Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Editing Images, What Can Be Done?

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 812Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
7065 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool pics!

Quote:
Today I created a few images with Photoshop that took me years to figure out. But I thought I'd show it. Not giving out the clues yet, but just opinions on ideas and how it could be used:

Trying to present this properly.

I want to aid others who might want to make graphics such as these a lot more easily than taking years (although I very much respect the time put in to learn Photoshop!).

In 2003 I was shown a much more logical and simple laid out program by a professional graphics artist and friend, Bob Alexander. He had bought/used programs like Photoshop, Corel, and every other program he could buy to compare and try to find the easiest one (time saving) on the same level as Photoshop's abilities.
Ulead Company's Photo Impact (not program of same name by another company) was the best one he found. Most people pick the program up quickly without the need for the manual b/c the layout is just too logical and user friendly.
Note in the pics below that any text, borders/frames, arrows, shapes, and all their attributes are easily and totally user definable with an easy interface. This includes shapes/pathways, shadows, 2D vs 3D, backdrops, fills (gradients and materials - also customizable simply) etc. can be done with UPI. As you define one attribute, options for more definition can be accessed with a right click until you reach the end of your editing. Then clicking Ok steps you backward to your original point of option choosing. These type of graphics/text actions are where the power of UPI lies.

Putting graphics (like Bugs Bunny) into an image and merging with objects (like where he is holding the coin), take learning how to copy/paste resize, and then zooming in and erasing pixels )other methods out there - but this is simplest for a beginner). Those actions can be done in about any graphics program. The power of UPI is what was mentioned before.

Wy have most never heard of UPI? It was not put out by a huge company like Adobe. So UPI remained in the shadows. Version 8 (I use 10) I believe will do whatever graphics/text you see below. Corel bought out Ulead after V.10 and ruined the program by dumbing it down and removing the user-friendly/logical interface (I ea. upgrade and used them).

The power it has for text manipulation; frames and borders; warping and wrapping; material design and selection; 3D options for anything; shadow (defining attributes position etc.) is unparalleled.

The Cost? 10.00-20.00 used on eBay! It was only 75.00 when the company was still in business.

Some of you are familiar with the graphics I have posted, and those graphics attest to the power of this program. I am not an artist! Some samples of what has been posted over the years are below. UPI made it easy for me to do without taking a course, reading the manual (seriously), and/or watching tutorials. "Ain't been there, ain't done that!"

First a taste of the power:
To make the name "COOP" appear as it does in Coop's first graphic is really easy.
After typing "COOP" simply pick the shape of the curvature by left clicking a "tile" of that curvature from the "Easy Pallette" which is always accessible on the side "dock."

BUT...this is no paint by numbers program!

Right clicking on the same tile shows a pop up edit attributes option/window with every imaginable attribute of that curvature being selectable/user definable by a click.

Want to change the text? Click on the now-altered text and edit like in any word processor. The program keeps the formatting and dynamically formats as you type to fit your parameters.

To make the circular text in the middle of Coop's graphics:
Type the text you want to be appear circular, open the Easy Pallette as before, find the Text Wrap section and click the circular one.

- right click the tile and the pop up, like before, allows tweaking every attribute of the text's pathway.

Frames and borders: Click on the add frame button and a Pop-up appears allowing everything from thickness, material fill (including a pop up tool for defining new materials and/or loading them), shading (defining its colors, direction, new ones, loading them, saving them etc.), shadows (and all options you can imagine, etc). And each time you hit OK for a pop up, you are back where you were before. Mnay more editable options inside that window.

How long did it take to learn the program enough to make a graphic like Coops that he said takes years in Adobe? Don't shoot me Coop !

I was literally making stuff like that after a couple hours (1998!) of first opening the UPI box. Oh, the warped image in the middle took longer as I did not know about the warping tools. And making every item in those graphics 3D instead of 2D is one option click for each.

OK, I did have some basics behind me such as knowing what a text tool was, a brush, a pallette, and was familiar with a graphics program interface (Deluxe Paint IV for the AMIGA platform)...had no idea what a magic wand was though!

