Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1879 CC Morgan Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 449Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
65 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2021  5:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Matthew23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Wanted to see what y'all think this coin is worth they are asking 89 and they said the grade is g4 wanted to see what y'all thought. Thanks

Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2021  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin rejector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO, $89 is a fair price.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4494 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2021  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
G4 seems right to me. $89 is a very fair price IMO.

My one concern is it looks like it might have been cleaned but that could just be the reflection of the capsule it's in.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55901 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2021  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Assuming there's nothing untoward under the stickers, I'd say G-04 and a very decent price.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5875 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2021  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Honest wear...looks ok at 89$!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1744 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2021  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Judging by PCGS Photograde it looks darn close to VG8. I'd want to know what's under the stickers before buying. Numismedia puts G4 at $132 and a G4 sold on HA 2/10/21 for $210.
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2021  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Matthew23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is this round dot on the reverse I looked at different ones an none of them looked like that.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55901 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2021  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not even close to VG-08, c'mon.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1744 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2021  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey @coinfrog, everybody gets to have an opinion. OP, VG8, G6 Photogrades below. OP's coin seems to have more hair detail above the ear than G4-6, that's what I noticed. If PCGS is not a good source for eyeballing coins that I'm not familiar with, feel free to recommend something else.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4494 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2021  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's important to take a wholistic view when grading coins, and not focusing on one specific area.

While yes, there is a little bit more hair detail than expected on a G-4/6 coin, most of the denticles on the obverse have been worn down and the reverse has been worn up into the devices, most notably at "DOLLAR". There is also significant wear on the eagles' frathers, especially the right wing, much more than expected than for a VG coin. You would need complete rims at a minimum to get it to VG for me IMO
Edited by Adam_E
02/18/2021 11:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2192 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2021  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would call the obverse G04, just shy of G06 given the rim wear, but the reverse barely squeezes into G04. Net G04.

Priced well IMO as well.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1661 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2021  11:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What is this round dot on the reverse I looked at different ones an none of them looked like that.

No, they don't look like that. Supposed to be the end of the branch that comes to a point. Any way of getting a better picture of that in focus?
Everything can change in just one day.........

Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Pillar of the Community
United States
760 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd also say net G4. Good price. I'm guessing the dot is PMD.
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  02:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TinyRetreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't go wrong with that price, especially if it fills a hole in your CC category.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 449Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05