Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1802 Draped Bust Dime Fresh Out Of The Dirt

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 64 / Views: 2,884Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2021  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With dirt still on the coin inside the slab...........Hmmmmmmm!?!?!
Pillar of the Community
United States
910 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2021  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great find! I say VF 30 Details.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2182 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2021  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still at VF Details. I personally would have gone with an acetone soak before sending it off, get rid of the dirt. Heckuva find
Pillar of the Community
United States
2892 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2021  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am seeing some environmental damage to the eagles wing and the scratches on the shield would most likely get the coin a VF Details or net graded F15.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5445 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2021  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The in-slab photos are less flattering. I'd be at F-15 detail, with ED plus damage (scrapes on the eagle and scratches on and in front of Liberty).

I'd be disappointed that NGC apparently wasn't willing to attempt any conservation. You'd think some improvement would be possible.

Still a wonderful find, one of the best ever on CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7751 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2021  05:24 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll stay with my original guess, I find my gut feeling off the bat is usually better than when I try and second guess myself VF25/30 Details.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15031 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2021  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about revealing the grade now that we are all scratching our heads wondering what the grade is ?
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Learn More...
United States
97989 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2021  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well, we got word back from NGC on the grading. It is genuine and in transit on the way home.
Excellent!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2182 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2021  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How about revealing the grade now that we are all scratching our heads wondering what the grade is ?

I'm sure we're all anxiously waiting
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1256 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2021  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That Coin Dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The suspense!
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if
My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you! A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification. I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1645 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2021  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Unfortunately, NGC did not feel conservation was needed, so there's still dirt on the backside.

How can that happen with a coin of that rarity?

Quote:
How about revealing the grade now that we are all scratching our heads

I'm in, lets get the show on the road.......

Everything can change in just one day.........

Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Edited by Rothery
02/08/2021 3:43 pm
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2021  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Angrymanatee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NGC didn't grade it as high as everyone guessing here, which is why I was asking before sharing the grade. They gave it VG details. Unfortunately Panzaldi has to eat his shorts now... So now I wonder why it may have gotten that and if I should ask for a regrade. I've been staring at coins from this era with similar grades and mine is just as good if not better in details, but is mine losing that much because of the scratches? What do you all think?

Pillar of the Community
United States
910 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2021  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I disagree with VG. I just checked my Bowers grading manual and for VG half of the reverse motto letters must be worn away (not in this case), most of the feathers must be worn away (not in this case), most obverse hair strands must be gone (not in this case), etc.
Edited by NumisEd
02/08/2021 8:27 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15031 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2021  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you up to going for a few more bucks and crossing it over to PCGS ?
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
2892 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2021  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NGC is out to lunch on the grade for this coin. A Fine details would be acceptable, but a VG details is not acceptable. I also do not understand why they would not conserve the coin to eliminate the dig find dirt. Crack it out then soak in acetone and rinse in distilled water to rid of the find dirt. Do not wipe the coin. Send the coin to PCGS or sell raw. Selling the coin in that holder would cost you money.
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 64 / Views: 2,884Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05