Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This A 1995 D LMC DDO?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 562Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
5589 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not a waste of time, others may learn from it.

You'd never learn if you don't ask. We have all been and will be down this path and will never fully learn all that there is to learn about this amazing hobby
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phantasm1970 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What I have seen is that these arrows are usually pointing out minute details of things such as die dots, die clashes, die cracks, die chips and die scratches in the effort to give markers which can identify a particular variety

That's makes more sense for me now, Scuba, thanks. I was thinking the arrows were pointing at every doubled spot and it was driving me nuts trying to see/figure out what was doubled!

Quote:
Also, what your thinking that are errors are actually varieties.

Thanks for the links, John, I'll be doing a bit of reading and learning today. I think I should also learn all of the correct jargon!

Quote:
Moving the coin so that light shines from every angle tends to disprove a lot of doubled dies.

Parnelli, I agree with you on that note. At one angle it looks like something, but turn the coin a bit and there is nothing! The light really does play tricks on these shiny coins. I think maybe I get too excited and think I have something more special. :)

Quote:
That seems to me worth a lot more than a long explanation without them.

Coop, I completely agree with the idea behind the photographs, they speak a thousand words without saying anything at all. So many of us are visual learners, and you are certainly appreciated with all of your graphics. I'm not new to coins, I collected Colorado merchant trade tokens for about 35 years. It's a big difference though, trade tokens do not have so many varieties or errors since they were stamped in such small numbers. I am however new to collecting legal tender! :) It's a whole new learning curve for me, but I am definitely enjoying it. I ask so many questions because I definitely want the right answer instead of just making up a misinformed decision on my own.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50106 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Go hand in hand.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2121 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As others have said, don't give up the ghost.

It does get tricky because some MD is strong and easy to tell while others not so much. Flat and shelf-like sounds simple and will be recognized when it finally clicks to newer collectors.

I've been back at collecting only about 7 years and I'm not too proud to admit it still gets me sometimes. And when it does .

Look at this image below and see if it helps you to visualize and compare MD and Die Deterioration to a Normal coin and a true DDO (I used the G from a 1995P DDO-001 since the MD shows up well on your images of the G.)

It doesn't come close to Coops Side-By-side images but please let me know if this helps or what I might do to help see it better!

Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2021  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phantasm1970 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
please let me know if this helps or what I might do to help see it better!

Every little bit helps! I've been studying photographs of doubled-die coins, and my eyes are starting to really see the difference now.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50106 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2021  06:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like I'll have to add different images, because I didn't notice the "D" mintmark. But the coin answer is still the same. MD. But I'll make a side by side of the OP's images with the 003 DDO. That will help a lot more.

Note the differences in size of the devices. On the DDO's images all of the devices that were hub doubled are enlarged. On the OP's coin, they were showing normal sized devices with Machine Doubling. Look for the spread on the centers of the devices (enlargement of the devices) and don't look at the outsides of the devices with the flattened edges as that is where the Machine Doubling hides out.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
02/18/2021 09:36 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 562Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05