Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hfjacinto's NGC Registry 7070 Type Set

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 204 / Views: 4,689Next Topic
Page: of 14
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  03:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
With this one and the one I'm posting tomorrow I am now 57% complete and at 142.

You've succeeded in getting all of the "Low Hanging Fruit", which I agree is the smart way to start, and now you've started making excellent progress with some "Classic" coins. Congratulations on making it to #142 in what looks like less than two months since you "officially" started this set on the Registry!

What's your rough estimate/guess as to where you'll be by the end of February? Separately, I think you'll feel quite excited and proud when you eventually break into the Top 100, and rightfully so! (My guess is that will be well after February, but that's perfectly fine - there is NO rush!)

Don't fall into the trap of rushing for those intermediate goals by just trying to fill holes. Instead, do what you have been doing - buy coins for your slots that have the eye appeal that you want, and are in your budget. Don't settle for any coin where you're not happy with its eye appeal!
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Edited by Winesteven
01/25/2021 03:26 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3094 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@winesteven, I have either 4 or 5 on hold at the local coin shop (depends on whether I get the 1806/7 large cent), it has nice eye appeal but is a VG8, so still on the fence about that one. I get a bonus at the end of February so I'll get 2 expensive ones (on hold) including a Trade dollar and capped bust Dime.

With those 4 or 5 I was looking at around 130. I was going to pick up a 2 cent this weekend but 2 fractional notes I wanted came up for sale so I got those. I was missing 5 fractional notes and now I'm missing 3 :)
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  07:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All sounds good!
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

Edited by Winesteven
01/25/2021 07:41 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3094 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  08:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@winesteven,

Here is a link to my US currency type set collection thread. I did this as a detour last year but ended up spending almost all of last year on it. I did pretty well and have a nice currency collection because of it.

http://goccf.com/t/373956
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  08:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I took a look. I know knowthing about currency, other than how to spend it, lol. but it looks beautiful with a lot of older notes in excellent condition (if that's the proper terminology). Good job!

Steve

Pillar of the Community
United States
3094 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, that whole set was a minimum of VF, with a few/lot in higher grades. I'm still not finished with the Fractional Currency (under a $1) of the 1860-1870, I still needed, 5 (well 3 with the new purchases). While I like coins, the notes are just larger with more details and lots of artistry. But this year and next will be dedicated to mostly coins.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Understood. I have just one note, also Fractional Currency. I bought it due to its interest. It's the "Bob Hope" 50 Cent Fifth Issue Fractional Currency, FR#1381 Allison/New/Blue Right End, pp D. I don't know what those terms/words mean, but that's OK. the guy on the front looks just like Bob Hope! It's graded by PMG as 65 EPQ Gem Uncirculated. I was told that's good. I show it to people, since it's so interesting!

Edited by Winesteven
01/25/2021 08:56 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4595 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  09:59 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any chance of a picture Winesteven? Sounds cool.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
3094 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Winesteven , I have the same one:

Quote:
It's the "Bob Hope" 50 Cent Fifth Issue Fractional Currency, FR#1381 Allison/New/Blue Right End, pp D.

Sadly, its not really Bob Hope, Bob wasn't born until 1903.

The 5th issue were released from 2/26/1874 to 2/15/1876. The back of this note was printed by Joseph Carpenter of Philadelphia, while the front are printed by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing.

Willam Harris Crawford was born on 2/24/1772 and died on 9/15/1834. Mr. Crawford served as Georgia State House Representative, a united states senator and as secretary of war. Crawford suffered a severe stroke in 1823, but nonetheless sought to succeed James Monroe in the 1824 election. The Democratic-Republican Party splintered into factions as several others also sought the presidency. No candidate won a majority of the electoral vote, so the United States House of Representatives chose the president in a contingent election. Under the terms of the Constitution, the House selected from the three candidates who received the most electoral votes, leaving Andrew Jackson, John Quincy Adams, and Crawford in the running. The House selected Adams, who asked Crawford to remain at Treasury. Refusing Adams's offer, Crawford accepted appointment to the Georgia state superior court. He considered running in the 1832 presidential election, either for the presidency or the vice presidency, but ultimately chose not to run. Crawford, GA is named in his honor.

Mine is about AU 55, its not graded.

As to:
FR#1381 Allison/New/Blue Right End
FR # is the Freidberg number, Father and Son, took all US Currency issued by the Federal Government and gave it a number, for some issues there are different varieties so you get different FR #. Since Fractional Currency was one of the first issues of Federal Currency, some issues are like large cents, they have a lot of varieties, one of the 50 cents series has over 30 different varieties.

The Blue Right End was a special paper that is blue on the right side, it was created in an effort to stop counterfeiting.

Allison is the Treasurer at the time the note was issued, you can see his signature on the note.

You're grade of 65 EPQ, basically equates to MS 65, EPQ is a designation of "Exceptional Paper Quality", which means the paper is untouched/orginal.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. I took two photos, but being I'm working (and Monday is my busiest day of the week) I have not had a chance to upload those two photos. Thanks for doing it. Even if I did upload, I did not have the detailed information you provided.

I hope none of us gets in trouble by discussing/showing currency in this forum, since there's a more appropriate forum for that. But it was a result of our prior conversation of your collecting time last year.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3094 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I hope none of us gets in trouble by discussing/showing currency in this forum, since there's a more appropriate forum for that. But it was a result of our prior conversation of your collecting time last year.

I believe that jBuck will cut us some slack I don't have any new coins (and the reason was that I picked up 2 new notes) and well get back to coins pretty soon
Learn More...
United States
96250 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3094 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2021  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Today's pick up is a large cent. I'm at 60% complete with this coin and tomorrows.

While I have a full set of Canadian Large cents this is my 2nd US coin.

Thanks for looking

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2021  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
GREAT color! I love "Milk Chocolate" as the color of BN coins. I dislike when they're very dark or black. Nice pickup!

Steve

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54901 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2021  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super example, congrats!
Page: of 14 Previous TopicReplies: 204 / Views: 4,689Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05