Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hfjacinto's NGC Registry 7070 Type Set

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 129 / Views: 2,600Next Topic
Page: of 9
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jbuck, you too are so kind!
Learn More...
United States
94325 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2905 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Today we stick with 5 cents again. The history of the war time nickels is an interesting one but there has been some doubt thrown into the mix.

The basic story was that nickel was a critical war metal needed, but removing it from 5 cents really would haven't given much back to the war effort. The change in nickel alloy may have saved as much as 827,163 pounds of nickel but that amount was actually insignificant since 300 million pounds of nickel were produced annually during World War II.

I read several articles and speculation that the real reason for the change in composition was probably to boost the morale of American citizens by showing the Mint was doing its part in the war effort by doing without nickel.

You can read more here:
https://coinweek.com/modern-coins/s...d-varieties/

Never the less, the War Nickels when in MS, look pretty nice.

Edited by hfjacinto
01/12/2021 09:28 am
Learn More...
United States
94325 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice example!
Quote:
I read several articles and speculation that the real reason for the change in composition was probably to boost the morale of American citizens by showing the Mint was doing its part in the war effort by doing without nickel.
Very interesting!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53577 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great read, thanks for the link!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2905 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Going to 50 cents now. We have the "Pretty Lady strolling in the Sunshine"

Learn More...
United States
94325 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Going to 50 cents now. We have the "Pretty Lady strolling in the Sunshine"
Excellent!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2905 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  08:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Continuing with the 50 cents we get a Ben, this is honestly my least favorite US coin, but I needed one for the type set.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4225 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  09:09 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lol. Give Ben a little love.

He's not all that bad.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1751 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice additions!

I don't mind ugly Ben's! Sure it's pretty low on the list of attractive coinage, but I can appreciate them. Someday I'll build a set and send you every single pic/update along the way HF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2905 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Someday I'll build a set and send you every single pic/update along the way HF!

Thanks TY

AS long as we know its a "bison" nickel, all is forgiven.
Learn More...
United States
94325 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Continuing with the 50 cents we get a Ben, this is honestly my least favorite US coin, but I needed one for the type set.
The daily dose. Looking good!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2905 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still have a few to post, but nothing new for a few more days :(
Learn More...
United States
94325 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I still have a few to post, but nothing new for a few more days :(
Worth the wait.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1751 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
AS long as we know its a "bison" nickel, all is forgiven.

Still waiting to see this made up variety you speak of.....won't see a spot for that in your registry set!!
Page: of 9 Previous TopicReplies: 129 / Views: 2,600Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05