Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1939 LWC DDR Help Requested

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 216Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2747 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  10:51 am Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Trying to figure out which DDR this might match to.

I'm thinking either DDR-003, 004, 007, or 009.

Honestly not sure though. Having a hard time finding any die markers.

"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
The concept of maturity is complex. While one's capacity to be mature can be correlated with age, someone's overall maturity and respect for life is not. Maturity is formed through experience and perception.
Human progress can only be achieved through trial and error.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5152 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see any doubling.
IMO it's a circulated coin with light damage.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
442 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add td5173 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In 4 bank bags that I searched I seen a lot of coins like that I spent hours trying to place. What I started to do was put them on a look at later box. When I finely went back and relooked at it if I still could not place it I put back in the bag. But that is just me. Good luck.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2747 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  11:54 am  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kanga you don't see the doubling? Besides the E being flattened, most of the devices in EPU are very enlarged. The dots are elongated It's a strong doubled die.

The difference is is that this was not a coin I found. This was given to me by Tropicalbats, like a lot of other coins. He assigned me with the task of identifying them.

I can assure you this is a strong doubled die reverse, however, identifying which one it is, is the tricky part.

EDIT: td5173 I don't think that strategy works for me. If a coin is a type of variety, yet you can't figure out what one, you shouldn't just toss it back. Put it in a 2x2 and possibly send it off to Wexler's or something on a later date.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump
The concept of maturity is complex. While one's capacity to be mature can be correlated with age, someone's overall maturity and respect for life is not. Maturity is formed through experience and perception.
Edited by SilverCents
01/16/2021 11:56 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48946 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die crack on shoulder on obverse? (I'm leaning towards -009 so far?)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2747 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I couldn't find a die marker on Abe's shoulder, or any die chips on the wheat stalks. However there's only one stage listed so I'm thinking it could be a new stage that doesn't have the die markers.
Edited by SilverCents
01/16/2021 12:18 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48946 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Each device on the EPU on your coin to note the shape of each of these devices. I noticed some were tapered more to a point on some of the devices, while other die numbers didn't have them on the other numbers. Check to see if you see what I saw on your coin. (Flattening does alter the devices, but the areas I was noticing was on the tops of each devices)
http://www.varietyvista.com/01a%20L...9PDDR009.htm
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Edited by coop
01/16/2021 12:51 pm
Valued Member
United States
209 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Related to what coop stated: The inner and outer circumferences of the O of ONE and the O of OF are often not uniform so those might give you some insight.

For instance, the O of ONE is usually thickest at about 11 o'clock, but not always.

With the fact that there is no mintmark as a marker and with such heavy circulation wear, you may never really know.

Good luck.

edit: Also the thickness of the stems can be a telling sign.
Edited by CentSation
01/16/2021 1:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2747 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hm yes I do notice that. I think it just might be mild circulation wear? However it being on the top of the devices is rather strange. Not normal movement flow. Not sure what to make of it, though the bottom of the devices do remain quite thick indicating it's a Class VI doubling.

I also notice that the last U in UNUM is the wrong shape for the DDR-009. On VV, it's more sunken in, unlike the first U in UNUM. However on my coin it's just as thick as the first U. Perhaps this means it's an earlier die stage? It would make sense if in relation to the absence of the die chips and cracks. Not sure if die wear would cause the U to sink in like that though.

Could be an unlisted one perhaps? I'm honestly not sure.

EDIT: CentStation, yes the O in ONE is not rounded correctly, it's stretched.
Edited by SilverCents
01/16/2021 1:06 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48946 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It took a hit along with the device just above that area. (That is why the tops of the devices are better as the rim helps protect them. Best to take images like the site. That way you can confirm a side by side comparison. Note on the site, they usually take the images in the same pattern on each die. (even on unaffected devices, but they may have die scratches on them to compare with. You just have to take note of the Description box) On this one is says:

Quote:

Description: Strong extra thickness on E PLURIBUS UNUM, both wheat ears and stems.
Richard S. Cooper

Pillar of the Community
United States
2747 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah okay gotcha that makes sense. Indeed, however the U is indeed different than the one on VV, when I zoom in on it and create an image like the ones on VV.

What's the conclusion here? New die stage? Unlisted DDR? I find these Wheat cent DDRs quite tricky.

CentStation, you're 100% right, when circulation and die wear come into play with these DDRs, it becomes very VERY difficult to pin point what you should label it as.

I think for the time being I'll just label it as DDR-009 with a question mark.
Edited by SilverCents
01/16/2021 1:29 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48946 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you compare the Stems to see if they are enlarged on your coin? That would make or break that die number is the stems were normal.
Richard S. Cooper

Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 216Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05