Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1802 Draped Bust Dime Fresh Out Of The Dirt

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 64 / Views: 2,869Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member
Canada
221 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ironhorse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been detecting over twenty five years now and in that time always checking out others great finds along the way...this one is really good. Not many coins of this era show up under our coils, and if they do often they aren't in anywhere near the condition your coin is. Most are worn flat with little or no details left or scratched or dented, yours is quite good for out of the ground.

...you also know it's good if it's getting attention here on this site..and that's saying a lot

theres a few of us posting in the md section check us out sometime
Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Make sure you post this coin when it comes back from NGC. It will be interesting to see if it comes back as genuine. Best of luck!

Should be interesting. Can't wait!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3478 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW!!

Please post an update, especially after grading.

United States
11 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Angrymanatee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will definitely post the results when I have them. NGC received the coin on Monday and the services we selected suggests about a 3 week turn around time. Thanks for all the input everyone! I asked a couple dealers before I sent it in and most of them were suggesting a lower grade, but in the same visit were asking if I'd sell it to them. Made me wonder if they were looking for a deal or if it was not as great as I thought it was. I'm definitely feeling better about it now!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2178 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@manatee, what grades were the dealers suggesting? Could very well be the case they were trying to take advantage, sadly.
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Angrymanatee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first guy suggested it was VG, maybe Fine. But he also said he'd would be willing to send it to PCGS and cover all the costs if I signed a contract to sell it to him after it came back graded and he'd pay whatever book value was on the grading they gave it. Sounded suspect and I didn't care for the contract aspect.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3788 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find. Are you going back to same site ?
Pillar of the Community
United States
9927 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The first guy suggested it was VG, maybe Fine

if this coin comes back at VG i'll eat my shorts!
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Angrymanatee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jimbucks, myself and a few friends were out there the very next day looking for more and all the was found was an unidentifiable large cent and a Teddy Roosevelt commemorative token. Cool items, but nothing else coin wise. Some cool relics, but nothing meant for this forum. We hope to go back in the spring and try our luck then.
Valued Member
United States
230 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam590 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This looks MUCH, MUCH better than a VG coin. I used to have a loose 1807 dime that probably graded between F(12) and F(15), and this coin's details are significantly stronger. Great find!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7755 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
vf details ED. like others have said, great coin find
Pillar of the Community
United States
1809 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  02:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpbone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A rookie coin collector can see this coin is better than VG. He was trying to swindle you. This is an exciting story. I can't wait to see what it comes back as. Hard to imagine anything other than VF details.
Pillar of the Community
United States
689 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JJuliano to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome dig. Way to go!
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
"How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it." - Marcus Aurelius
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2021  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Angrymanatee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, we got word back from NGC on the grading. It is genuine and in transit on the way home. They sent us pics of it in the holder, but before I post what the final grade is, here's some better pics of it slabbed. I'm curious if everyone still thinks it could be in the VF range or if these clearer pics change your minds. You all seem to be pretty accurate as a whole community from the other 'You vs' posts I've been reading and it's nice to get a community opinion on it rather than that from someone with skin in the game. Unfortunately, NGC did not feel conservation was needed, so there's still dirt on the backside that I didn't get off before it was sent.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8411 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2021  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great to hear!

I wouldn't grade it below VF, and I've spent time around early bust coins trying to find a true diamond in the rough. I could see it going EF/XF Details the more I look at it, but I feel that's a tad optimistic. I think maybe VF35 details.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 64 / Views: 2,869Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05