Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Inside A Chinese Coin Counterfeiting Ring

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,038Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1748 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was in Laos a couple summers ago, and in a market along with fresh meat, fruit and vegetables, a stall had a bucket full of fake coins. I wish I had taken pictures, but I think they were all French Indochina piastre. So yeah, this stuff is everywhere.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5599 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are not limiting the fakes to U.S. and European coins. I have read articles on their efforts producing middle Eastern coins too.
Valued Member
United States
266 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Check Diy89Nurm7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Diy89Nurm7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something I learned a while back is that counterfeiting is NOT illegal in China if you are copying something made before Mao took over in 1949. Anything older, as the reasoning goes, is from an impure time anyway.

It will be interesting to see if they branched out in counterfeiting moderns, too.

Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
Learn More...
United States
98373 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thank you as well for all your hard work.
My pleasure.
Learn More...
Australia
13587 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Something I learned a while back is that counterfeiting is NOT illegal in China if you are copying something made before Mao took over in 1949. Anything older, as the reasoning goes, is from an impure time anyway.

Making counterfeit pre-Communist coins is not illegal in Communist China. Making "fantasy" coins not closely resembling actual coinage designs is not illegal. Making counterfeit foreign coins is not illegal, either. Making counterfeit Communist-era coins would be illegal and mass-producing counterfeit money would probably be a good way to see your parents sent the bill for your bullet, so those coins are probably the "safest" to collect right now.

So yes, China is an excellent place for a counterfeiter to set up shop. As the photos show, the "cottage industry" of making fake coins now uses some rather large, factory-sized cottages.

As jbuck has noted, the pictures are old - they were first circulated back in 2007. I doubt this specific factory is still in production, as businesses in China often don't last that long, especially one placed in the international spotlight like this one has. A hundred others just like it have no doubt arisen to take their place.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
5599 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the pictures are old - they were first circulated back in 2007

The article came out last July,surprising the author would use 13 yrs old pics!

Quote:
A hundred others just like it have no doubt arisen to take their place.

No doubt.
Learn More...
United States
98373 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The article came out last July,surprising the author would use 13 yrs old pics!
It says "Updated 07/06/20". You will note that same link is in this topic from 2017.

What was updated? Was page showing "Updated 04/14/17" back then? Do we know when it was first published? No idea.

The inability to truly date some online articles really pains me.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2472 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are very old. These are one of the James Bucki articles (Very addictive, you start on one and end up on a loop reading more, Bucki is a very good author - sound advice and readable too).

The fact remains this fake crap is everywhere and the Chinese have a lot to answer for. One of my less educated friends bought me two coins from some Chinese seller, one was a 1795 dollar and the other was a late 1800s Morgan (Forgot date). Bouth were of some caustic and flaky metal that felt wrong. These fakes would fool no one.

The cost to him was $2 USD (He is an American from Wisconsin via Arizona), I kept them for a laugh - but yeah - no one was fooled except him (His IQ is round 80).
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5599 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1522 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Check colonialjohn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add colonialjohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes - these pictures have been around for awhile. What annoys me its how it hurts the contemporary circulating counterfeit (i.e., good fakes of the period - not replicas to fool collectors) market.

JPL
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  02:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TinyRetreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whew ... scary ... be careful out there !
Valued Member
Taiwan
337 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  06:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Everest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Counterfeiting coins or other name brand popular Western goods has been going on for decades in China. What is interesting is the counterfeiters have found a huge new market for their fake Rolex watches, Gucci handbags, Apple iPhone & etc. It is none other than China itself. These items are now being sold over China's huge ecommerce platforms and now all of a sudden the CCP authorities are concerned.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17318 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The earliest I know of the article was when it appeared on ASK.com back in 2008 possibly 2007. It may be even older.
Gary Schmidt
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,038Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05