Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Searching Through 1,000 Lincoln Wheat Cents

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 872Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20164 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was it listed as UNSEARCHED?
just carl
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin_obsessed to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@just carl no, it wasn't labeled as unsearched but I'm not really into that anyway. Clearly, someone has gone through them because the coins are all after 1940 except for about 8ish. I would expect about 50-100 pre-1940 if people hadn't picked them for dates. There aren't any past AU grade either, so I think people may have pulled the shiniest ones in addition to the earlier dates. But, they didn't look too hard because there are a wide variety of dates, a range of grades up to AU, a fair amount of S mintmarks, and I have found some varieties - I'll post pictures of those soon!
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin_obsessed to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's been a while since I last gave an update! I have 4 coins to share: a 1940-D DDR,1941-D RPM-005, 1944-D RPM-016, and 1945 DDR listed as 1DR-010 (coppercoins).

I put these in 2x2s before I remembered to photograph them, so apologies for lower quality photos. The RPM-005 is listed as a "Best of" variety on Wexler's die varieties I'm super excited to have found a "Best of" variety!

Here are the coins:

1940-D DDR (extra thickness on E PLURIBUS UNUM, I wasn't able to match it to any specific varieties listed however):

1941-D RPM-005:

1944-D RPM-016:

1945 DDR (Coppercoins 1DR-010):
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jbdcboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So I'm always curious, what are they worth? I know perhaps subjective but I've
Seen numbers all over the place.
Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Check Akkdayam's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Akkdayam to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
cool finds did you just look up wheat pennies on eBay?
When you buy on eBay make sure you don't get it then realize you bought the wrong thing 3 minutes later - me

Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin_obsessed to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to Coppercoins the 1940-D DDR and 1945 DDR are maybe worth a few dollars. For the 1941-D RPM-005, maybe $8, and for the 1944-D maybe $5. However, it's important to keep these numbers in context - who knows when they were last updated or whether I would actually be able to sell these for those prices, especially with finding a buyer, fees and whatnot selling online. They are useful for determining relative value in my opinion, though! Maybe if I find a whole bunch I can put them up on Ebay sometime, but I'm gladly keeping them for now as cool finds. I really enjoy collecting varieties!
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin_obsessed to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To answer your question Akkdayam -- yep, I bought this as an 1000 coin lot on Ebay. 1000 seems to be the most popular number of coins in a lot of wheat cents. I've been watching many lots recently - It's hard to find ones that don't have prices that skyrocket, and often the BIN prices are insane. A lot of the hype about "unsearched" pennies etc drives up prices, so I always try to keep an eye out for reasonably priced lots! (This lot was not listed as "unsearched," but there is plenty to be found in my opinion!) I'd recommend watching and waiting for a deal to appear, since there are lots of lots being sold every day, so it's likely in time to find one.
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jbdcboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. I've been reviewing coppercoins to try and determine but as you say, keep it relative. That may be the price but not what you get. I found a 1946 CU-1C-01R and was excited to be able to clearly identify on coppercoins. And while I'm jazzed to find it, I could be enticed to part with it IF... the price was right!?!
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jbdcboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin_obsessed to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Totally agree Jbdcboy. Also, I just looked up the 1946 CU-1C-01R from your link. I have yet to find a coin with a cud like that - I must say you are a lucky person to own that coin, nice find!
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jbdcboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks and I totally agree. It was luck as I've been sorting through some bags and given the sheer number of coins, it's hard to eyeball every front and back. Sure look at the date but... I was lucky and it's in a 2x2.
Learn More...
United States
97930 Posts
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 872Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05