Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do You Track Your Collection?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 758Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
530 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  12:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add deadmunny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Perhaps Excel will be the best solution for me, but unfortunately I do not know how to use it. How is your table designed ?

There are lots of Excel tutorials online (ie - Youtube). Very simple to learn. I like this spreadsheet a lot not only to keep inventory of coins but for financial tracking too.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
568 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use Excel and Numista
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1200 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use excel with a few different tables to keep things organized.

1. Master ledger. Inventory of all coins (work in progress), listed by country, date, grade, variety, issues, cert, price paid, value, date purchased/sold/sale price, inventory number.

I wish I would have been more detailed on where I purchased. It is just ebay, bank, other. Best thing I did was list some bulk lots as one item (eg. Box of pennies of 5000 coins). No time to catalog and number each coin.

2. Collection list. Basically a table that shows me highest grade of each coin I am collecting and associated tables for each monarch to summarize each type set by denomination. This is pulled from master ledger.

3. The scary table. Pulls data on cost, value, sold and profit from master ledger. It's surprising how quick it adds up. I might not want to show this to my significant other...

Overall it is kind of neat to see how far I have come, looking at some of the winners/losers and it has inspired me to sell duplicates to reduce investment and free up space for stuff.

Next stage is to photograph permanent collection and label with inv number. Hopefully when it comes time to sell/pass it on, it will be an easier process as all cataloging and photos are done. The hardest part I find in selling off excess coins is taking time to photograph and price, once that part is done, listing becomes a lot easier.
Edited by purelywasted
02/21/2021 12:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1002 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  11:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, I just recently paying better attention to my collection. I should have begun years and years ago.

Right now I'm just using paper. I have used Excel in the past but now any of that info is in two or three computers that crashed/died and are now stacked in my garage unusable. I actually did back up some stuff on floppy disks (yes, from the golden ages) but my new computers can't read them.

I am basically just keeping tabs on the prices I've paid for my coins. I've told my kids that when I pass I hope they can get at least half of my costs back.
Learn More...
United States
99238 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I actually did back up some stuff on floppy disks (yes, from the golden ages) but my new computers can't read them.
If your time is worth more than $25...

https://www.amazon.com/External-Por...p/B07PNHF548
Pillar of the Community
United States
1002 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank-you jbuck! If I knew those things were so inexpensive I would have bought one years ago.

Learn More...
United States
99238 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No problem.

I have had a USB floppy for years. Now I have a USB DVD because the new laptop is too thin for a built-in.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 758Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05