Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Error Ike Proof - Heritage Auctions Upcoming Listing - Wow!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 354Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2705 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  07:26 am Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This one caught my eye! Great multi-error Eisenhower Proof to be offered on Heritage Auctions. I would love to have this one, but it sold just last year for $11,700, so I would think it's going to be out of my price range by at least $11,675. https://coins.ha.com/itm/errors/197...sults-012417

197?-S Eisenhower dollar, PR64
Double Struck on a Clad Half Dollar Planchet

197?-S $1 Clad Eisenhower dollar -- Double Struck on a 50C Planchet -- PR64 NGC. 11.2 grams, within tolerance for a clad Kennedy half dollar planchet. The last digit of the date is obscured by the second strike. The primary impression is perfectly centered, with all border legends slightly running off the flan. The secondary impression is offset to the right slightly, creating a "doubled die" appearance on each side. Deep mirroring characterizes the fields, particularly in the areas struck by the second die impression. Dramatic mint errors on Eisenhower dollars are rare, with or without a readable date.

"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Pillar of the Community
United States
2756 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  07:39 am  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good gracious there's so much going on!

No wonder it sold for 11k!
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
The concept of maturity is complex. While one's capacity to be mature can be correlated with age, someone's overall maturity and respect for life is not. Maturity is formed through experience and perception.
Human progress can only be achieved through trial and error.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18162 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Makes me think if it may have been a clandestinely made 'Mint sport' on official minting machinery.
Just deliberately feed a Half Dollar blank into a minting press that is striking Ikes at the time.

Not the first time that mint employees have been dishonest:-
How about the 1913 Liberty nickel?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When The Royal Mint was being shut down at Tower Hill in London in 1970, the Mint employees did all sorts of weird concoctions in protest, and threw their products over the perimeter wall so that they couldn't be discovered.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1737 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Makes me think if it may have been a clandestinely made 'Mint sport

Without a doubt. Especially for a "proof" issue.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1346 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  09:32 am  Show Profile   Check Kloccwork419's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Kloccwork419 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Imagine having $12k just to blow on a coin....hopefully one day..
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4022 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that @jbuck secretly bought this and did not tell us.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54901 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool, thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4742 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's just amazing. An absolute stunner. Imagine finding something like this in a proof set? I can only dream....

-CH27
Collector of U.S. varieties and errors
Pillar of the Community
United States
654 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Crazy error! I like the "E" on the throat.
Best Find - 1976 D WQ DDO-001 http://goccf.com/t/382777

Interesting find - 1947 S over inverted S http://goccf.com/t/368005
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1380 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Fantastic error coin!
Valued Member
United States
120 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IsThisAnything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Out of my price range by at least $11,675" is the greatest thing I've read all day

... but yeah me too
Edited by IsThisAnything
01/17/2021 12:02 am
Learn More...
United States
96250 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 354Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05