Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1923 Standing Liberty Quarter For Grading

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 436Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2909 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2021  9:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The white lines on reverse are marks not scratches.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2219 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
649 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2021  05:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-20 for me as well...just a little too much wear on the reverse for a 25.
Nice one!
smat
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15085 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2021  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-20 Minus . Not a fan of this coin .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
9965 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2021  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF20.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56106 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2021  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Considering the well-worn reverse and only one sharp digit in the date, I'm at F-15, VF-20 at a stretch.
Edited by Coinfrog
02/06/2021 4:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3068 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2021  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lacquered?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2909 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2021  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin is not lacquered. The coin has good luster left in the protected areas that is showing up on the photo. I got the light a little too hot on the photo.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3068 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2021  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will go VF-35
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15085 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2021  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2nd set of photos shows a nicer looking coin . Still holding to VF-20 .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2219 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
56106 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2021  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You get one sharp digit in the date for VF-20?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15085 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2021  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bruce , I somewhat see your point with the date but I'm only looking at the the rest of the coin . This said I would never pay VF-20 for that coin . Still not a fan .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1932 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2021  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The luster makes me pause here. It looks genuine, rather than a retoning old cleaning.

I see some details that are a bit inconsistent with mid-grade wear, such as the buttons on the gown and the strength of some of the rivets in the shield. The inner shield is largely gone, suggesting extensive die polishing. IMHO, this coin may be from an overpolished obverse die, and may also have a bit of an uneven strike, along with the obvious wear.

With the hint of luster, I could actually see this one coming in at VF-30, with a possible eye appeal knock to VF-25. That said, it wouldn't snag VF money on a bourse floor, regardless of thew slab grade. This is one that would price lower (an eyeball F) to reflect appearance, rather than technical grade. There is only an $8-$10 swing in price, here, from F to VF.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22024 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks VF-20 details to me. Surfaces do not look original, definitely cleaned at some point.
Edited by IndianGoldEagle
02/24/2021 4:39 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 436Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05