Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Medium Coffee Double Milk

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 373Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
863 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2021  4:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add sarkany to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Eyes were getting crossed. Head ache crept in as were the walls of my humble abode. Enough. Throwing open the curtain I noticed a rare sight. The sun had come out. For the past few days it has been unseasonably warm. No climate change so say the politicians!
Should I? Why the halibut not. Going to the spare bedroom I opened my digging bag (in younger years it held my hockey gear) lovingly putting together Quota Guru #2. My pulse quickened as I was going to get outside albeit for only an hour. Much better half was off at two.
Going to a park nearby I noticed that the lake was still ice bound (p1) . Hoping the ground was soft. Yes sir! First target a penny which will be added to the "Whenever back to the UK Fund." Very first target and this whimp began to moan and groan. All that time in a static live style ; or was it all that stagnant time? Dug a few more coins in the mush feeling each swing of the coil in my shoulder, each bend in my knees. Eyeballed a Tim's Coffee Gift card followed by a Sobey's one. First thought was that someone had broken into a car or stolen a wallet. None was found.
Hit a set of keys with the Statue of Liberty key chain. I have never been to that "Big Apple" but many a times at the one here in Berwick (p3).
Picked up Marie and we hit Tim's....$1.10 on the card (did take covid measures with finds). Oh well still have the other one. Who knows? (p2)
Got home in time to watch Bayern beat Berlin. Will pay later for my 3o minutes in the sun.

United States
39 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  01:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Igor22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've oftentimes thought about making a trip to the UK to do some metal detecting. I understand the laws are really tight on metal detecting. Is there certain places to stay away from, or possibly groups to get in touch with that can point me in the proper areas and other information?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8325 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  03:57 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've oftentimes thought about making a trip to the UK to do some metal detecting. I understand the laws are really tight on metal detecting. Is there certain places to stay away from, or possibly groups to get in touch with that can point me in the proper areas and other information?

You pretty well have to get permission to detect anywhere, other than on a beach. Generally people turn a blind eye to detecting on public footpaths - if stopped, you can always say you're looking for a ring you lost the other day.

There is no actual law saying you can't detect on village greens, city parks and public commons, but there are usually laws about removing or damaging plants, and local authorities tend to use them against detector users. It's best to ask permission of the parish or town council. Usually they say no, but occasionally they say yes!

Farmland is the best place for finding things like Roman coins and medieval hammered silver. You should always get permission from the owner. In many cases the farmer will already have given exclusive permission to a local club. If you do get permission to detect on farmland, it's best to reach an agreement with the owner about how you will split any finds. There are also Treasure Trove laws concerning the discovery of objects of value. A single coin would not be treasure trove as it would almost certainly have been an accidental loss, but a hoard of coins, probably deliberately buried, should be declared to the authorities and would be classified as Treasure Trove.

Detecting on archaeological sites and anywhere recognised by English Heritage as an Ancient Monument is completely taboo, unless you are invited to do so as part of an official archaeological investigation.

If you are visiting the UK, there's quite an active detecting community online and a monthly magazine called Treasure Hunting. There are also clubs around the country who may grant you temporary membership. There are also public rallies throughout the summer that anyone can join (obviously not this year owing to COVID-19) - you show up, pay the farmer or landowner, and keep anything you find unless it happens to be Treasure Trove... At these events they also have competitions, where they 'seed' a field with tokens - usually pre-decimal British pennies with numbers painted on them - and each number corresponds with a prize like a bottle of wine or detecting accessories.

Look here: https://www.treasurehunting.co.uk/
Edited by NumisRob
03/01/2021 05:40 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15031 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sarkany , you always seem to put together a nice detailed story to you Metal Detecting posts .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Igor22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you NumisRob.

I have searched a little online looking for metal detecting groups or possibly some sort of Metal Detecting Outfitter that would offer Metal Detecting outings for visitors. But my searches were not very successful.

Of course permission must be granted from the land owner, no different than the lands I metal detect on here in Michigan....but here we do not have the heavy regulations on antiquities that are discovered like in most of Europe.

I have found some very interesting coins and other items here in my area....some having good value. I'm my area I am very lucky to find a mid 1800s coin. The area I live did not become developed until around 1840. So, finding any coins before the mid 1800s is next to impossible.

For many years I've wanted to not just watch videos of someone dig up a coin from the 1400s or older. Especially when some of the people in the videos are so nonchalant about these old coins and other items because they are so often found. Yes, I understand that it takes many hours of digging trash before digging 1 decent coin or item, no different than here in my area....but digging up 3 or 4 hundred year old European coin is treasure in my eyes.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
863 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  05:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sarkany to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Go to the Official Canadian Metal Detecting forum. One of the sponsors there is in Colchester...they have detecting tours. Expensive and the locals strongly suspect that they seed the areas that they bring detectorists too

I have a mate over there that I stay with and we have permissions plus rallies that we attend. That is the rout to go.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1256 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That Coin Dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At the end of this month, I journey to California, where I will be detecting in the mojave desert for gold. It will be a fun time!
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if
My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you! A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification. I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 373Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.6 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05