One more thing - you don't NEED to use the Easy Pallette and tiles/options. The program allows everything to be done manually as well. This is NOT a "paint by numbers" program by any means.

Try it...you'll like it!

Cons:
1. Ulead was bought out by Corel who "improved the program by dumbing it down to make it very complex requiring memorization of steps, multiple more clicks to achieve what was a simple task, etc. starting in version 11.

2. It only runs on Windows - meaning I run windows on my Mac and then can run UPI (acts like a native Mac program though with dockabliity etc.). In fact UPI is the ONLY reason I run anything Microsoft anymore - there are no Mac programs to compare to UPI without spending hundreds.

Previous graphics posted (many more) in this forum in the past:

The pill itself was not made by me. The mill wrapped onto its bottom was put there eby me, but I did not draw the mill. Everything else took about 10 seconds.

Kennedy text:Circular text below simple to make with all its texture, shape, starting and ending arc, linked together in a logical layout. To change the text, I would click on the text and type - the format is applied automatically and dynamically.

1967 and SMS - type, choose material tile, choose warp tile. I liked them like they were or could edit.

Below: Made the curve by drawing the curved line, right clicked the line, chose <add text to curve>, started typing the text and it was formatting to the line as I typed. There was some tweaking for spacing.
Frames and background very simple with click options linked in logical sequence (literally 10 seconds to do that part).

The hardest part about making the NIA currency shown was finding the elements online to use and then making them artistically look right together.
The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Learn More...
United States
98119 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Always love seeing the J-Buck make an appearance or two.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4752 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've always been gun shy about trying anything like Photoshop. Looks like this program is spectacular!
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
7065 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have an ebay alert to your mail box for "Ulead photo shop 10" although there were a couple version 8s when I looked. Though I do not think fitting text to a curve is in V8. I think that is in V11 - which is the only reason I use 11 (and that is rare). Nonetheless, if you had to fit the text to a curve, you would need to put editing points on the text and then move them. Even that might be able to be figured out just by poking around. Approach it as a game in finding out what you can do. I totally enjoyed myself. It was like Christmas every time I got back ito the program b/c I would fin out something different!
And there is SOOO much more power I do not use, need, or know how to use b/c never needed it!
The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PPorro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's something relatively new that might compete with Ulead, it's current and still being upgraded and updated and affordable. I have no connection to this software. Free 90 day trial, which already made me like it. Instead of some barely useful trial that I couldn't get into what the software was about.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/ $24.99, not an annual, not a sub, not one of those tricks. $24.99 for the license.

Personally for editing, I have Adobe Photoshop Elements. Baby Brother to full Adobe PS. But when they went to Creative Cloud and subscription, that was the end for me. Elements is stand alone, not CC subscription. And most of my editing is real world photo, News and Editorial, where creative editing is unethical. I don't do much with creative alterations.

As long as this is about editing software, Irfanview is my most used for quick editing, conversion and all kinds of things. FREE! I love free. https://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm IView is not a complicated editor and does many simple tasks. It's your basic free, utility.

@coop how do you make those backgrounds? Nice colors. Some of them look like they could be seamless, where the pattern repeats and there are no ends. I mean matching edges on the sides and top and bottom, which makes them full the desktop, with no apparent borders.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50146 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  11:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The method for me is different on the curved letters. I type the phrase, don't flatten the image and select the Polar Coordinates to curve the devices in a circle. Just enough fit the width of the image. That curves them in a circle with the letters curving upwards. To make it curve to have the letters curing in the opposite direction, you rotate the image 180 degrees. The location of the letters are important. If the letters are to high, then they are a smaller curve. To make them the best way is to have the letters 3/4 down the page. To make them curve the other way, put the images 1/4 the way down from the top, and rotate the letters 180 degrees. I guess I'll have to make some visuals to show this better.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
7065 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You and I think alike Coop! I just got done making visuals for UPI in case others wanted to see the interface. I only did a circular text, and made one modification just as an example.

The following three basics allows intuitive creation/editing.
1. Left clicking selects (nothing new here!)
2. Right clicking an item you are working on brings is for editing.
- A menu allowing logical selections for editing options (access to popups, shadows, etc.)
3. Using the "Easy Palette" is the easiest/fastest way to modify objects/text (enlarge the pic and look at the Easy Palette options available).

