Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

One Ounce Silver Bullion Coin Type Set

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 655Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1324 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  2:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jgfindring to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been working on and off on a one ounce silver bullion coin type set.
My criteria are:
1. Must be government issued / authorized
2. Must have a denomination (or in the case of the Mexican Libertad, redeemable by the government)
3. Must be multiyear, not a one or two year blip. Four year minimum. Can be same design or can change yearly.
4. Must be seriously meant to be bought / sold as bullion, not a specialty item like "Green eyed guinea pigs of Pitcairn Island" To determine this I set the criteria of must have an average annual mintage of 100,000 or more.

That being said, my current list is:
Armenian Noah
Austrian Philharmonic
Australian Kangaroo
Australian Koala
Australian Kookaburra
Australian Lunar
British Britannia, version 1
British Britannia, version 2
Canadian Maple Leaf
Canadian Wildlife
Chinese Panda
Mexican Onza
Mexican Libertad, version 1
Mexican Libertad, version 2
Niue Turtle
Russian George
U. S. Silver Eagle
S. Africa Silver Krugerrand
Somali Elephant

I just added the Somali Elephant. For many years it's mintage was too low, but it now seems to have passed my cutoff level.

What am I leaving out?
And did the Canadian Maple Leaf originally have a different face value from the current $5?

Currently working on:
Australia type set
Canada type set
Three from each country (up to 416!)
UK 20th and 21st century
IHC's! NGC certified MS-62 or better, Capital Plastics Fine or better, Dansco Fine or better, Dansco any x3, and Coin Board for wall display, any grade. (I may be a tad obsessed)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
571 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Amaths to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Niue Silver Athena Owl is at its 5th year of issue (2017-2021)

1 oz silver maples always have $5 face value since 1988
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1324 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgfindring to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been unable to verify mintages on the Silver Owl, but what I see implies too low a mintage for me to count it.
Currently working on:
Australia type set
Canada type set
UK 20th and 21st century
IHC's! NGC certified MS-62 or better, Capital Plastics Fine or better, Dansco Fine or better, Dansco any x3, and Coin Board for wall display, any grade. (I may be a tad obsessed)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
571 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Amaths to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, Silvertowne never declare the owls mintage. They are certainly not rare and likely not high mintage either.

Canadian Wildlife series ran from 2011 to 2013. Two other bullion series afterwards: Birds of Prey Series (2014-2015, 4 designs, Mintage: 1,000,000 per design) and Predator series (2016-2019, 4 designs, Mintages: 1,000,000, 500,000, 300,000, and 500,000)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1324 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgfindring to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since the Canadian ones are all short term series (less than 4 years each) I'm just lumping them all together as continuations of the Wildlife series.
Currently working on:
Australia type set
Canada type set
UK 20th and 21st century
Edited by jgfindring
02/22/2021 6:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1324 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2021  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgfindring to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the clarification on the Maple Leaf though.
Currently working on:
Australia type set
Canada type set
UK 20th and 21st century
Pillar of the Community
United States
4210 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rwanda Wildlife, Perth Mint: Swans, Emus, Wedge Tail Eagles are strong (newish) annual issues. I know there are more. My mind is just going blank right now.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1324 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgfindring to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Rwanda Wildlife series apparently does not have enough mintage to meet my criteria as a primarily bullion coin as opposed to simply a silver collectible. That's why I set a minimum average mintage of at least 100,000, as there are just too many ones out there with mintages of 500 or 1000 or even 10,000, I'd never finish.
Trying to check the Perth Mint mintages now.
Currently working on:
Australia type set
Canada type set
UK 20th and 21st century
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1324 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2021  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgfindring to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, but all of those Perth Mint ones have too low mintages for me to count them. I am really looking for coins primarily sold for bullion, which means unlimited mintage and production of at least 100,000 on average over several years.
But I do thank you for the help and input.
Currently working on:
Australia type set
Canada type set
UK 20th and 21st century
Pillar of the Community
United States
1241 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about the Chiwoo Cheonwang from South Korea and Lion Dollar of The Netherlands?
Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 100k Cutoff narrows the list down a fair bit, everything unmentioned that I know of ended up having lower mintages.

However, their prices and availability reflect that of bullion so I will include them here:

Cook Islands HMS Bounty - unlimited mintage
Rep. of Congo Silverback - avg 75k a year
Serbia Nikola Tesla - avg 50k a year
Germania Mythical Forest - avg 30k a year
Netherlands Leeuwendaalder Restrike - avg 25k a year
Manx Longboat Noble - avg 10k a year
New Zealand Kiwi - avg 10k a year

Food for thought.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1241 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2021  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Australian Dragon coins are also low mintage. And then there is Island of Man with three issues.
Valued Member
Canada
120 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2021  04:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CanadaPennies19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Republic Du Congo Silver Back Gorilla, at least 2015-2021
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1324 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2021  08:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgfindring to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Republic of the Congo Silverbacked Gorilla coins are limited to a mintage of 50,000 per year and so don't make my cut off. There are so many one ounce bullion "coins" out there that I had to have something to narrow the focus or I would just have a never ending quest. My focus question became is it intended to be primarily a government backed silver coin meant to trade at a small premium over spot or is intended to be a silver collectible sold at a higher markup and appeal to collectors primarily based on design or rarity.
Currently working on:
Australia type set
Canada type set
UK 20th and 21st century
Pillar of the Community
United States
1241 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2021  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, what is your current favorite bullion coin to collect?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1324 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2021  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgfindring to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Britannias I think, but don't have any reasoning behind that.
Currently working on:
Australia type set
Canada type set
UK 20th and 21st century
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 655Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.49 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05