Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1921 Nickel 5 Cents It Is Graded, But?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 515Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1277 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2021  10:32 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
is this what a 1921 5 cent looks like in EF 40?
well PCGS could have fooled me....
what about you experts?
what am I missing here? do they give points for rarity?
H
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/193886497693?ul_noapp=true

*** Title corrected by Staff to the proper date ***
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4767 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2021  10:34 am  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes..point for rarity I assume..or they just have low experience with this series in lower grades. I'm yet to see a circulated 1921 where I agree with the PCGS grade. They seem to do the same with the 1947 C7ML half.
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 20 year old collector from the GTA area of Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5216 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2021  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
US grading standards are about to 1 grade higher than Canadian standards.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4767 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2021  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
US grading standards are about to 1 grade higher than Canadian standards.

Although true for a few issues in certain grade ranges, this is not accurate..
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 20 year old collector from the GTA area of Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
627 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2021  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's one sorry looking EF-40.

The crown band isn't clear or defined. VF-20 at best, in my opinion.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1814 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2021  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wow
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3517 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2021  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It may have to do with the exact "who" submitted it to be graded.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1091 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2021  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F-12.
Maybe F-15 on a good day
Valued Member
United States
301 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2021  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Check 1960NYGiants's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1960NYGiants to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Every PCGS graded 1921 5c I've seen is over graded. I've been trying to find a properly graded, F to EF, example for over 20 years. The subject coin is no better than VF20 IMHO.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
547 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2021  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking F15 - VF20...but are those some hairlines on the obverse? It's a little hard to tell as the photo is pretty washed out.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1277 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2021  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all. you confirmed what I thought.
However, I am disappointed that this seller has the courage to post it as such.
They seriously should know better
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3858 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2021  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
H He doesn't need Courage to post it for sale at all .
Perfectly good listing ....a PCGS XF 40. Genuine coin .
The fact that it does NOT confirm to current Canadian
standards , I think we all agree on that , is up to a potential
buyer to determine . You have brought to our attention
what many on this forum have said for years .....buy the coin
Not the holder . Your example here is a text book case .
To flip the coin so to speak , you and I as well as others
here , participate in European Auctions on occasion .
How many times have we all made rips because of the European
( much harder grading ) Standards , ie buying a European or
UK graded EF , then getting in a 63 holder here ! .....
MANY !
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1277 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2021  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
J, I totally agree with you on all levels here.But I did not expect that from LT.
but, WHY do we need TPG's at al, if it is always (as with the informed") boils down to "Buy the coin".
Is there such a thing like "trusting a TPG"? and we are not talking NNC.
some, a long time ago, I raised this exact question and was snipped (I believe it was way back at the copper forum). was told it is in part so the younger and inexperienced crowd, especially young and new collectors and the elderly, can learn and be informed what to buy without much risk.
it is a totally new can of worms....and maybe someone will open it?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3517 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2021  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
H ..... You were not removed from the Copper Coin site. I was the moderator (the only one) there and I never cut you out. It was probably CCRS which turned, surprisingly, very pro-TPG, especially ICCS, before we all quit there..
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1277 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2021  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okie,
I did not mean of accusing you of anything and I am sorry if it came across that way.
I just remember the subject of WHY TPG's have a "spot in the hobby". it became "touchy" to say the least.
Bill, it's all good...too old now to worry about "water under the bridge". Can not even remember how long ago that was...
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 515Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05