Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1879 S Morgan GSA Unc ... Can One Of These Be Graded Details?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 498Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
455 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  5:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add johnjkedel to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I got this many years ago when the GSA Morgans were being sold.
I agree that it is uncirculated - even a pretty nice one - but - do you think it would be detailed because of the cheek hit , or just reduced in grade?

Pillar of the Community
United States
7911 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Without the hit that looks like a MS65+ or MS66 coin all day long! I believe it would straight grade especially in the GSA holder, (Which you want to keep it in) no details to worry about with the GSA pedigree. Too bad it isn't the CC you'd have enough to get a new car/truck or a down payment on a house. LOL

If it's not a planchet defect I need better close up photos to tell definitively, but will go with a hit from another coin for now. It might be a MS64+ coin still, as that is really the only mark or flaw on the coin beyond a very minor and normal scuffing of the fields.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=140440
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
455 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnjkedel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Westcoin ... I was hoping to hear something in that direction.
It won't be going in for grading until my next mailing - about 6 months away.
I will keep it in it's original GSA holder.
re CC : if only.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56880 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I respectfully disagree and would not rate this above MS-63 even without the hit.
Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the Frog. That hit is in the key area, MS-63. The reverse is an easy 65. Unfortunately, Morgans are graded based on the obverse.
Edited by psuman08
01/29/2021 8:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2327 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you might be able to squeeze a MS64 out of this one.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10069 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2021  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the reverse would come in at MS65. the obverse without the hit would be MS64. tough to net this one as that hit is right in the sweet spot and fairly significant. I think it grades MS64 but value wise it would come in around 63 $$ due to the hit
Pillar of the Community
United States
1130 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2021  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is low MS. Maybe MS62-63. The obverse definitely drags the overal coin down.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1986 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2021  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see this coming it at MS-63. The GSA 1879-S Morgans are absolutely flat on price from MS-60 through MS-63 right now, with only a small bump for MS-64. That's one of the quirks of this current market.
Pillar of the Community
United States
602 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2021  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-62 with the hit I think
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1986 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2021  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-60/61/62/63 GSA 1879-S Morgans are selling just south of $200 right now. MS-64 GSA 1879-S Morgans are selling just north of $200. The stagnant demand has compressed prices to a flatline. For this coin, it literally wouldn't matter what grade was assigned, the price would be the same. Yes, that's an irrational market.

I can't remember the non-CC GSA market being this dead. It's a great opportunity for buyers IF anyone is willing to sell in this market.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56880 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2021  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With respect, anyone who would pay even close to $200 for this coin needs his head examined.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
455 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2021  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnjkedel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In any case - as I recall it only cost me around $5 way back when.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2327 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2021  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In any case - as I recall it only cost me around $5 way back when.

Well you certainly didnt lose at that price
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22024 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-63 for me.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 498Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05