Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Aussie Shillings For Grading: 1915-H, 1911

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 349Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
650 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2020  09:56 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Haven't received these yet. I think they were good pick-ups

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18354 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2020  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
'11:- vG
'15H:- G.
Valued Member
Australia
341 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2020  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1911 is gF and 1915 is VG
Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2020  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the feedback. I realize there are different grading systems. It reinforces my conclusion that NGC has generous grading standards, as I compare my coins to their examples. I paid $27 USD for the coins and feel happy about the purchase in any event.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2383 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2020  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the states I would grade the '11 as a VF25...the '15 as a F12/15...with scratch (?) from Emu's beak.

KK
Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2020  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
with scratch (?) from Emu's beak.

I hope not. Haven't received yet.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55848 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2020  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say VG and G/VG, respectively.
Pillar of the Community
United States
650 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2020  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a pair of low resolution NGC-graded coins (best I could find, at the time). I did auto-adjust colors in Infranview to show detail better. I think my 1911 easily falls between them. The second is XF-45

Edited by otto
12/31/2020 8:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2444 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  01:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1911 - Fine to Fine+
1915 - VG, aVG not bad pair and real.

I suspect 1911 is likely cleaned.

Otto - bear in mind Sel_69 and I grade according to British scale which means American VF is more British Fine. The VF25 piece you show is bare Fine in our money and the EF45 is bare VF.

A way I grade

VG = Full band across George, middle can be almost indistinct
Fine - Division between band and jewels must be visible, middle diamond blended with detail
VFine - the Middle diamond must be distinct from either band, and the two sets of pearls may be blended but distinct from bands
EF - The pearls either side of middle diamond must be sharp and garter belt on King's chest must be sharp.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 349Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05