Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ten Numismatic Books I'd Love To Read

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 467Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
7804 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2021  11:26 pm Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this article linked in last nights e-sylum issue sent out by the NBS. It got me thinking what would my top 10 Numimatic Books I'd like to read are, and maybe some of you have ideas as well. Please share you own lists that you come up with. Remember these are book that don't exist but you wish they did.

The E-Sylum: Volume 9, Number 25, June 18, 2006, Article 9

DICK JOHNSON: TEN NUMISMATIC BOOKS I'D LOVE TO READ

Dick Johnson writes: Here is a list of ten numismatic books I would purchase and love to read if they existed:

10. Confessions of an Illicit Coin Slabber.
9. How To Design a Modern Coin.
8. The Western Gold Bar Controversy? The 24 Karat Truth.
7. Coin Grading By Ouija Board: A More Accurate System.
6. Coin Con Catalog? A Comprehensive List of Criminals in Numismatics.
5. The Secret History of Walter H. Breen.
4. The Red Book of Numismatic Literature.
3. ANA Politics, Scandal and Rumor? The Truth Revealed.
2. The Official History of the United States Mint.
1. Coin Engraving Through The Ages.

Number 6 is a topic I've been curious about for some time. We've discussed some "Numismatic Ne'er-Do-Well's" in the past - murderers, thieves, adulterers, pedophiles, plagiarists, etc. It would make for an interesting read.

Number 4 is another interesting one, and right on target for bibliophiles. Charlie Davis' book on American Numismatic Literature is a great reference, but long outdated as far as pricing goes. Denis Kroh's book on ancient coin literature is also long out of print.

A compact, up-to-date reference to numismatic literature would be most welcome. As with any such book, the hard part would be deciding what to include in the limited available space, and by what criteria.

What are your thoughts, readers? Are any such books already in the works? Anyone willing to tackle a new project? Other ideas (serious or otherwise) for books that aren't but ought to be?

-Editor Wayne Homren
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT by Westcoin:
Number 8 has since been written by Karl V. Moulton titled John J. Ford, Jr. and the "Franklin Hoard"

Number 7 (sort of) as the Official Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection by PCGS

Number 4 in two volumes by John Adams United States numismatic literature only not including pricing.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2021  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add howell1018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"The Legend of Howell1018, How He Won the Largest Super Lotto Ever and Went On to Form the Greatest Collection of Morgan dollars and Marry Gal Gadot." (My wife may have something to say about this.)
Pillar of the Community
United States
7804 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2021  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now on to my own list of numismatic books I'd love to read if they existed...

1. The story of the 1864 Small Motto Proof Two Cent Piece (This is a book which I've been slowly researching and working on for a couple of years now).

2. Inside the mind of Q. David Bowers and his insights and personal stories about the rare coin business.

3. The whole story behind King Farouk of Egypt's coin auction.

4. An insiders look at how the latest Chinese coin counterfeiters do business and create the near impossible fakes.

5. Before & After the Rare coin Market boom and implosion, the Untold Stories of the biggest and most unusual coin deals of the 1970's through the 1990's, including the deals that "never happened."

Now let's hear your list. I'm too well entrenched in my United States coinage so I didn't try to go outside my area of knowledge here, but I'm sure there are other list ideas including ancient and world coins.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

Edited by westcoin
01/04/2021 11:43 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18383 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  01:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dumbarton Oaks Catalogs (Byzantine coins)
Pillar of the Community
United States
7804 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  03:21 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sel_69, but the Dumbarton Oaks Catalogs actually exist! This is a list of books that haven't been written yet or ever will be probably, yet you want to read.

If you need copies of the Dumbarton catalogs, there is always the free online versions, just click on each cover to bring up the download links.

https://www.doaks.org/resources/pub...ollection%22

Edited by westcoin
01/05/2021 03:22 am
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18383 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  07:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
THX for the info!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1777 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are my two:

"Day by Day: When Silver hit $1000 per ounce"

"Photograde: Hard Times Tokens"
Learn More...
United States
98373 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
7. Coin Grading By Ouija Board: A More Accurate System.
I have to admit, this one shot Pepsi up my nose. Is it really that funny or am I just that easily amused after 2020?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8379 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  10:36 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"How I made 1,000,000 selling Peter Rabbit 50p's on eBay"

"A Complete History of the Coinage of Tristan da Cunha" - Pages 1 and 2 deal with the territory's coins up to 2004 and Pages 3 - 600 with coins issued since 2005. Available as a limited Proof edition of 5,000 copies, with a solid gold-plated cupro-nickel cover.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3859 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  11:29 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One I will add .... " The Secrets of the Coin Conservation Services,
How we Make Millions on what you Can do for free in your Kitchen "
A second tome " A trip to the Poor House ,
How not to bid at a Coin Auction"
A third The King of Wishful Thinking " A how to page by page thriller
On acquiring Mint State US coins for pennies on the dollar from your Favourite Far Eastern EBay Seller
Edited by Pacificoin
01/05/2021 11:33 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5563 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are three I'd be interested in buying and reading...

