Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Made A Beginner Cheat Sheet For Understanding Iso, Shutterspeed, And Aperture

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,036Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
581 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2020  4:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Eyez to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Compiled some of the references(Cheat Sheets)i have been using for a photo novice to understanding there camera.
CCF has giving me so much, wanna give back^^.
Thanks Guys and Girls
Learn More...
United States
99238 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
581 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2020  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Jbuck thank you hope it helps some.
Learn More...
United States
99238 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2020  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It confirms that I wish I still had my wife's old Canon DSLR to image my coins instead of my smartphone.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
581 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2020  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thats why I like pawn shops lol
Pillar of the Community
United States
3389 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2020  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the above. Hence why I shoot in manual :)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
581 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2020  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
but some people do not know how
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9395 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2020  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With old manual enlarger/duplication lenses you pretty much have to shoot in manual mode (focus and aperture, anyway). ISO is best left at 100 or 64 (the lowest setting for the camera). Then, manually adjust the shutter speed to avoid burning out the highlights. Use a mirrorless camera and make sure to use "silent shooting" / full electronic shutter.
Valued Member
Canada
105 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2020  07:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SP67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice Eyez.
Excellent and comprehensive chart. Very useful for beginners.

I think the only missing information is the sensor size. Why a cell phone camera is worst than a full frame camera?

The simple answer is the full frame camera gathers more light. So, in low light condition the noise will be lower than a cell phone camera for the same ISO-number.

It's not the only advantage of larger camera sensor, but it's one of them. But they are more expensive and bulky.
Edited by SP67
12/18/2020 09:47 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3341 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2020  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice summary @Eyez !

Only thing I see to comment on, and it may have been this way in the original reference, is that the ISO vs Light is backwards in the leftmost image. The trend shows that smaller ISO is correlated with Less light, but indeed it should be that higher ISO is correlated with Less light. This is true from a couple perspectives:

When less light is available, a larger ISO (sensitivity) is selected to compensate
When a higher ISO is selected, less light (fewer photons) hits the sensor

Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
Edited by rmpsrpms
12/18/2020 09:38 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
581 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2020  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
just noticed that under iso should say more light needed at lower and less light needed for higher.
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2021  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PPorro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a little late to this party but the reason why a cell phone sensor is not as good as a "real" camera is more than how much light. And actually it's more than the sensor or ISO.

The lenses are just not as good. The phones will use sharpening and software to compensate but, starting with a lower grade image, to start with, does hurt some.

A bigger sensor with 12MP for example has larger pixels than a 12MP Phone sensor. Packing all those smaller pixels into the phone sensor, means your image isn't as sharp, when you make it the same size, as the one with larger pixels.

More depth of field, more dynamic range and in general a better image.

Yes it's true, the smaller sensor can't gather light as well as a larger sensor, but there are other important factors that matter as well.

Nice exposure triangle that's always a favorite as changing any one, will mean there will need to be changes in either one or both of the others.

You can't fool Mother Nature and that means the Physics of light in this case.
Edited by PPorro
04/02/2021 5:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
526 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2021  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not know how and I'm trying to set my camera up no. I dont understand a thing on that chart. Iso should be 100, that I get. Setting this T3i up I dont.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
581 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2021  03:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Minnimarine I go from iso 100-200 depending on color of coin most times I set to a low apature like f6-10 also depends on coin and lens that would be for my 50mm but if I use my 300mm then 11 to 12 shutter speed I'm pretty high because less blurr with any kind of motion.
Pillar of the Community
United States
526 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2021  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Minnimarine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Eyez I'm using a Nikon 75mm with a helicoid. I'm starting to get it together. Grabbed some literature on it and then did some shots. Mostly trying to learn the definitions. Never did camera stuff. I'm learning. It seems 100 does pretty good. I will play around and see how it goes. Just picked up a 1905 Fredrick Baden 5 mark so I'm gonna take some shots and then move to smaller coins.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
581 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2021  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sometimes thats all it is Minni learn your equipment and to do that play around.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,036Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05