countries. It was a key element of the eventual Allied victory over the Axis powers in World War II. There's no doubt it was a watershed event in the history of the US and France.

In 1993, France joined the US in commemorating the historic day with a coin; France issued a silver (0.900 fine) 1 Franc coin to commemorate the day; it also issued a gold (0.920 fine) version of the same denomination and design. I have the silver version in my collection.

Here's France's silver 1 Franc:

Edited by commems
01/12/2021 6:45 pm
Learn More...
United States
94533 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5058 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the UK 50 Pence D-Day coin. It was available in sterling silver (0.925 fine) and gold (0.916 fine; 22k) . Both versions were also sold in three-piece sets with the coins from France (previous post) and the US. Shown are the silver coins from the set.

Learn More...
United States
94533 Posts
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 63 / Views: 1,293Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05