Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Us Railroad Tickets!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 1,822Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
447 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2021  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Railroads issued those guides as guides, not timetables... just a little nit-pick! Actual timetables changed often and I think that is why they were cheaply printed. Those travel guides, on the other hand, promoted things like popular lakes, historic attractions, mountain luxury hotels, etc. And yup, they often had nice covers and engravings. Wheat's looks like a mid-1800s one? His Bee-timetable is pretty snazzy, I rarely see any like that in my travels.
Valued Member
United States
447 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2021  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Forgot to post this oldie and small-eee

Learn More...
United States
100811 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2021  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Forgot to post this oldie and small-eee
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8743 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2021  04:42 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a couple of miles from my home is Folkestone Harbor. It used to be a major departure point for ferry services to France, and a very steep branch line linked the harbor to the main line to London. A couple of trains each day would meet up with the ferries and transfer passengers to London.

This is a ticket for a special train on the branch line organized as part of the local festival in 1991.

A train crossing the swing bridge to the Harbor Station.

After the Channel Tunnel opened in 1994, allowing direct trains from London to Paris, the ferries were withdrawn and the Harbor branch line closed. The old station has now been restored as a public open space with a number of artworks on display and a market on Sunday mornings.
Learn More...
United States
100811 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
506 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2021  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice post! Thanks Rob.
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2021  12:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mforder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the few tickets that were found inside of the "Steele Box" that I have. I 'd have to look but the may be a few more.

Learn More...
United States
100811 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here are the few tickets that were found inside of the "Steele Box" that I have. I 'd have to look but the may be a few more.
Nice mix!
Valued Member
United States
447 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2021  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like that DETROIT CITY one!
Pillar of the Community
United States
506 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one I forgot I had, because it was housed in a special album. This is a reprint from the original engraved ABNC plate, circa 1890s. The Lindell Railway was an electric trolley line in St. Louis. Each ticket is about 2" wide.

Edited by GregAlex
04/18/2021 10:48 pm
Learn More...
United States
100811 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8743 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2021  07:17 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a very old ticket but a fond memory of a beautiful journey on a hot day in the Cevennes...

French railways were going through an extraordinary phase of transformation in the 1980s and 1990s. The country was rapidly becoming criss-crossed with futuristic high-speed electric lines. Many local lines were closing, or being upgraded with new rolling-stock and losing all their character, with stations reduced to unstaffed halts with bus shelters on the platforms. But just sometimes you could still stumble upon a gem!

On September 25, 1997 I was driving through southern France checking out some hotels for the holiday company I then worked with. Stopping around lunch-time in the city of Alès, I found a parking space right opposite the train station. I popped inside to see if anything was going on, and was delighted to discover that one of the three daily trains to the village of Bessèges was just about to leave. I purchased this ticket from the ticket-office and hopped on!

It was a wonderful hour-long scenic journey through tunnels, gorges and remote villages. There were never more than about three passengers on the train, a 1960s 2-car diesel unit of the type the French nicknamed 'Caravelles' after the contemporary aircraft. Bessèges station was a complete country terminus with a small goods yard and an interior stuck in a time-warp, with separate counters for 'Voyageurs' and 'Marchandises'.

When it was time to leave, the train driver and guard asked me if I'd like to ride in the cab for the return journey! Naturally I said yes! So I enjoyed a wonderful panoramic journey (strictly illegally) back to Alès and reality!

Of course it couldn't last forever. Even in 1997 I reckoned the only reason this line remained open was because the staff in the French Railways' Head Office in Paris had forgotten that it existed! The fact that I managed to acquire a French railway map omitting the line seemed to add weight to this theory.

Sadly, one of France's oldest and most beautiful branch lines, opened in 1857, saw its last passenger trains run in July 2012...

But all may not be lost! Amazingly, on March 3 this year, the French Railways (SNCF) announced a project to reopen the line...
Edited by NumisRob
04/27/2021 07:18 am
Learn More...
United States
100811 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
711 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2021  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Lovely pictures - cute train! I will put the Cevennes on my short list for my next visit to France (whenever that might be).
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8743 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2021  06:49 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The newest ticket posted on this thread - but there's an interesting history behind it! I bought this ticket yesterday to travel to Margate:

In the 19th century, Margate and Ramsgate developed as popular resorts in Kent. Ramsgate had been a small port and fishing town for centuries, but Margate only really came into its own in the Victorian era.

Two rival railroad companies built lines to serve both resorts. The London, Chatham and Dover Railway built a line from London via Faversham to Margate, through Broadstairs and then under Ramsgate town in a long tunnel to reach a station on Ramsgate seafront. The South-Eastern Railway built a line from London via Ashford and Canterbury to an inland station at Ramsgate, heading north to Margate and terminating by the beach.

None of this was very convenient to local passengers. Anyone wanting to travel, for example, from Canterbury to Broadstairs had to detrain at Ramsgate's SER station and walk or get a cab to the LCDR station. But there was no incentive for either railroad company to make things easier for its competitor. There were also complaints about smoke and smuts from the locomotives spoiling the beach at Ramsgate!

Things changed after World War I. Mass-produced automobiles like the Model T Ford arrived in England. In 1914 cars had been a rich man's toy: now they became affordable by the middle classes. Large numbers of soldiers returning from the War had learned to drive, and many of them bought ex-army truck chassis and started their own haulage companies, sometimes using the same vehicle to carry passengers by bolting on a charabanc body. Many women had also learned to drive trucks and buses during the War, while men had been fighting overseas, and now they bought their own cars. All this was bad news for the railroads. The Government reacted in 1923 by grouping Great Britain's railroads into four major companies. All lines in Southern England were now part of the Southern Railway.

The Southern Railway linked the two systems with a new line from Broadstairs to Ramsgate. New stations were built at Margate and Ramsgate, in an American style based on stations in the USA and Canada. The SER line from Margate to Ramsgate and the LCDR approach line to Ramsgate were closed. In addition, a new halt was opened to serve Dumpton Park, a suburb of Ramsgate.

Margate Station:

Ramsgate Station:

The new arrangement was very convenient and has remained pretty much unchanged to this day.

But what about the disused tunnel at Ramsgate? It became very useful long after the last trains ran. In 1938, with the threat of war looming in Europe, Ramsgate Town Council converted the tunnel into a giant air raid shelter, building access shafts from different parts of the town. Tens of thousands of people sheltered in the tunnel during World War II, and, although Ramsgate was heavily bombed, civilian casualties were very few. After the War, the tunnel was sealed off for many years but is now open as a tourist attraction.
Edited by NumisRob
05/22/2021 1:34 pm
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 1,822Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05