Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1993 LMC Please Grade And Help Me Understand Abrasion And Coin Storage

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 237Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  6:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am posting these thinking they would be above 65, but I see that my handling of the coins from the LCS really resulted in friction and abrasion, lesson learned. How do you store coins purchased individually from the LCS so as not to damage in transit? The abrasion marks again at the bottom, that likely is due to the coin packaged in a 2*@ flip and getting scratched as it slid in?

Pillar of the Community
United States
946 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
unsure how to subtract for those coat scratches on what otherwise could be an MS-66 coin, MS-63? AU-58?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4006 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2x2s should not scratch coins. You aren't supposed to slide them in. They are put on the holder which is then folder open and stapled shut.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1313 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
2x2s should not scratch coins. You aren't supposed to slide them in. They are put on the holder which is then folder open and stapled shut.

Probably talking about the clear plastic pouch type flips. Alot of coin shops use those for sales

Pillar of the Community
United States
2942 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2021  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Per posted photos, I'm going with MS64. Light abrasion on the obverse limits the grade. Decent photos!

At the coin shop do you examine the coins under modest magnification while moving them to change lighting angles?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16864 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent example! 66RD, shot at 67RD.

THOSE LINES ARE NOT SCRATCHES, ABRASIONS, DAMAGE, ETC! This is a NORMAL part of the minting process due to the weak striking pressure the mint uses. Everything you see was on the coin when it dropped out of mint's press.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
946 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thad, I've never seen any lines like those on Abe's coat on MS Zincons other than what the OP has showed here. Do you have another example you can post?
Pillar of the Community
United States
770 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KYCopperCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen those lines commonly on moderns zincolns, I always assumed they were on the planchet and due to the weak striking the lines are not removed.
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, learned some new info to dispel for this coin that the marks were caused by my storage practices. I have other examples of this issue here and can provide more if needed for others to find later.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54703 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say MS-67RD.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16864 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thad, I've never seen any lines like those on Abe's coat on MS Zincons other than what the OP has showed here. Do you have another example you can post?

I'll start a new topic in moderns so everyone can learn.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
946 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
good info there, thanks Thad
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 237Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05