Opened and typed the text using the selected text tool.
Note the editing Pop Up.

Click the Easy Palette Button at the right

All of this can be done using the tool bar at the top, or if you prefer memorizing every little step to make an affect...use the menus.

Again - knowing the easy palette is there and selecting or right clicking a tile is what makes everything after that intuitive.

BTW - if you accidentally, for example - close the initial text pop up, what do you do?

Well since you are working on text...the best most logical place to find how to open the pop up again would be...the text correct?
- Right click the text and the menu that comes up has multiple options for editing, shadows, pathway, etc, including showing the pop up again.

I found how to use this program by remembering left to select, right to have options come up. And when I didn't know where to go, I just right clicked on what object I was working on.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50146 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first three images on this thread were the same basic image altered with different steps:

Just used the "Distort selection and Reduced the Spherize Tool all the way to the left to make image 2.

Original photo, Stylize to Glowing edges to create Image 3.

Simple click to make the other two images from the original image.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50146 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also do a lot of color editing. Like changing black white photos into color. I do it the layer method.

The original image was a picture of me just a few days old.

Richard S. Cooper

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50146 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Mostly images of my home town where I grew up in Iowa.

Putting images together with a background and adding in one of my die cast cars and people from different images with me years ago.
Richard S. Cooper

Pillar of the Community
United States
7065 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suspected a warp tool.

In UPI the borders are editable using the Easy Palette (EP) as shown above for the text. Actually any object you are working on is changeable by the same means as above.

Glowing options etc. are in the EP. Again, they are all in one logical place and all together (and like above, editable with a right click).

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50146 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone recognize who is in the car?
Richard S. Cooper

Pillar of the Community
United States
7065 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@cop
Know what I mean Vern?

Affinity program:
I just spent several hours with the free download of Affinity - the program suggested by PPoro. I watched the 2 hour tutorial and was impressed with some of its features. But just as with Adobe, you have to know where to look for (menus, buttons, etc.) in order to get the options you desire. power is there, if you want to spend a long time learning the layout of the program and where to go to find each of the options.

Putting text on a curve is easy in Affinity if: You already know where the path tool is, where the nodes tool is, what kind of nodes you are adjusting (and how to change them), where the places are to adjust the letter spacing on the curve, when you know here to go to adjust the inter-letter spacing, etc.

The power of UPI is in the approach.
1. Type text - an auto pop up allows all editing shown in the Affinity tutorial.
2. Open Easy Panel (the one thing you have to know its location and what it is).
3. Select what you want to do to the text from the menu (change material, emboss, path, etc., etc.)
4. Choose a tile and click.

UPI User-Friendliness/Intuitive Concept: When you make something, rather than having to try to remember where to go for each change you want, al similar changes are categorized together (like a menu) in the Easy Panel. Clicking on a selection there brings up a visual representation of tiles showing what will happen if clicked.

They devoted a section of the Affinity tutorial in how to find the text editing pop up when you accidentally close it. You have to remember to go to the view panel, find the selection to show the pop ups then select the proper popup. OK - a memorized pathway.

UPI?
Remember the concept of logic and simplicity.

Where would you think would be the easiest place to locate something having to do with text (including the pop up)?
How about linking it to the text itself?
So right click the text and a menu of many text-editing-oriented options appears including to show the pop up.

I will say Affinity has some features I really like...I guess this is to be expected over a 10+ year old piece of software such as UPI. I would definitely choose it over Adobe b/c there is no leasing and its only 25.00! It does appear easier to use and has some other options than Photoshop does not.

Some people will understand when I saw UPI is worthy of calling it Amiga-Computer-minded for usage.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50146 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jim Varney (Earnest) and Rodney Dangerfield (I get no respect!)
I've edited cars. (The hard way, now I know a lot easier way to do it)

I like the design of the PT Cruiser. So I worked with that for a time.
Richard S. Cooper

Edited by coop
02/27/2021 6:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
7065 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ernest's image is so distracting I didn't see Rodney!

Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 812Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05