Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Pictures, How Do You Guys Do It ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 539Next Topic  
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  10:04 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TheCoinQueen to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What do you use to take the pictures so close up? Because I have a really nice phone with 100x zoom and I can't get pics that close or clear. Help! I need to know !

Tia!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8344 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  10:12 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Speaking personally, I use a digital camera - an elderly Panasonic 'Lumix' which has a pretty good close-up setting. With silver and cupro-nickel coins, I sometimes use a flatbed scanner - it's not much good with dark-toned copper and bronze though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5589 Posts
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheCoinQueen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW !! really great info!! Thanks again guys ! As usual! There's an app for that! Lol
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4740 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the Forum. You've come to a phenomenal place to share and learn. Enjoy!
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
517 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canon EOS 77D on tripod with El Nikkor 75mm magnifying lens attached with a manual focusing helicoid.

Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
Valued Member
United States
487 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickels_rule to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
indeed...nice job
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
562 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and dont forget the most important thing a hecka lots of practice lol.
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gluggo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know nothing about how to shoot but I was smart enough to buy a camera stand through Ray and he helped me do an average job taking decent photos. I bought a few books and have a few videos. You tube have some good videos out there.
Here is his web site. Best money I spent. I had a good digital camera the rest is history.

http://www.macrocoins.com/example-systems-1.html
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gluggo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recently picked up a 100 mm Macro Lens for my Camera set up. Want to post some pictures. Here is my camera and new lens.

Here is some photos taken with this macro lens I think I used it under Manual mode but might of been AV. I want to say ISO 100 with a F-Stop of 5.6. The Macro lens is a 2.8 F Stop by factory. These are a Daniel Carr creation made this year. And I used Ray's camera stand to dial it all in with a teather system right to the laptop.
Last the system under the teather where I can look right into the screen to see how sharp the focus is. Take a snap then try and blow it up to see if it is really focused. Thank you Ray I could not do it with out you!

Edited by Gluggo
02/22/2021 7:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1190 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  03:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Gluggo and TobyJ - you seemed to cover one of my issues on bright/reflective coins. Nice photo's!

I have been playing around with axial light setup.
- Nikon D5200 w/40mm micro lens (macro)
- Old monitor arm adjusted for to fit camera mount
- LED light (3200-5200) adjustable dimmer (1% to 60% depending on coin)
- Picture frame with plexiglass @45' ( Think I should switch to real glass)
- Various mounting hardware and black cloth
- soft box to avoid direct light on coin
- exposure time 0 to 15 sec (depending on coin), ISO 100, manual focus

I was pretty happy with darker/toned coins

This coin has almost an obsidian black tone to it, so color is correct, though I could not get a nice shot of the dime which is a similar color to just inside the rim of the coin.

But the bright red/silver/cameo and reflective surfaces provided issues. Any thoughts on these would be appreciated or should I be using a different setup for these types of coins?

This one should have a nice light/sky blue look to it, instead of this beige'ish red. I tried going to 5200k light and still had a similar result

Edited by purelywasted
02/25/2021 04:45 am
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gluggo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Purelywasted those are some nice pictures. I can see I need to work on my white balance a bit made a change when I have time I will post up.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 539Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05