Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hfjacinto's NGC Registry 7070 Type Set

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 392 / Views: 13,840Next Topic
Page: of 27
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3068 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking good . I've also had a tough time finding a reasonable priced Reeded edge half. They're either problem coins or overpriced. Good luck!
Valued Member
Russian Federation
376 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Check Slerk's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can I ask you a question ? I am collecting a similar set ( only not 70, but the basic one ) and I need a 20-cent coin for it, I found one for $ 160, but according to PCGS estimates it costs only $ 130, should I overpay$ 30 and buy these 20S or should I wait for a better one ?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4169 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@slerk, honestly it's getting hard to find coins at reasonable prices. I can't say if it's ok to overpay, I've overpaid on 2 of the ones I got so far and haven't been happy with what I paid for either. But remember I have coin shops and other sources so I try to not use eBay, and while I can avoid eBay for most items I'm getting close to not being able to. So I might overpay again as I can't find what I'm missing locally. What I'll do is suck it up and pay it. While I look at the upside, this is a hobby.

I know I didn't answer your question because only you can decide if it's worth it to overpay.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1537 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If a coin has exceptional eye appeal, it is not a shame to overpay a little above Greysheet.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4169 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If a coin has exceptional eye appeal, it is not a shame to overpay a little above Greysheet.

The PCGS price guide is way above greysheet. After June I've hard a hard finding anything near greysheet mind you finding stuff below.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1537 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I compared eBay prices for a 1875-S 20C Piece in XF-45 and AU-58 condition and they seem to be a bit above PCGS. Not surprising as the seller has to recover the eBay fees.
So, contact the seller directly (find out where the actual coin store is) and make the seller an offer.

Greysheet might simply not be up-to-date.
Edited by NumisEd
09/20/2021 9:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3294 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4169 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What @numised said. I've offered sellers lower prices when I think an item is too high even with out a Make Offer, most times they say yes, a few times they say no. I just message them and ask.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
313 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion, coins are NOT commodities! Whether you look at the Greysheet, the PCGS or NGC or the CAC or Coin World or the Numismatic News or ANY other price guide, they are only guides. Every coin is different. When all of us look at auction prices realized, prices for the same date same exact grade vary all over the place!

For me, if I see a problem free coin with special eye appeal that doesn't come around too often, if I really want it, I'm willing to pay an extra 10% - 30% over the guides. Keep in mind, in today's coin market, AT EVERY PRICE POINT, really nice coins at auctions and dealers are selling at high prices.
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Edited by Winesteven
09/20/2021 10:00 pm
Valued Member
Russian Federation
376 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Check Slerk's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, I have no other sources of replenishment of the collection except through the Internet. Sometimes some sellers raise the price very high and I am not even inferior in price to a potential buyer, as a result, the coin is not sold and continues to hang on the trading platform for several years.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
313 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I fully agree Slerk that if coins are hanging around at a particular price unsold for many months (3?), then that particular coin is indeed overpriced based on that coins eye appeal (or lack thereof)!
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

Pillar of the Community
United States
4169 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Number 6

5 to go!

This maybe it for a few weeks, I have an extra 2 coin reverse proof, that I was planning on selling, but I'm might keep it and the Morgans and Peace are coming soon, so that means no 7070 in 2 weeks and all the others are costly which means I have to save up. I'm at 92% and 77 (was 75 a few days ago).

This one was pretty nice and looks really good.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
313 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
REAL NICE!!!!!! Congratulations!

Steve

Learn More...
United States
104611 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4169 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys, I really liked this one.
Page: of 27 Previous TopicReplies: 392 / Views: 13,840Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05