Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What's Left To Collect From Circulation?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 477Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1411 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  2:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
PCGS - If you've been in the hobby long enough, you may have seen a marked shift in the types of coins you can find in pocket change. At one time just a few decades ago, say the 1970s or even 1980s, the typical coin collector could expect to find random Lincoln Wheat Cents in circulation from time to time, maybe even the occasional silver coin. Go back a couple decades earlier, and early 20th-century types such as Barbers and Standing Liberties were periodically comingling in handfuls of change that regularly included Mercury and Roosevelt dimes, Washington quarters, and Walking Liberty and Franklin half dollars.

Lincoln Cent (Wheat Reverse), 1941 1C, BN, PCGS MS66BN

Where Did All the Old Coins Go?
So, what happened? Have all those old coins just vanished into oblivion? And perhaps more importantly, what's left to collect in circulation today?

It can seem to many collectors that all the coins we now regard as "vintage" all but vanished from circulation a generation or two ago. As the United States Mint produces new coins, they replace older ones that age out of circulation through obliterating wear, collector intervention (I.E., they're intentionally plucked from the wild by astute numismatists), or other forms of attrition. Many are sadly lost to the hands of time - they're buried, stolen, or destroyed by fire or other natural disasters. The latter particularly exemplifies why collectors shouldn't get too fixated on mintage numbers when determining how "rare" a coin is; reading population reports, such as the ones found on PCGS CoinFacts, is a far better way to gauge the real scarcity of a coin.

Read the Entire Article
Pillar of the Community
United States
6335 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only common find in circulation for me has been the Wheat cent. A silver coin (maybe two a year) or a circulated proof coin would be next in finds for me having cash register access. W mint quarters are out there to find but I don't collect clad coinage so they do not interest me.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15015 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the only thing out there right for CRH is errors and virtual MS Quarters . I must have wiped out all the circulated Jefferson nickels from 38-59 pds from CRH in the 60's,70's & 80's . At least it seems that way .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Learn More...
United States
97863 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1567 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here in Central Ohio, I have a deal with several bank tellers. Looking back through my records up till 2020 I was averaging a couple of rolls of silver rosies a year. People just dont' look at their dimes. Perhaps a couple of dozen silver Washingtons and the odd Kennedy. There are outliers as I do seem to get the odd merc, franklin and even wlh. Believe it or not I see the occasional Buffalo nickel in change. Not a lot, but one every other year or so. Not county the roll I bought at the local gas station by chance 2 years ago.

I mentor the local Boy Scout "coin collecting" merit badge group. I give them books for free and teach them to crh, offering a Pizza night for the family of the Scout that fills the first book.

If you just look at post 64 collections for everything but but LWC ( post 40) and Jeffersons, amazingly my scouts have filled every book at one time or another from circulation, with the exception of the 43 zincs and for the Jeffs, I realistically start them at 46.

Roosevelt dimes seem to be the easiest to complete, followed by Washingtons then Jeffs and Lincolns.
Valued Member
Canada
64 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2021  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 829729742 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you copied that from PCGS
Learn More...
United States
97863 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2021  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
you copied that from PCGS
Uh, because it is a press release from PCGS.

CCFPress is a "robot" account that auto-posts press releases from various numismatic news feeds. PCGS is just one of those feeds.

Oh, and there is a link to the full PCGS article at the bottom of the post.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 477Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05