Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1960 D 1 Cent Hyphen?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 222Next Topic  
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2021  11:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SMPTX to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Howdy:

As I progress through coins that were left from 2 generations, I came across 2 different cards of pennies that I cant find any info on. If I can once again lean on the great folks here in the Coin Community for input, I appreciated it.

The first is several uncirculated 1960-D Pennies that "look" to be different. My Grandfather has 3 of them and are in some type of plastic and stapled to a card that states "HYPEHN B-E". Taking a closer look at all 3 coins, I notice that the B and E in Liberty are pressed close to each other making it look like a hyphen between the two letters and the bottom portion of the "B" is filled in. There are 3 like this in uncirculated. I have provided a picture.

The second is several cards of pennies that again are in plastic stapled to the card. There are 6 pennies on each card. 3 are "D"s are 3 are no mint mark - all are 1960 uncirculated. As you can see in the picture, the only thing marked on the card is left row "LARGE", middle row "MEDIUM" and third row is marked "SMALL". I took a picture but didn't remove the pennies from the plastic to get a close up. Any ideas?

Third is a few cards with uncirculated 1960 D's that have "High D, "Even D" and "Low D" cant find any info of this.

Probably will not be able to tell much from those still in the plastic, but the markings on each card ever heard of it?

Thanks in advance

Mark

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Edited by SMPTX
02/09/2021 11:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1601 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2021  11:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a good one. Called a "BIE" error which really is a "variety". Caused by a chipped die. There's a website you can look it up on but I can't remember it. Someone else will comment on the website I'm sure,
Everything can change in just one day.........

Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Pillar of the Community
United States
1743 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2021  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are a bunch of die break varieties in LIBERTY generically called "BIE" varieties. Your "hyphen BE" is in the same category, you might find a specific reference somewhere like here http://cuds-on-coins.com/lincoln-cent-bies/
1960 comes in both "large date" and "small date". I'm guessing that's what it refers to, although I've never heard of a "medium" date.
High, even, and low "D" probably refers to the mint mark position. With 1.5 billion minted, there's probably more mint mark positions than just those three. Perhaps there was a reference book that called them out like that so perhaps someone else with more knowledge will comment.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11473 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2021  04:25 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

and

In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

"If we continue to accumulate only power and not wisdom, we will surely destroy ourselves."
-Carl Sagan

"I am a donut!"
-John F. Kennedy
Pillar of the Community
United States
1003 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2021  07:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55723 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2021  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rothery calls it.

to the CCF!
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2021  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SMPTX to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As always, thank you everyone for your help!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49927 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2021  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is more of a die event. The die was normal when it was created and struck many cents. As the die aged, the die chips started to appear. The term variety is usually applied to something different on the die when it was created. So these are actually die events. We didn't start off with wrinkles, they developed as we aged. This is an aging dies woes.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
152 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2021  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nemlas to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow Coop. I like your new glasses.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 222Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05