Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2004 Louisiana Purchase, P Silver Nickel

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 355Next Topic  
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  3:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jes2nd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is there an value in this nickel that is a silver, 2004, starnote p nickel other than the original five cents

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4723 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't collect nickels so not super familiar but what makes you say it's silver?
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Valued Member
United States
107 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
None of the 2004 or 2005 Jefferson nickels were struck in silver. You have to go back to the 1942-45 War Nickels to find a silver-alloy U.S. nickel.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2191 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just like the State Quarters, the 2004 and 2005 Jefferson nickels were plated with silver, gold and platinum by third parties for sale on tv and in the back of magazines.
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jes2nd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The lighting is messed up but reason I thought it was silver because I can't see a dual collared line on the sides. That's why I thought it was silver. here more pics. Ps. Does the * help the value?[
Pillar of the Community
United States
1919 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The star between Liberty and the date are on all nickels. Sorry no added value. it's just a circulated nickel worth face value. That was a very good question as myself never gave the star much thought
Pillar of the Community
United States
1012 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never noticed the * before. Must just be used to it being there and over looked it..
Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Pillar of the Community
United States
627 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  04:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No nickels have the copper core like is visible on the edges of dimes and quarters. Nickels are struck in a copper nickel alloy, not clad like dimes and quarters.
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  05:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BearlyHere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
3246 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your nickels are worth exactly 5 cents.

The 2004/2005 were commemorative. They were different than the ones before and after. Unless your nickels are proof and/or mint state they are only worth 5 cents.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9458 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2021  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That star was on the first nickels in 1938 until 2004 when this obverse design (sadly) ended. Sometimes seen quite distorted but normal on this obverse for many years. I miss the star.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 355Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05