Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1996 Toonie With Beads

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,329Next Topic
Page: of 2

Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2021  09:35 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Backmandy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A friend of mine found this Canadian Two Dollar Coin about a year ago. He couldn't find any information on any 2 dollar coins with beads. I know the test tokens have beads so is this some sort of crossover of the planchets? Any help appreciated. Excuse the photos as he is very low tech.

Edited by Backmandy
01/04/2021 09:36 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4860 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2021  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are 4 or 5 of these beaded toonies listed in PCGS pop report, you could look up at PCGS site #41756 pattern Canada test tokens. You should send to PCGS to grade it it's kind of a rare test piece, good luck and welcome !
Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2021  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Backmandy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out and then see if he wants to get it graded.
Learn More...
United States
106380 Posts
Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 10sED to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, this would be my first post,... I have been collecting toonie's for a couple years and yes this looks to be a beaded toonie. let me know what you decide to do with this coin? I would be interested to know. Thank you in advance,
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12549 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF
We will need to see photos of both sides of the
Toonie in able to help you.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2047 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Didn't we just recently see one of these on auction? I didn't see what I ended up selling for, had a really high start bid, I think like 5k or something
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4860 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, sold for like 4700 or so plus juice and HST, these are the kind of varieties one should be looking for
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2047 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't toonie search often, I imagine these are extremely rare, and to find one in the wild probably next to impossible.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
593 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t_y to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you mind post in what province it was found? Thanks
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4860 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All the ones except this poster"s coin, was found in change, maybe this one was also found in change too.
Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 10sED to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found in change, is there a story behind the one that just went for auction? where it came from? Would anyone guesstimate how many they may be?
Valued Member
Canada
411 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinman91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and good question! Must be very rare with 4-5 in the pop report!
There's always two sides to the coin if you have the patience to see. -Kathryn Budig
Pillar of the Community
Canada
593 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t_y to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The one that just sold was found in the Ottawa region.

In fact the vast majority of the reported coins where found in Ontario, suggesting, together with many other reasons, being struck in Ottawa. The only one positively found in circulation elsewhere was in BC.

How many coins are out there? Well that's a guess, pick a number. My number? Based on all the info I have, anywhere between 25 and 100. Through the years I collected reports of more than 50 but most of them were about the same coin: one particular circulated example published in the Canadian Coin News about 20 years ago.

Regardless what PCGS calls it (who told them that? Not a twoonie expert for sure), in my opinion, this coin is NOT a pattern - it was willingly, intentionally, struck for circulation in the Ottawa mint - it is a VARIETY. if I am right, this is one of the rarest Canadian decimal circulation coins. The 4700 plus juice a lucky collector paid for it will prove to be a real bargain. Congrats to him - a very good friend and a true numismatist.
Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 10sED to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW, is all I can say, thank you for your input gentlemen and what a story. I'm sure in years to come we might learn more,... thanks
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4029 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, you guys made me look at the $250 worth that I have for t_y but none there There are many different dates in those rolls that were collected from snowbirds down South or US visitors that carry them back home from North of the border. The 5 rolls came from the US.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,329Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: