Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1922-D Penny - Which One Do I Have?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 375Next Topic  
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  2:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add liberty3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is more of an academic exercise than anything, but my son found this 1922 penny searching an old roll of wheat cents. He's thrilled with the find which is really all that matters (he's filled a tough-to-fill hole in his album - one I never filled in all my years hunting!).

I'm interested, though, in which one it might be. Admittedly an academic exercise given the condition, but I thought I'd ask this informed group if they had any thoughts. Did my best on the photos:

I'm guessing just a 'plain' 1922-D, but given the weaker second 2, any hope it's a 'weak D' variety? Or is it just too beat up to be able to tell...
Pillar of the Community
United States
581 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Check Onedollarbillnut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Onedollarbillnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a really worn 1922-D Wheat cent.
Tim Hughes
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55872 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, just a worn example struck from deteriorated dies.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2986 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fun find for your son! Agree it's most likely a very worn 1922-D from a late state die. Slight chance that it might be a weak D die pair 1, but hard to say for certain given the condition.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4729 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and Welcome to the Forum. You've come to a phenomenal place to share and learn. Explore and Enjoy!
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1655 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats to your son on a great find
Everything can change in just one day.........

Best Lincoln roll find & Nicest WOODY find

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
Valued Member
United States
286 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I see the 'hump' of the D mintmark, and id legitimately grade this one a straight G-4 with possible weak strike (these 1922s are known for those). This date is actually one of my favorite Lincolns to collect due to the strange year for coins in general.
Lincolncentresource.com is an excellent site to find out about Lincolns in general, and has a nice page on just the 22d.
Edited by mrwhatisit
02/21/2021 5:40 pm
Learn More...
United States
98038 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20170 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Could well be a weak D so I'd let him think that is what it is. Nothing to loose.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16937 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not any of the varieties, just a common 22D, poorly struck and worn.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Check Diy89Nurm7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Diy89Nurm7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree on the weak strike 22D that is well worn and G. I happen to see that a 1922 D G4 has a bid price of $16 today.

and

Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
Stay well,
Diy89Nurm7
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3619 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just posted my weak D in another thread. I think this may be one as well.

Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 375Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05