Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1985 Canada / New Zealand Dollar Mule?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,703Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
219 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  10:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NiNGCumpoop to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone. I was taking pictures of some 1985 nickel dollars to list on eBay and I noticed this when I was cropping the pictures. I almost listed the darn thing for a few bucks....Phew! My question is.....is it fake?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4734 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Time to grade it and you are off to races, cool and good luck !
Valued Member
Canada
219 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NiNGCumpoop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks John100. I will definitely consider getting it graded. To which grading service I don't know yet but I'll look into that.
Valued Member
Canada
117 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canada67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Very cool...and very rare! Congrats!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4734 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Belongs in a PCGS slab but a CCCS slab will do
Valued Member
Canada
89 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fefimo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Big congratulations! Fantastic find!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
846 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  01:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will go with CCCS. Is the most conservative and wright I know.

Nice piece.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
846 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  01:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No fake. In that time Canada strike for Australia , New Zeeland and others. I have from same period 1c 10c strike. was happened. Those are nice pieces to collect. Nice piece and thanks to share.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
802 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  01:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oldmike to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice ,according to Numista that is a New Zealand 50 cent mule ,only 6 known
Edited by oldmike
01/12/2021 01:31 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
846 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  01:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Oldmike. Census is hard to divine, what it shore not many you can find.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18541 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  05:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Krause reports KM#95 for New Zealand a 1985 50 Cent mule with Canada One Dollar KM#120.

Not happy with what as I see as:-
a double rim on the obverse.

Can't quite figure out why it has a circumferential copper color between the double rims.
The 1985 New Zealand 50 Cents copper-nickel 13.61 grams, 31.75mm dia,
the 1985 Canada One Dollar pure nickel 15.62 grams, 32.13mm dia.

Have a close look at the double rim on the obverse, under a microscope.
Check for weight, diameter XRF test for pure nickel or copper-nickel, and ping tone.

Would be very tempting to make fake mules of these, and sell for a lot of dishonest bucks.
A trained metal machinist in a well equipped workshop would be able to do it easily.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
803 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  06:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a machinist, I agree with sel_691. These can be made, but you can always tell if it was with a loupe. There will be a seam where the 2 sides were pressed together. In this case the obverse. But that copper tone seen is on both photos. I think its the lighting, not real copper.

A simple ping test should tell you if it has been faked. A true coin will sound normal, a fake made from 2 coins will sound "dull". Easily discernable.

I don't think this one has been faked, but that's just my opinion. Good luck with the grading, and I hope you found the 7th. Wouldn't that be great.
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
Valued Member
Canada
219 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NiNGCumpoop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I weighed the coin - 15.66g I weighed another 1985 nickel dollar with the same scale and it is 15.52g. Charlton states 15.62g and I understand that the weight will vary slightly with planchet thickness and coin wear. As for ping I cannot tell a difference. The rim has a normal looking ridge similar to the other 1985 I looked at. I can't see any tool marks, compression or tampering on the grooves on the rim. I may just have to send it in to get it authenticated.
I understand that there are different opinions on grading services. I could still use some guidance with that.
Valued Member
Canada
219 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  07:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NiNGCumpoop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I forgot to mention diameter. I measure 32 mm. Looks the same as the 1985 when stacked.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
803 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  07:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As for ping I cannot tell a difference.

Good news there. You would have heard a difference. .

Is the copper we are seeing in the pics just lighting?

Is the alignment perfect? This would be good. Trust me, it is very hard to get perfect alignment when turning 2 coins into 1. ,

What did you use for measuring the diameter? Tape measure, vernier calipers or a micrometer? Your coins values for weight and diameter are probably within the mints acceptable range. Looking good.

Lets hope SPP sees this soon. He knows the nickel dollars well. .

Like I said earlier, and with your added info, I think its real. I can't imagine your heart rate about this. Congrats, but don't have "the big one". .
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
Edited by loonielewy
01/12/2021 08:12 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4734 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Major errors like this should be in a PCGS slab to get max value, but this error speaks for itself any slab will do if you are going to sell it. I have been waiting for many weeks for delivery of some Heritage Auction items that normally delivered in normal times 10 days after auction, I hope the delays are only due to covid. Check I Collector for last sold one of these coin, ICCS use to grade these coin phone them out,
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,703Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05