Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1988 D Lincoln Memorial Cent. RPM ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 165Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
780 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  5:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The area at the top serif sorta resembles CC#008 or 013? This one looks on vertical bar at upper is thicker inside/East and outside/West ? Right above vertical looks raised.

Whatcha think please and thanks.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2603 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not a D over D, it's just Split Plate Doubling. The strike pressure caused the too thin copper plating to split and exposes the zinc core.
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Pillar of the Community
United States
681 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think OP is talking about the split plating. There is something going on with the upper left side of the D on the outside edge.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2603 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh!
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Pillar of the Community
United States
780 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking about these.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47757 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There was an issue with mintmark punch damage that affected that year:
http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/...ie_state=eds
Note the information about the de-listing of this die on the site.
I found several affected dies that year:

The OP's coin may have been one of the early affected damaged punch issues. Note just the one side of the mintmark is affected. If it were a RPM, I would expect to see the top on the inside of the mintmark to also be affected.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1071 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  11:10 am  Show Profile   Check Kloccwork419's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Kloccwork419 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
780 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 165Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05