Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Q. Fufius Calenus & Mucius Cordus. Serrate Denarius - Doubts?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 164Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
816 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  3:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This being my first serrated coin, I'm not really sure if I'm just overthinking this. It might also be that I'm stunned that I was to purchase a great lot at a decent price. (I will post the rest later)

So I'm putting it out there for some opinions. In hand, the coin is stunning and the fabric and deposits on the reverse looks genuine. But the weight and maybe a casting seem is making be a wee bit doubtful. Any opinions would be appreciated.

The weight on the examples I've researched are between 3.2 - 3.9 grams.

If I've attributed it at all incorrectly, please let me know (sorry for the pics they're not so great.)

Q. Fufius Calenus & Mucius Cordus. Serrate denarius, 2.7g (18mm). Rome, 70 BC. Obv: Jugate heads of Honos and Virtus right, labeled HO and VIRT respectively; KALENI below. Rx: Italia (labeled ITAL) clasping hands with Roma (RO), CORDI in exergue. Crawford 403/1. Sydenham 797. RSC Fufia 1.

Thanks

Pillar of the Community
United States
816 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not looking good for this denarius, I've had a few say it's a cast.
Learn More...
United States
18617 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't see the parting line in your pics @tc, but for me that would be a clear indication of it being a fake. Perhaps the serrations around the edge were used to at least partially obscure this aspect.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
1156 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, there is a seam clearly visible in the horizontal edge photo. [Edit] Looks like you may also have identified the feeder channel.
Edited by Kushanshah
01/28/2021 11:58 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
816 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2021  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, sometimes we take a shot and hope to hit it big. The seller has a 30 day money back so I went for it. Here are the pics of the lot, I'm only familiar with the Romans though. If the Mark Antony checks out, then I'm fine even with this dud.

Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 164Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05