In the same vein as the current library of "100 Greatest..." books:

1. The 100 Greatest 20th Century Collectible Commemorative Coins from Around the World

I wouldn't be interested in a book filled with ultra-rare coins that are impossible / near impossible for most collectors to acquire.

To support my medal collecting habit:

2. The US Medal Market: 1960-1990

There were thousands of medals released in the US during this 30-year period. I would love to explore a comprehensive discussion of the sponsors / producers of the medals of this period and see as complete of a list of medals as possible. I read a lot of publications from that time period to learn what I can, but it would be great to read the findings of another researcher / author!

Lastly, a book that would help me understand some of today's collectors:

3. The Top 10 Methods Third-Party Grading Companies Use to Convince Collectors to Collect Coins by Slab Insert

Many collectors of today (regardless of age) have abandoned the "Buy the coin, not the holder" advice in order to pursue multiples of the same coin encapsulated with different inserts. Even as someone prone to collecting multiple official packaging options for modern US commemorative coins (i.e., base coin + coin in Coin & Stamp Set + coin in Young Collector's Set, etc.), I can't make the leap to collecting the same coin by TPG slab insert variety. I'd love to learn the insider secrets as to how the TPG companies have made it happen!

An illustrative story of the insert collecting phenomena: I was at a coin show a few years back and overheard two collectors discussing their pursuits (we were sharing a lunch table at the time). One was a baseball fan and was attempting to collect the 2014 Baseball Hall of Fame silver dollar by PCGS insert type. He said there were more than 100 different labels! I couldn't help but think about the money it would take him to complete such a set! (FWIW: I checked the PCGS site before posting this and found that there are more than 190 different inserts each for the proof and uncirculated coins listed! I wonder what progress that collector has made in the last few years?!)

Quote:
2. Inside the mind of Q. David Bowers and his insights and personal stories about the rare coin business.

@westcoin: This sounds like the Bowers book you posted about last summer. Is this book still a possibility? I haven't seen an update from you since November and have been wondering.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7804 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@westcoin: This sounds like the Bowers book you posted about last summer. Is this book still a possibility? I haven't seen an update from you since November and have been wondering.

So far all I know is it's been delayed to allow Dave time to finish his Whitman RedBook series of coin types. Not a fan of this decision but I get that it probably makes more financial sense to Whitman.

I just really want a comprehensive biography and stories from the man himself. He is such a treasure in the numismatic world and he's not getting any younger. I could really care less about a new Whitman RedBook Series book on State Quarters, or National Park Quarters or Modern Silver Eagles, etc. over Dave Bowers take on the coin market from 1955 onward including stories from his past.

Knowing Dave he has probably already got a large part of it written and is just waiting for the Whitman contract to be over.

Edited by westcoin
01/05/2021 12:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1045 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really don't have a list. I usually buy what I'm collecting at the moment, for instance currently looking for one on Irish republic coinage of 1928-1969 as I just began these. I do buy books that strike my interest, like From Mine to Mint and Robert Morris: Financier of the American Revolution. As you've mentioned the 1864 small moto, a great companion would be In God We Trust. An excellent read on those sourced from official records and documentation of the era.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
United States
7804 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  11:20 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm re-reading an old classic the "Abe Kosoff Remembers" (from his old Coin World columns) I realized that there is a lot of information on the King Farouk Auctions by Sotheby's (auctioneers) & Baldwin's (catalogers). Enough information that I've gone back to my catalogs and been able to fill in many holes of prices realized and who bought what lots. Many lots sold then were re-sold or re-auctioned back here in America as the dealers worked together in an unusual way to not compete against each other in Eygpt.

It's been a fun read again during the power outages we've had in Texas, kept me occupied for the week we had no heat or power. Reading by candlelight/lantern, and curled up in my sub-zero sleeping bag. Yay.

So my #3 on the list is more complete, as I had forgot how detailed Abe's memory was on the details of the Farouk sale.

Edited by westcoin
02/20/2021 11:22 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 467Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05