Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1813 Bust Half Dollar O-108?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 250Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  4:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add bullchaser to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys! I've got this 1813 Bust Half Dollar and I've got no idea what variety it is... I thought it most closely resembed the O-108 variety, but there is some sort of die thing with the "O" in "OF" and I couldn't find that anywhere on any of the Overton numbers... What do you guys think? Thanks!

Learn More...
United States
18923 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@bull, I definitely see what you are talking about, but that looks more to me like an old circulation hit that moved over a bit of the bottom of the letter O. If you look at the bottom left serif of the letter F, it seems like there is a continuation of the same hit.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
51 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bullchaser to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see what you're saying, I hadn't noticed that before. So you're saying then that it is more likely damage than a mint issue?
If that is the case, do you know what Overton number it would be?
Thanks!
Learn More...
United States
18923 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So you're saying then that it is more likely damage than a mint issue?

Yes that is exactly what I am saying. However, I am not an advanced collector of this series, so you will have to wait for someone smarter than I am to help with the attribution (and potentially confirmation that this coin took a hit that changed the shape of the letter O).
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
2989 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2021  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yours is O-103, and I agree that it's a hit to the bottom of the O.
Valued Member
United States
201 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IsThisAnything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not familiar with these, but will admit that's quite a beautiful coin! What a perfect piece to display in a line of designs.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 250Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05