Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Australian 2000 Millennium 50 Cent With Incused Flag

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 606Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1420 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2021  7:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A wide number of collectable varieties exist across the Australian decimal coin series. One of the most popular varieties appears on a 50 cent piece from the year 2000. The coin was issued to celebrate the passing of the millennium and features on the reverse a stylized Australian flag, the word "Millennium," and the denomination. On the proof version, the flag is pad-printed onto the coin in color, while the circulation issue has a non-colored flag that is designed into the dies and struck in the usual way.

An Incused Australian 2000 Millennium 50 Cent, PCGS MS65. Click image to enlarge.

Normal Australian 2000 Millennium 50 Cent, PCGS MS64. Click image to enlarge.

It is on the circulation-issue coin where the variety exists, with examples featuring detailing that is either incused or in relief (raised). Specifically, the crosses of Saint George and Saint Patrick in the Union Jack are incused on the scarce variety, while the crosses are struck in relief on the standard issue. Less noticeably, but still noteworthy, are small differences in the way the surface of the Commonwealth star is presented: the star on the normal coin has a mottled appearance, while the surface of the star on the variety is smooth.

Read the Entire Article
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18524 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  12:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At 200,000 pieces released into circulation for the incused flag variety, 'scarce' would be a correct assessment, but it is certainly not 'rare'.
It appears that only one reverse die was used for the incuse flag variety, and a typical maximum number of coins were struck off it.

$40 US will buy you a typical circulated example.

The silver proof is 10 times as scarce, with 18,993 struck, but this version being a proof, is NCLT.
Edited by sel_69l
02/28/2021 12:35 am
Valued Member
Australia
371 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  02:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add karloning to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see many references to the fat letter I in the word "Millennium". I have several copies of this variation.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1742 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2021  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does the fat lettering only appear on the normal coins?
Valued Member
Australia
371 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add karloning to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dont see it in any of my proof sets.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3346 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2021  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had to look what I have.

The fat letters appear in the letters "IUM" in millenn'ium'. This isn't very common either - I have only come across examples. I don't know how many I come across but have only found one incused. I did throw in the towel and bought an example as I didn't know what I was looking for.

My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 606Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.26 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05