Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This Coin In Your Lincoln Set ?

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 59 / Views: 1,880Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
1562 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
T-Bop, I have no doubt that your wife is a wonderful person and the best wife ever.

For me though...before I met my wife I was debt free, had a substancial bank account, and always had a couple of hundred in my wallet ( pre-ATM days). Then I got married and my wife was constantly watching my spending and we were always in debt, living from paycheck to paycheck ect. Several years after the divorce, I got out of debt, own several properties, two companies, can be considered modestly wealthy while my ex and the man she left me for live in a trailer and are constantly broke, yet she will tell you she is not the reason they are constantly broke...So trust me I understand somewhat of what you are saying!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2181 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I can't understand why some of you guys insist on including the 22 plain in your Lincoln wheat set . It is not a Business strike , It's an error ! And I bet If there wasn't a hole for the 22 plain no collector would have even thought that it had to be included in their album or folder .

I feel you, T-BOP. I actually don't have one for the same reason. If I ever have the finances, maybe I will, but I don't foresee that anytime soon (and the 1916-D Merc is next up on my list). However, I've been fascinated by the 1955 Double Die error since I was very young, so, when finances permitted and my LCS had a desirable one, I bought one - the XF/AU coin in my avi. I paid $575 for it when I got it like 20 years ago.

And, on topic, I do own a 1909-S VDB... got mine when my LCS got a hoard of five (all were nice VF/XF coins) a short time before I bought the DD - paid $325 for it. I took the nicest one of the bunch.

CRH Nickeloholic. 1,300,000 nickels searched in five years! Already have found THREE complete Jefferson sets!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2111 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  04:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Create a plug from an old album to fill the hole until you find "the one"? Album manufacturers do this for extremely rare coins.

Lincoln cents would require something to cut the "plug" cent like a short piece of 3/4" copper tubing you can hammer on. A tubing cutter will work better than a saw or grinder to cut an even, tapered end on the pipe. Scissors might work to cut out a plug.

ps. Thank you JustCarl for your image of that part of one of your sets and congrats on completing 10 sets.

BTW- Do you want to adopt someone? I can offer a recommendation.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Edited by Petespockets55
02/26/2021 04:20 am
Learn More...
United States
97760 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And, on topic, I do own a 1909-S VDB... got mine when my LCS got a hoard of five (all were nice VF/XF coins) a short time before I bought the DD - paid $325 for it. I took the nicest one of the bunch.
Outstanding!

Quote:
Create a plug from an old album to fill the hole until you find "the one"? Album manufacturers do this for extremely rare coins
Whitman used the blue plugs from their cent folders to use as markers in a board game I had as a kid. When I figured it out, I used some of them to fill the holes I could never or would never fill, especially at that age. I moved to Dansco albums long before I acquired a budget for the semi-keys and keys. I still have those folders packed away and the plugs are still in them.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3619 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Plugging cent holes is actually fairly easy. The old P and D marker coins that came in the mint sets for a while are simply penny planchets stamped with the P or D. Its what I used to fill the VDB hole and what is in the 22 hole now. :)

Edited by smokeriderdon
02/26/2021 7:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
781 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
no, I do not have that coin yet (09-S VDB). I also still need the 14-D & 09-S. I'm almost there. those two are next on my hit list.

the only reason I don't have that coin yet is the cost. same with the other two. I filled up my folder according to what was affordable & that I could acquire the fastest. I'm saving that 09-S VDB for last. at least that's the plan. the plan could change anytime for any reason, tho.
Edited by MrPink2018
02/26/2021 10:02 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55748 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a special feeling to own and handle an S-VDB. Fill the hole with whatever your like, but you either own one or you don't.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3619 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's a special feeling to own and handle an S-VDB

100% correct!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7048 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A weird twist, but true story. The only non-error Lincoln cent my Grandfather (got me into coins) did not find in circulation was not the 22 plain and not the 1909-S VDB. He never found a 1931-S in change. So one year we bought him one for Christmas.
He had penny changers in his business, so he went through a lot of cents.
The slabbed Half dollar No G farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Pillar of the Community
United States
781 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2021  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Coinfrog & smokeriderdon:

i concur. that is a club I want to be a member of. it'll happen eventually.
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  04:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Centhound1963 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I can relate to just about every reply here in one way or another. The elusive 09 S VDB in any condition seemed to always be just out of reach for me. Recently found one in MS 64+ that I had to set down because I did not want to get my drool on it. The person selling it had several very nice Liberty nickels that I wanted as well. Little while later, I had the 09 and all of the Libertys were thrown in for nothing. I can't agree more that finally having one in my possession has been a dream for a very long time. The people at the bank where I keep it in a safety box are tired of seeing me I love to look at it often.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2111 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  07:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Whitman used the blue plugs from their cent folders to use as markers in a board game I had as a kid.

I didn't know this but it makes sense that they might try to create a use for them. It even seems like I have a vague memory of them being used in a game now that you mention it, but I can't recall which one.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15012 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bingo ?
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Learn More...
United States
97760 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or something bingo adjacent.

I wish I could remember what it was.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 59 / Views: 1,880Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05