Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The "One Box Collection" - Could You Do It?

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 66 / Views: 1,598Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1723 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add samsnate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I remember reading about this notion as well. To be honest the idea has intrigued me and I've thought about it but reality is I like my full sets too much (not that I have many on the go anyways). I am considering though picking up a few higher grade graded coins for things like monarch changes, design changes etc etc. Kind of "first year of, first time of" sub collection. So I guess I would be looking at my box plus my collection.
Edited by samsnate
01/20/2021 6:43 pm
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CMattB2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have a single slabbed coin. I don't know why, maybe because slabs scare me. Although I do have a few coins that should be slabbed, but again, they scare me.

Also, the thought of only having 20 coins scares me. That's not even a roll full
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1723 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add samsnate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Clowns scare me lol
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9374 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dolls scare me.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4012 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2021  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I could only have 20 items, I would rapidly lose interest in collecting. It might be an investment I would put in a safety deposit box, but I would no longer be a coin collector.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1723 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add samsnate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What about top 50 coins? Then what say you people?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3080 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 7070 needs at least 79 coins, let's say you do a 7070 in High grade mint state as your end goal, that's more than 50 and way more than 20. Add in the gold and the new sets not included in the 7070 and you have over 100 coins. And if you want to include a few high value examples even 100 coins is limiting . Add a currency type set and there are another 100 plus notes.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4380 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I prefer my coins in albums and like complete sets

Me too. My albums would fit in a box of approximately 3 cu ft / 0.1 m3.

If you are doing OFEY for any considerable period of time, rather than type collecting, it simply is not possible to fit in one coin box, unless you were to just throw in the loose coins.

And yeah, you can fit a lot more unslabbed coins in any given space, so I'd first throw out the idea of having any slabbed coins, if I were to set an arbitrary space limit on my collection.

Edited by tdziemia
01/21/2021 09:59 am
Valued Member
Korea, Republic Of
446 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lembafc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes and no. I have already begun downsizing my collection to have more vibrant, high-grade coins. But, could I narrow it down to 20? Nooooo way. :) I had around 50 or so slabbed coins. I've tried to narrow it down, but I've only shaved off around 9.
Learn More...
United States
96065 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Clowns scare me lol

Quote:
Dolls scare me.
Both are nightmare fuel for me.

Except for Bozo, the one from my youth on WGN.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4797 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure I could get all the way town to 20 coins, but I think I could come close. After finishing my 7070 set I decided to work on two different sets of "special" coins. One set consisted of a simple "proof" type set of US coins and the other set was "key dates" of various 20th century coins. And then there are just a couple of "extra special" coins that don't fit into either category but which I just really love (such as the 1799 Silver Dollar I purchased in honor of my father when he passed away and the 1935 "Hudson" Commemorative Half Dollar that I purchased just because it's the weirdest U.S. coin ever made).

Taken together, it's probably around 24 or 25 separate coins. Shall we count?

OK, so that's actually 28 coins. If I had to, I guess I could bear to remove the 1942 proof Mercury dime and the 1942 proof Liberty Walking half dollar, which would get me to 26. That's it, though!

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Learn More...
United States
96065 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2101 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Connor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Barry...I never get tired of looking at your proof Morgan. That is a beauty of a coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3080 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Barry your missing the modern coins :)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4380 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Drop-dead-gorgeous-coins certainly worth more than my entire collection.

Thank you!
Edited by tdziemia
01/21/2021 9:55 pm
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 66 / Views: 1,598Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05