Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This Coin In Your Lincoln Set ?

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 59 / Views: 1,904Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7049 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
10 complete sets. All have the 09S VSB

You are amazing indeed.

Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3678 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You are amazing indeed.

Just carl has been around so long that he got all of those coins down at the San Francisco mint on the first day of issue.
Valued Member
United States
285 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  05:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not yet for me, I'm looking for a VF-20 or higher certified one which would complete my set. I do know the demand for these 09s-vdb are quite high, keeping the values high.
In building my set, I am trying to get them all higher than a VF-20, which is not that easy.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3451 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  06:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I ever decided to do a Wheat cent set I'd probably skip the key dates in the first place unless I find them in a bargain bin or something. Not only the S-VDB but also the plain 1909-S and the 1914-D and probably the 1931-S and possibly a few others... I likely wouldn't even have the 1922 plain on my list.

(I need the 1909 VDB for my 7070 - otherwise I would've seriously considered skipping that too.)
Valued Member
United States
273 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jason39305 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My Lincoln cents Dansco album is complete except for the 14D and 09s VDB. I have come close to buying a 14d several times but the 09s vdb is out of my price range at this moment and will be for a while. I don't plan to include a 22 no d.
Learn More...
United States
97967 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My Lincoln cents Dansco album... I don't plan to include a 22 no d.
What have you or did you put in that hole? I am still looking at ideas.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3269 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jBuck, why don't you do like I did, I had no interest in getting the error coins for the Winged Liberty dimes, so I got BU coins to go into the holes.

The same with Bison nickels

Learn More...
United States
97967 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
jBuck, why don't you do like I did, I had no interest in getting the error coins for the Winged Liberty dimes, so I got BU coins to go into the holes.
Not sure I could do that. It would stick out like a sore thumb among all the G-VG-F chocolate on that page.

Today, I have been searching lowball dateless wheaties.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3619 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sure do. It was the last of the key coins aside from the 22 plain that I needed.

Speaking of the 22 plain, I will get it eventually. I dont consider it to be a necessity to call my Dansco complete, but I want it none the less.

I DO have a 22 weak D though...

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1915 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My very first major coin purchase was a 1909-S VDB. I bought it on layaway at a long-gone-LCS in the late 1960s. I still have it, in our off-site vault. It is a chocolate brown VF. It took forever to pay it off on my wages from our family's hardware store and my paper route and my other jobs mowing lawns and shoveling snow. IIRC, it cost me $90.

Good times.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1567 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  12:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Years ago a young man walked into my shop and became a regular customer, buying and trying to complete several series. His favorite was the Lincoln. He was a working man with a young family and just could not affor the keys.

Around here the factories pay on a weekly basis. I asked him if he would miss it if he put just $10 in a savings account each week. He looked at me kinda funny and said, "sure that would be easy, but why?". I told him to make it regular habit and that at this time next year he would have enough to buy an 09S-VDB in Good. He kinda laughed but decided to "call my bluff" as he put it.

The next year he came in and said he had been to the bank and was surprised at how much money was in that account. I didn't want to make him feel bad but ten times fiftytwo weeks...is a no brainer...anyway at that time I was able to get him a nice VG for that money, with some change. The next year he purchased the 09S and the 31S with a bit to spare.

After that he moved to Mercs, then buffs, ect. As the years passed he would get raises and would add to the money he put in the account. After getting the keys he starts to upgrade.

Ten years later he finished his collections and was going to start on Morgans when disaster happened and his wife found out about it and....that is another story. The point is that just about anyone can save enough each week to eventually buy the coin(s) you need to finish your set. It really is that simple.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1567 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  12:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do have an 09s-VDB from circulation in my collection....though it was picked out of circulation in the 1920s by my grandfather who lived in the San Francisco Bay area. In fact I have a complete "picked out of circulation" set in a dansco, that was filled by four different generations, including my son.

As an avid crh back in the 60s, as a kid in San Francisco it was possible to fill every "s" hole in my folder from circulation except the 09S-VDB. But did include the 09S.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15030 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The point is that just about anyone can save enough each week to eventually buy the coin(s) you need to finish your set. It really is that simple.

Maybe for the average collector , but my wife watches every dime I spend .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
9646 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not have an 09-S VDB either. Like a few others have posted, my pockets are not deep enough...
1883-O Nut
Learn More...
United States
97967 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I DO have a 22 weak D though...
That looks good enough to me.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 59 / Views: 1,904Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05